Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 700hp Mercedes SLC Supercar (Updated : Page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 10:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default New 700hp Mercedes SLC Supercar (Updated : Page 3)

High res. image : CLICK HERE

Mercedes and McLaren have joined forces again and they are working on a "baby" McLaren that will compete with Lamborghini Gallardo, the V10 version of the Audi R8 and Ferrari F430. The new model will be priced at around $200.000. It is not a secret that by 2010, practically all large European car makers will bring on the market an exclusive model with prices starting from $125.000. Audi has already launched the R8 supercar, and a more powerful version is about to be unveiled.
source : topspeed
Old 04-22-07, 10:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Hi Res. image : CLICK HERE

BMW is also working on the Z9 sportscar. It will be powered by a V10 engine with an output of 500 hp. It was more than logically for Mercedes to bring a new model on the market to compete with them.

McLaren Concepts
McLaren already worked in close co-operation with the school and students of the Transport Design course at the Istituto Europeo di Design in Turin to get an insight into a McLaren super car of tomorrow. The target was to design a mid-engined super sports car capable of more than 200 mph that offered the technological excellence of Formula 1 for the road, with unparalleled dynamic and aerodynamic performance.

Mercedes will combine elements from the three concepts awarded, with elements from the F1 and SLR, and will have the perfect car for the future.

Although Mercedes hasn’t confirmed the SLS name yet, the new model will be placed between the SL AMG and the SLR in the Mercedes line-up. The new model, code-named P8, will have a three-seat arrangement similar to that of the F1. It will be a two-seater, but a third seat could be mounted centrally towards the rear, the reverse of the F1’s layout.

2010 Mercedes SLS McLaren
Mercedes will use carbon-fiber for the construction for the new car. The SLS will be a more dynamic and aggressive version of the current SLR, with the front reminding of the McLaren F1.

The 2010 SLS will be a mid-engined model, powered by a supercharged 6.2 liter V8 engine. Although there are no info about the output of the car, considering that the SLS will be placed between the S65 AGM (604 hp) and SLR (617 hp),we expect the SLS to have an output around 600-610 hp. It will also feature a sport automatic gearbox.

We expect that the SLS will have a top speed of 200 mph and will make the 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 - 3.7 seconds.

Mercedes plans to build 2000 units a year. This will help them to easily compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mercede...n-ar33027.html
Old 04-22-07, 11:49 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that came to my mind when i saw the pics
Old 04-22-07, 08:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if Cadillac will allow them to call this car "SLS". I'm betting not.

Also, $200K for a V10 "baby" SLR? uhhh...that seems overpriced in comparison to the R8, F430, and Gallardo.
Old 05-30-07, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Mercedes building super-sports car without McLaren

Wednesday 30 May 2007

Mercedes-Benz will team up with its official DTM partner, HWA AG, to co-develop and build its new super-sports car as well as several other high-end performance models. The luxury brand is reportedly disappointed by the performance of its SLR McLaren when compared against its main rivals, and this is said to be a key reason why it sought a new partner to develop its latest sports car, reports Automotive News Europe.

In steps HWA. The motorsports company was formed by Hans-Werner Aufrecht in 1967, one of the founders of AMG, and is best known for its HWA Racing team, which competes in the German touring car series with the CLK-DTM.

The new model will be a race car built for the road and is likely to be powered by a higher performance version of the hand-built 6.2L V8 engine from AMG. To make it road-legal, the car will be officially sold under the Mercedes AMG label, but it will remain a genuine HWA race-developed product. Expect to see a concept version at next year’s Geneva Motor Show.

HWA will also be investing €4.5 million to expand its manufacturing facilities, which will see its current plant extend from 1,200 to 3,600 square meters. HWA spokesman Hans Jürgen Matheis revealed to The Insider that the motorsports company always had the ambition to prove to Mercedes that it could build a better road-car than McLaren, and now it finally gets its chance.

McLaren fans shouldn’t be completely disappointed. Substantial cash flows from its successful F1 team and the freeing up of resources from this latest announcement could eventually pave the way for the development of a successor to the original McLaren F1.
via motorauthority
Old 05-30-07, 08:10 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

and the price point will be?
Old 05-30-07, 08:45 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I am disappointed. I didn't want McLAREN too be part of MB argh
Old 05-30-07, 11:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mclaren F1 and SLR developments have nothing in common.

