Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Toyota Camry SE V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 06:45 PM
LexFather

mmarshall has done some fantastic reviews for us, out of his time. Will he be biased? Yes, we are HUMAN, we all have preferences for things and might notice some things more than others.
I will say he is very unbiased and tries to paint an accurate picture for us.

He's not on Toyota's payroll, nor Suburu's or Lexus or Clublexus

So your getting a pretty damn good review from a reliable source.

Great review dude. I do wish the sport model had better brakes. As for the exterior, I actually like it b/c its not bland. Its not gorgeous in any way but it gets some attention.

Great job!

Last edited by LexFather; 07-01-07 at 08:20 PM.

Old 07-01-07, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
mmarshall has done some fantastic reviews for us, out of his time. Will he be biased? Yes, we are HUMAN, we all have preferences for things and might notice some things more than others.

Great review dude. I do wish the sport model had better brakes. As for the exterior, I actually like it b/c its not bland. Its not gorgouse in any way but it get some attention.

Great job!
Thanks . Now, it's YOUR turn with that new G35. Let's hear it.
Old 07-01-07, 07:21 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we've had our 07 camry xle v6 for a few months now and love it... about the mirrors, i remember reading that some models have the folding mirrors. mine doesn't though.. another thing about the interior, i agree that materials used are cheaper than other toyotas in the past the overall design/look of it is nice to me. one thing i initially didn't like is the back lighting of the center console (radio and controls). got used to it now... extrior... besides the mirrors, it's great. each model has it's own distinctions. se is more sporty, xle more luxurious, ce is bare bones, le and hybrid models blah blah you know... and for the most i think part it all works. but i do agree that the competition with other brands in this segment is very tight, which is why i think they separated the models a little. people who buy se's probably feel they are buying something more sporty, xle = more luxo/comfy, etc... something i don't remember honda, nissan, ford, and other do yet... i didn't want to write so much at first but whatever. haha

Last edited by *wishlist*; 07-01-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 07:38 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Great review dude. I do wish the sport model had better brakes. As for the exterior, I actually like it b/c its not bland. Its not gorgouse in any way but it get some attention.

Great job!

Nicely put mike..
Old 07-02-07, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by *wishlist*
we've had our 07 camry xle v6 for a few months now and love it... about the mirrors, I remember reading that some models have the folding mirrors. mine doesn't though.. another thing about the interior, I agree that materials used are cheaper than other toyotas in the past the overall design/look of it is nice to me. one thing I initially didn't like is the back lighting of the center console (radio and controls). got used to it now... extrior... besides the mirrors, it's great. each model has it's own distinctions. se is more sporty, xle more luxurious, ce is bare bones, le and hybrid models blah blah you know... and for the most i think part it all works. but i do agree that the competition with other brands in this segment is very tight, which is why i think they separated the models a little. people who buy se's probably feel they are buying something more sporty, xle = more luxo/comfy, etc... something i don't remember honda, nissan, ford, and other do yet... i didn't want to write so much at first but whatever. haha
I agree that the XLE V6 is the nicest 2007 Camry model. It has wood trim inside in several places that use the awful silver paint in the SE, it has (as an option) the push-button starter and Smart Key system that only the XLE and Hybrid get, it doesn't have low air dams and skirts like the SE that you have to be super-careful with going over humps, and, of course, with the softer suspension and tires, it rides more comfortably. A notable feature of the SE, as I pointed out in the review, was its stiffer ride than non-SE models, without any noticeable difference in steering response except for the decreased body roll. I can understand a stiffer, German-type sports-sedan ride if it pays off in handling benefits and better steering response, but in the Camry SE, except for roll control, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Old 07-02-07, 07:06 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

The paint job on my Camry is pretty crappy IMO. Very noticeable orange peel, and chips extremely easily.
Old 07-02-07, 07:11 AM
ego_man108
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
The paint job on my Camry is pretty crappy IMO. Very noticeable orange peel, and chips extremely easily.
That seems to be a problem with most mainstream cars these days. Not the orange peel, but the fact that the paint chips so easily.
Old 07-02-07, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
How old is your Camry? Toyota, Scion, and Lexus generally do some of the best-quality factory paint jobs in the industry...and I don't say that lightly.
Old 07-02-07, 10:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have a few problems with this list to be honest with you mmarshall. It seems like you were really looking for things to pick apart here, and you were obviously overly critical.

First off, the styling is, like you said, completely objective. Many people, myself included, like the exterior styling of the new car so for you to list something objective under the "cons" section doesn't really make too much sense.

Worsening reliability record? They had a software fix for the 5AT and then a few problems with the 6AT, but I haven't heard of anything major aside from that and those issues have been resolved.

