Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 C63: 457HP 443lb-ft of torque (Edmunds Test pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 06:01 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Your initial statement about the MBZ transmission is incorrect. The statement about the Lexus one seems correct.

What I find odd about the Lexus statement is that there are also some really good reasons for a TC to be unlocked.
We will all have to wait and see if Lexus and/or MBZ got it right.
Thats why they didnt lock it in 1st. seems to me as if they are trying to combine the best features of an auto tranny and a sequential tranny to make the best one possible without developing an all new transmission.

I'm trying to keep my expectations for the IS-F low and be pleasantly surprised. It would be nice if it came with ~450hp/400ft-lbs torque, handled as good as an M3, without being extremely harsh and the transmission performed as good as anything this side of Audi's DSG. The review would read "Its 1989 all over again....." but I'm a realist and I hate being dissapointed, so I'll keep in my mind the "not fast enough, doesnt corner hard enough, no magic feel and it doest have a propeller on the hood" review from C & D.

On the C63, the front view is ok, the rear too BMW 3 series and the side and I dislike it as much as the IS-F's side profile. The interior seems nothing special but none the less it looks good. Power numbers are great, it should be a rocket, Kudos to AMG for improving the handling so much.

I'm surprised though, that it seems to have so much in common with the IS-F. 3 stage traction control, more than 6 speed auto only tranny and the most surprising to me...the wheel/tyre combo. the optional 19s are the same width as the standard 19s on the IS-F. The final power figures arent in yet, but a lot of ppl were saying that the IS-Fs tyres were too skinny for 400hp, and here is MB doing it with supposedly 50 more. I guess the engineers know a lot better than we do.
Old 07-05-07, 06:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

p.s. whats with the power bulges on all these cars? IS-F, M3 and now C63....
Old 07-05-07, 06:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The more pictures I see of this car and reviews/previews I read, the more I want one... Just waiting for a C63, M3, S4, IS-F compro to seal the deal!
Old 07-06-07, 09:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Your initial statement about the MBZ transmission is incorrect. The statement about the Lexus one seems correct.

What I find odd about the Lexus statement is that there are also some really good reasons for a TC to be unlocked. We will all have to wait and see if Lexus and/or MBZ got it right.
Yes, indeed it was my mistake about the initial statement I made about the Benz transmission. What I should have said is that the C63 does not lock up from 2nd to top gear.

You are correct; there are good reasons for the TC to be unlocked. As MR_F1 mentioned, the IS-F's 8-speed stays unlocked in first gear, and locks from 2nd to 8th. It does indeed appear they are trying to combine the best features from an auto tranny and a sequential manual tranny.