Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Japan to add 2 SUVs to lineup

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 02:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Lexus Japan to add 2 SUVs to lineup

Source: Kyodo News

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstS...earchChr=Lexus

Toyota Motor Corp. is planning to release two models of sport-utility vehicles under its luxury Lexus brand in Japan within the next two or three years
The article is paid subscription only, but the first line is an interesting tidbit. I'm expecting RX...and what other model? LX? GX? The Euro-focused JX?
Old 07-05-07, 02:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like the LX and the IS-based SUV (crossover) will be my best hypothesis...
Old 07-05-07, 02:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree on the IS, they definitely need a small SUV in some markets...mine being one of them.
Old 07-05-07, 03:03 PM
josephlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the RX is small enough....pleaseee..nothing like the X3....i'd rather buy a jeep over that thing
Old 07-05-07, 03:31 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The Japanese market in an interesting market. In the U.S. the highest selling Lexus sedan is the ES and the highest selling Lexus SUV is the RX. Since the ES in not being sold in the Japanese market most likely the RX won't be sold there either. I'm thinking the two SUV's to hit the Japanese market is probably the GX and a smaller rear wheel drive SUV under the RX possibly a new Lexus SUV called the IX 250/350 based on the IS or RAV4 platform. We'll have to wait and see what happens...
Old 07-05-07, 03:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
i think the RX is small enough....pleaseee..nothing like the X3....i'd rather buy a jeep over that thing
Actually, the RX competes with X3 as they are similar in size and price. GX= BMW X5 competion.
Old 07-05-07, 03:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well Lexus' own Bob Carter, and other reviewers, have suggested that the X3 is more in the same category as the RDX. The RX is somewhat slotted between the X3 and X5.

Considering that for instance in Singapore the Harrier has been replaced by the RX (in 2003), leaving Japan as the only Harrier market, will we see the RX be launched in Japan as well? Possibly with the new "RX 350, RX 350L, RX 460h, RX 460hL"?
Old 07-05-07, 04:00 PM
josephlee
Driver

haha, doesnt matter which category X3 is in....it just looks small like the RAV4. price may be similar to RX...but no way in size is it comparable.
Old 07-05-07, 04:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
haha, doesnt matter which category X3 is in....it just looks small like the RAV4. price may be similar to RX...but no way in size is it comparable.
You know this for sure? I am 6'4 and I own one. The new RAV4 feels smaller behind the wheel from my experience than the X3, and I actually own the previous gen Rav4 as well. Germans tend to be on the tall side compared to Japanese who tend to be shorter. It shows when it comes to head and leg room in the respective vehicles. Interesting take on the RX350 and X3..

Comparing the BMW X3 3.0si to the Lexus RX 350

by Karen Irvine

Comparison shopping is a smart approach when buying an SUV, albeit when it comes to comparing the popular BMW X3 SAV to the Lexus RX 350 AWD, SUV just listen to the experts.

First, consider that BMW distinguishes its X3 as a SAV, or Sports Activity Vehicle from the catchall SUV, or Sports Utility Vehicle. The X3 is not about utility or off-roading, it’s about adding a healthy dose of cargo capacity and any-road, any-weather prowess to The Ultimate Driving Machine®. The BMW SAV offers the perfect size, a sporty ride, advanced safety features, luxurious appointments and driving fun.

Then there’s the bottom line: despite its sportier design and higher level of standard equipment, the X3 3.0si at Circle BMW starts with a $820 base price advantage and a higher trim level. Add to this that the X3 3.0si offers many standard features: • Genuine wood trim • Panoramic moon roof, roof rails, rain sensing wipers • And driver’s seat memory On the Lexus RX, you guessed it, it’s optional.

Finally, a consumer is smart to pay attention to the tough automotive critics from reliable sources like Automobile, Car and Driver and Motor Trend who also compared the BMW X3 and the Lexus RX 350. Basically, what they found was if you want your father’s SUV, buy a Lexus. Test after test they found a lot of plush accommodations and less driving response compared to the BMW SAV.

As New Jersey drivers we need a reliable SAV with quick response and safety features to handle those NJ Turnpike traffic advisories, and a comfortable ride while snaking through those lines to our favorite concerts at the PNC Arts Center.