Dealer bargaining? Again, not the cars fault and not really a "fault" at all.

Sunroof cuts into headroom? Seriously? Did you just now notice this? This is the case with every car that has one...you're going to loose headroom.

Non folding mirrors? How relevant is that?

Poor engine access? Sorry, but I am sure that less than 5% of all Camry owners are going to be looking to pop the hood and get their hands dirty. Again, this is irrelevant.

Zig Zag shifter? A "GATED SHIFTER" is considered to be more upscale than a traditional vertical shift gate, like the old car had. I don't know where you came up with this.

Awkward unresponsive parking brake? What are you looking for here? I don't understand at all. You what some sort of road response when you depress the parking brake?

There is no optional sport shift **** from the factory so perhaps what you had was some sort of cheap dealer add-on...again, not the car's fault.

Smart Key and Push button start I don't think are that big of a deal. The Altima is the only other car in this class that offers them, and it distinguishes the XLE and Hybrid from the SE. Not relevant.

All Trac and AWD models not available in the US...well, please tell me what mainstream sedan is available in AWD aside from the Legacy, which has sales performance that is hardly "mainstream". Also IRRELEVANT.

I'm not trying to be critical of you, but it seems like simply because you didn't like how this car looked you had something against it going in. We have a Camry in the family and aside from the slight step backward in interior quality, it's a great car for the money. I am really baffled as to how you came away with such negative responses, and a list of minuses like the above.
mmarshal likes cars from 80's :-).

I think new V6 has awesome reliability record compared to old one, not to mention great looks compared to old Camry...
Old 07-02-07, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the XLE V6 is the nicest 2007 Camry model. It has wood trim inside in several places that use the awful silver paint in the SE, it has (as an option) the push-button starter and Smart Key system that only the XLE and Hybrid get, it doesn't have low air dams and skirts like the SE that you have to be super-careful with going over humps, and, of course, with the softer suspension and tires, it rides more comfortably. A notable feature of the SE, as I pointed out in the review, was its stiffer ride than non-SE models, without any noticeable difference in steering response except for the decreased body roll. I can understand a stiffer, German-type sports-sedan ride if it pays off in handling benefits and better steering response, but in the Camry SE, except for roll control, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
maybe you should have tested XLE then? Why would stiffer ride give you better steering response?

You like comfy cars and it seems like SE was version you would not want to test.
Old 07-02-07, 10:25 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ego_man108
That seems to be a problem with most mainstream cars these days. Not the orange peel, but the fact that the paint chips so easily.
Because all newer OEM car paints are water-based, with a possibly a water-based urethane clear. CARB is requiring all body shops in California to make the switch to water-based basecoat in 2009, with SCAQMD requiring the switch way earlier.
Old 07-02-07, 10:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. Camry SE, according to C&D does 60-0 in 127ft, which is better than many other cars on the road. Definetly not "weak" brakes. It is better than ES350, and only 1ft worse than IS350.

Thats whats wrong with making assumptions based on your butt.
Old 07-02-07, 11:31 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Great review mmarshal. I think Toyota is trying to turn Camry into a disposable car, on purpose. They don't want it to last for 250K+ miles like the late 80ies and early 90ies models, however the same could be said about most new cars.
We just put our 1993 Toyota Previa out to pasture, 250,000 miles. water pump went out fried the engine. Oh well, never had a timing belt done because it has a timing chain, so never touched the water pump.

They just dont' build them like they used to. The drive trains in the 90's were way better, it also gets harder and harder to find Toyota's made in japan, we always made sure all our cars said "MADE IN JAPAN" on them.
Old 07-02-07, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
maybe you should have tested XLE then? Why would stiffer ride give you better steering response?

You like comfy cars and it seems like SE was version you would not want to test.

I did the SE on two specific requests from CL members. I myself prefer a softer-sprung car, but this review was not for me.
Old 07-02-07, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. Camry SE, according to C&D does 60-0 in 127ft, which is better than many other cars on the road. Definetly not "weak" brakes. It is better than ES350, and only 1ft worse than IS350.

Thats whats wrong with making assumptions based on your butt.
I don't slam on brakes, even ABS, full-force when I review a car. If you want to see those figures you can read Car and Driver or Road and Track. I usually review new (or nearly new) cars with un-broken in brake pads.
In normal, moderately-hard application, the brakes felt just the way I described them.....moderate response, borderline firm-sponginess, and a smooth, even feel....so I am not changing my statement.

And, as far as making "butt-based" assumptions, that is usually the way you evaluate a car seat. And, with an automobile, unlike some people, I generally limit the use of my butt to the portion of the seat I am occupying.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-07 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 Toyota Camry SE V6