Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Prius excels because of unique design

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Toyota Prius excels because of unique design

Toyota Prius excels because of unique design

Wednesday 4 July 2007

There’s no doubt that Toyota’s Prius is the top selling hybrid car in the world. It’s already sold more than half a million units, while competitors have struggled and sometimes failed with their own hybrid models. New evidence suggests the reason for the high sales aren’t only due to the claimed environmental benefits. The likely answer is because of the Prius’ unique and practical body, which has been favoured by motorists wanting to advertise their green intentions. When people see a Prius they know exactly what it is, whereas hybrid versions of cars like the Honda Civic or Saturn Vue are virtually indistinguishable from regular models apart from a couple of badges.

In a recent survey conducted by CNW Marketing Research, more than 50% of Prius owners revealed that the main reason they bought their car was that “it makes a statement.” In an interview with the International Herald Tribune, one Prius owner mentioned that he really wants people to know that he cares about the environment and another said that the Camry Hybrid was too subtle for the message they wanted to present.

Prius sales are up a staggering 93.7% for the year and Toyota is now on track to sell more than 175,000 units this year. In coming years, it plans to launch a family of Prius models and possibly a second hybrid brand.
via motorauthority
Old 07-04-07, 08:10 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting article. I can use some points from this because I'm doing a research project (strategic analysis) on bringing the Hybrid Prius to Korea. I'll make sure I cite this properly....
Old 07-04-07, 09:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Consumers have always wanted something more uniquely designed when hybrid variants are made. The other Toyota/Lexus hybrid counterparts were always scrutinized for not being too different.

For example, the RX400h and GS450h were considered too similar to it's non-hybrid bretheren, and such luxury consumers that wanted to flaunt a little bit of "hey, I have more power and better gas mileage than you" attitude were left wanting.
Old 07-04-07, 11:35 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Consumers have always wanted something more uniquely designed when hybrid variants are made. The other Toyota/Lexus hybrid counterparts were always scrutinized for not being too different.

For example, the RX400h and GS450h were considered too similar to it's non-hybrid bretheren, and such luxury consumers that wanted to flaunt a little bit of "hey, I have more power and better gas mileage than you" attitude were left wanting.
That's very true. I've heard people say the same thing about Audi A4s/S4s, that they look too similar.
Old 07-04-07, 12:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Wedge shaped and unconventional. It sells.
Old 07-04-07, 01:07 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny thou how the Prius wont pass an emissions test
Old 07-04-07, 02:15 PM
Trexus

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

No other cars out there look similar to the Prius and will definitely make its mark in the auto industry's history...
Old 07-04-07, 02:59 PM
Sc.ab
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol just reminds me of the "Smug" episode on South Park.
Old 07-05-07, 07:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Correct, I think that is why the LS 600h L has blue badges and Lexus has stated they may produce a non L-finesse styled hybrid.

Old 07-05-07, 10:54 AM
ego_man108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The likely answer is because of the Prius’ unique and practical body, which has been favoured by motorists wanting to advertise their green intentions.
I can buy that theory. People might be more attracted to Hybrids for the statement they make, whether well-founded or not. The less obvious the hybrid vehicle is, the lower the chances of indifferent onlookers noticing that it's even a hybrid. Though most people probably couldn't care less about someone else driving a hybrid anyhow. zzzzz, boring. But whatever floats your boat.

The Honda Insight is even more obvious, but the problem there was that the car wasn't useful for more than a 1 or 2 person family. They basically shoe-horned themselves into a market with very limited appeal.