Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone else impressed by the new BMW X5 3.0sd's diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 11:30 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else impressed by the new BMW X5 3.0sd's diesel engine?

A midsize SUV that does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds (that's nearly as fast as the 4.8i!) with just a 3.0L diesel that produces a whopping 286hp. Is that not impressive? It's probably fuel efficient too.

I'm not usually a fan of diesels. Far from it, actually. This 3.0sd thing, however, may be the first diesel that can just tip me over. Too bad the US is only getting the much weaker X5 3.0d though.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/06/27...diesel-engine/

BMW X5 3.0sd gets twin-turbo diesel engine

BMW’s award-winning twin-turbocharged 3.0 liter diesel engine had made its way into the new BMW X5. The BMW X5 3.0sd produces 286 horsepower giving the X5 the ability to do 0-62mph in just 7.0 seconds with a top speed of 146 mph.

The drivetrain in the BMW X5 3.0sd uses two differently sized turbochargers operating in sequential stages depending on driver inputs. The key to the engine’s smooth power delivery is that the turbochargers deliver a consistent 2.85bar pressure to the intercooler at all times.

The BMW X5 3.0sd is on sale now and costs £42,630 OTR for SE versions and £47,675 OTR for the M Sport.

BMW is expected to bring their first diesel to North America in mid-2008. Expected to be the BMW X5 3.0d will come to our highways with a 3.0 liter direct-injection diesel engine that produces 245 horsepower. Let’s hope the X5 3.0sd makes it here as well.

Press Release:

World’s most powerful production six-cylinder diesel engine comes to the X5. M Sport specification available across the range BMW’s class-leading Sports Activity Vehicle is now available with the world’s most powerful production six-cylinder diesel powerplant. The award-winning twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre diesel engine has been brought to the BMW X5 range to cater for a growing demand for performance SAVs.

The BMW X5 3.0sd provides the driver with 286hp and a flat torque curve with a peak of 580Nm from a lowly 1,750rpm to ensure rapid performance. The X5 3.0sd is capable of accelerating from zero to 62mph in 7.0 seconds before going on to a top speed of 146mph.

The drivetrain in the BMW X5 3.0sd is unique in its segment as it utilises two differently sized turbochargers operating in sequential stages depending on driver inputs. The key to the engine’s smooth power delivery is that, despite the mechanics of two turbochargers providing variable power, they deliver a consistent 2.85bar pressure to the intercooler at all times. One smaller turbocharger provides near instantaneous power at low engine speeds, while a larger turbocharger provides the mid to top end power. The boost of both turbochargers is regulated by an ECU and three control valves. This arrangement ensures optimum performance delivery from just above idle speed through to the red line and makes for impressive performance figures and an absence of turbo lag.

Power in the X5 3.0sd is transmitted to the road via a standard six-speed automatic gearbox and BMW’s renowned xDrive four-wheel drive system. Complementing xDrive technology is the use of Dynamic Stability Control+ including Dynamic Traction Control. DSC+ is the most advanced stability control system currently available on a production car and comes with four additional features above and beyond the original DSC system. DSC+ adds Hill-start assistant, Brake pre-tensioning, Brake fade compensation and Brake drying. Dynamic Traction Control, when engaged, allows for a degree of wheel slip to permit forward motion on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow. It also allows the keener driver to revel in the handling characteristics of the X5 without the DSC+ interrupting the flow unless the situation becomes critical.

Diesel power accounts for more than 90 per cent of X5 sales in the UK and the new X5 3.0sd is being introduced to satisfy the wishes of some existing X5 owners who asked for an even greater level of performance. To cope with this the X5 3.0sd features uprated brakes compared to a standard 3.0d and comes fitted with thicker and larger diameter disc brakes for greater retardation. For a subtle and discreet visual differentiation between the two diesel X5 models the 3.0sd also has a chrome kidney grille with titanium vertical slats.

The BMW X5 3.0sd is on sale now and costs £42,630 OTR for SE versions and £47,675 OTR for the M Sport.