The experts say: “Suffice to say, the [RX 350] is too dedicated to the plush-riding Lexus ideal-even when rolling on its optional eighteen-inch wheels-to mount a serious challenge to [BMW]. Likewise, the steering is fine for straight ahead, but there’s no buildup of effort as you turn the wheel.” Automobile, March 2003

For those drivers who will not forsake the driving experience, the BMW X3 3.0si far exceeds the Lexus RX 350.
Bottom line, Lexus does not need anymore suv's. There are enough hover crafts to choose from.
Old 07-05-07, 04:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

For balance's sake, Consumer Reports rated the RX 350 the top luxury SUV in recent comparison tests with the MDX, X5, SRX, and MKX:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284769

CR tested a total of five luxury SUVs for the July issue—the RX350, the MDX, the Cadillac SRX, BMW X5, and Lincoln MKX. Loaded with features such as sunroofs, high-end sound systems, and more, prices for these SUVs ranged from $43,595 for the MKX to $56,745 for the X5.

Though the SRX achieved a “Very Good” overall score, it still finished just midpack in this competitive segment. The X5 and MKX finished at the bottom of CR’s rankings for this class, though still with “Very Good” overall scores.

The RX350 and MDX finished in a virtual tie, with 80 points each overall. But the vehicles have very different driving characters. The five-passenger RX is luxurious and comfortable and delivers the quickest acceleration and the best fuel economy in this group—at 19 mpg overall. The three-row, seven-passenger MDX has better handling and a powertrain that feels sportier than the Lexus, but a firmer ride.
Additionally, CR recently tested the RAV4 and found it better than the X3, RDX, and FX35!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?t=265964&

So from their perspective the RX is pretty good, and the RAV4 is a worthy contender with luxury vehicles!

Now back to the main topic, 2 SUVs seems the right number to add for Lexus Japan. 1 being kinda a lone product and 3 being too many.
Old 07-05-07, 05:31 PM
josephlee
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You know this for sure? I am 6'4 and I own one. The new RAV4 feels smaller behind the wheel from my experience than the X3, and I actually own the previous gen Rav4 as well. Germans tend to be on the tall side compared to Japanese who tend to be shorter. It shows when it comes to head and leg room in the respective vehicles. Interesting take on the RX350 and X3..

Bottom line, Lexus does not need anymore suv's. There are enough hover crafts to choose from.
hey buddy, not trying to argue here. this is just what i think man. dont really care about the interior, im an asian, and im typical asian height: 5'11. if all asian were 6'2, then im sure Lexus will built their interior bigger (a prime example will be the IS, the size fits asian well in my perspective). but just judging from the outside, RX looks a size bigger than the X3 from any angle. Im not saying bigger is always better. But hey, if you really compare the exterior of the X3 with RAV4 or CRV and RDX, they belong together.

By the way, have you test drive the new RAV4? its really nice in my POV.

Last edited by josephlee; 07-05-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 05:37 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they need to build that IS hardtop coupe I keep on hearing about.
Old 07-05-07, 06:33 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Seems like the LX and the IS-based SUV (crossover) will be my best hypothesis...

I thought they would use a ES or GS for the platform and not the IS.

I wouldn't mind a cross-over based on GS would be interesting, hopefully it wont be like a fish bowl like the RX. Actually I like the RX, I am just not a fan of the back of the RX and the interior nice but to bad its not like the GX or LX.
Old 07-05-07, 06:33 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
they need to build that IS hardtop coupe I keep on hearing about.
Hopefully soon.

Plus I hope they have a IS-F coupe *crosses fingers*
Old 07-05-07, 07:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I thought they would use a ES or GS for the platform and not the IS.

I wouldn't mind a cross-over based on GS would be interesting, hopefully it wont be like a fish bowl like the RX. Actually I like the RX, I am just not a fan of the back of the RX and the interior nice but to bad its not like the GX or LX.
I have some issues with the rear of the RX330/350/400h, and I like the back of my RX300 a lot better.

Quick Reply: Lexus Japan to add 2 SUVs to lineup