SLR is the product that caught up in conflict of two different viewpoints of what it should be. MB had one vision and Mclaren had other.

My take is that SLR looks way too much like SL and for sure its not worth $400K. Although I prefer it over Carrera GT and Enzo but that is just me
Old 05-30-07, 08:04 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
My take is that SLR looks way too much like SL and for sure its not worth $400K. Although I prefer it over Carrera GT and Enzo but that is just me
+1. I came across one at the dealership, it was parked outside waiting to be serviced. I walked past it and 3 seconds later I just realized what car it was, I looked back and went "cool". I wasn't drooling or anything.
Old 05-30-07, 10:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Jason Plato said about the SLR, "I wish it was a bit more McLaren and a bit less Mercedes."
Old 05-31-07, 05:21 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Good. I am glade they went their seperate ways because Mclaren wants more speed less weight, and Mercedes wants more safety. I buy a Benz for safety 1st and speed 2nd.
Old 06-01-07, 08:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default More details on Mercedes’ super-sports car

Updated: More details on Mercedes’ super-sports car

Posted on Friday 1 June 2007

Updated: Mercedes won’t be taking any chances in the performance stakes with its new super-sports car following the disappointing results of its SLR supercar, which rarely comes first in comparo reviews.

The new model is set to be slotted in between the SLR and SL, and could feature a 700hp version of the 6.2L AMG V8 engine according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. However, we think it’d probably be closer to 600hp so as to not step on the toes of the SLR flagship. The source also reports that it might carry the name ‘SLC’ and could also feature a biturbo V8 model as well.

The SLC will share much in common with the next-generation SL Roadster, including most of the interior but will get its own carbon-fiber roof.

Original: Mercedes-Benz will team up with its official DTM partner, HWA AG, to co-develop and build its new super-sports car as well as several other high-end performance models. The luxury brand is reportedly disappointed by the performance of its SLR McLaren when compared against its main rivals, and this is said to be a key reason why it sought a new partner to develop its latest sports car, reports Automotive News Europe.

In steps HWA. The motorsports company was formed by Hans-Werner Aufrecht in 1967, one of the founders of AMG, and is best known for its HWA Racing team, which competes in the German touring car series with the CLK-DTM.

The new model will be a race car built for the road and is likely to be powered by a higher performance version of the hand-built 6.2L V8 engine from AMG. To make it road-legal, the car will be officially sold under the Mercedes AMG label, but it will remain a genuine HWA race-developed product. Expect to see a concept version at next year’s Geneva Motor Show.

HWA will also be investing €4.5 million to expand its manufacturing facilities, which will see its current plant extend from 1,200 to 3,600 square meters. HWA spokesman Hans Jürgen Matheis revealed to The Insider that the motorsports company always had the ambition to prove to Mercedes that it could build a better road-car than McLaren, and now it finally gets its chance.

McLaren fans shouldn’t be completely disappointed. Substantial cash flows from its successful F1 team and the freeing up of resources from this latest announcement could eventually pave the way for the development of a successor to the original McLaren F1.
via motorauthority
Old 06-01-07, 08:47 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Good. I am glade they went their seperate ways because Mclaren wants more speed less weight, and Mercedes wants more safety. I buy a Benz for safety 1st and speed 2nd.
if im spending 500k+ im looking for speed and safety last
Old 06-01-07, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vladi
Mclaren F1 and SLR developments have nothing in common.

SLR is the product that caught up in conflict of two different viewpoints of what it should be. MB had one vision and Mclaren had other.

Bingo. Gordan Murray was very frustrated with the SLR, he did understand it had to be a "Mercedes" but that meant more weight, complexity, electronics etc. Mclaren is the other way around, simple and light.

Doesn't help its just an ugly car, the hood is WAY to long, the concept flowed much better.

Mercedes also cannot command that premium price, heck MAYBACH is having issues.....for a true sports car, people want the Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc.

Old 06-01-07, 09:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If i'm paying that much money for a super car, I want it to look like one.

The Enzo, Carerra GT, hell even the Ford GT looks unique. The SLR looks like an upgraded SL. Nothing too special.

Quick Reply: New 700hp Mercedes SLC Supercar (Updated : Page 3)