The announcement of the X5 3.0sd coincides with the news that the M Sport trim level is now available on the rest of the BMW X5 range. Launched initially on the 4.8-litre car only, M Sport allows customers to further personalise their vehicle. Standard M Sport equipment includes 19-inch light alloy M V-spoke wheels, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M leather steering wheel, Sports suspension, Sports seats, Nevada leather upholstery, Anthracite headlining and Brushed Aluminium interior trim.

The BMW X5 3.0si M Sport costs £44,690 OTR while the X5 3.0d M Sport costs £45,265 OTR. The BMW X5 4.8i M Sport tops the range and costs £53,440 OTR.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-05-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 11:37 AM
ego_man108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the important piece of data:

a flat torque curve with a peak of 580Nm from a lowly 1,750rpm
When the MPG numbers come in, it'll be even more impressive. You can keep your hybrid drivetrains. I'll take the diesel.
Old 07-05-07, 12:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I've always loved diesel engines, despite their flaws and drawbacks. Europe gets some amazing diesels that unfortunately we don't see here.
Old 07-05-07, 12:55 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The M57 will be a incredible. BMW has not disclosed if this motor will be in other models. Perhaps this motor will be in the 2009 X3, 3 series, and 5 series.. Great news that BMW will be offering the M sportpackage in the 3.0 X5 finally! The look of the X5 with the 20 inch wheels and sport package is killer..
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else impressed by the new BMW X5 3.0sd's diesel engine?-x5.jpg  
Old 07-05-07, 03:08 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I really just can't wait for BMW to bring over the diesels. SUVs benefit most from the additional torque, but BMW's diesels work great in every application. The quickest X3 has been the X3 3.0sd which has more hp and significantly more torque than the equivalent petrol model.

The 535d does 0-60 in 6 secs and hits an electronically limited 155mph. Brilliant.
Old 07-05-07, 03:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
I really just can't wait for BMW to bring over the diesels. SUVs benefit most from the additional torque, but BMW's diesels work great in every application. The quickest X3 has been the X3 3.0sd which has more hp and significantly more torque than the equivalent petrol model.

The 535d does 0-60 in 6 secs and hits an electronically limited 155mph. Brilliant.
Well when the 535d was recently bumped to 286hp from 272hp, I was like ho hum okay...that's an acceptable amount of power from a 3.5L. But now BMW has achieved the same 286hp with just a 3.0L...it's hard not to be impressed. The sequentially-staged turbos really helps achieve a high top-end without sacrificing the low-end. Brilliant indeed.
Old 07-05-07, 03:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well when the 535d was recently bumped to 286hp from 272hp, I was like ho hum okay...that's an acceptable amount of power from a 3.5L. But now BMW has achieved the same 286hp with just a 3.0L...it's hard not to be impressed. The sequentially-staged turbos really helps achieve a high top-end without sacrificing the low-end. Brilliant indeed.
BMW never had a 3.5L engine. The 35 is just a designation and not the actual displacement. The current 335 and 535I are actually 3.0L.
Old 07-05-07, 03:35 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
BMW never had a 3.5L engine. The 35 is just a designation and not the actual displacement. The current 335 and 535I are actually 3.0L.
and twin turbocharged.
Old 07-05-07, 03:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Ah damn the BMW nomenclature lol...in that case they're all very impressive indeed. Oh and the new 123d with its 204hp 2.0L diesel is just as impressive. No more "diesel = low horsepower + high torque" from me. Diesel now = high horsepower + enormous torque.

I hope Toyota is seriously looking into bettering their diesel offerings as well as trying to make diesel-hybrids viable, because at this rate gasoline engines will soon be falling behind.
Old 07-06-07, 06:31 AM
ego_man108
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I hope Toyota is seriously looking into bettering their diesel offerings as well as trying to make diesel-hybrids viable, because at this rate gasoline engines will soon be falling behind.
I hope that all the mfg's are. And if they can produce diesels that are returning 40 or 50+ MPG, then I would hope that they leave the hybrid technology out of the equation all together. There's really no urgent need for it.
Old 07-06-07, 06:53 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Turbo deisels are the way to go. The whole entire world uses turbo diesels in their cars. America is definitely behind.
Old 07-06-07, 09:03 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I'm impressed by the BMW diesels and by the X5. The two together? My perfect SUV.