Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus not accepting checks?!!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 05:25 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeye101
Paid $500 downpayment with Credit Card. Came back later and paid the balance with Cashier's Check. For my IS250 AWD. No problems. Lexus Of Dayton.
You know, I'm not sure which dealer down here, but I've heard that issue with Capital One checks also. That it wasn't a real check, waiting for payment, ... They just matched their loan rate, and I was fine with that.

BTW, I really miss Lexus of Dayton (Bobby Rahal Lexus when I lived there.) Best Lexus dealer I've ever seen.
Old 07-06-07, 05:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

I dunno about the Capital One check. I've written personal checks at the dealers...no issues. Sitting in the closing office, they run a credit check anyhow and I've already signed my life away so to speak.

I'd go elsewhere. If they tell you same, ask C1 why their check is being refused.
Old 07-06-07, 05:47 PM
devanaire0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they weren't even aware that it was from Capitol One until I told them after-the-fact that they don't accept auto loan checks.
Old 07-06-07, 06:01 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot of people pay cash on here eh.................

Without sitting right there next to you, it’s hard to make a call on this. Nearly any dealer will take a normal check. What you’re saying is an "auto loan" check. Which could be something much like an E-Loan which gives you a check for X for a car then you hit a dealer and purchase. Not exactly the same as dealing with your CU or other local major bank.

For whatever reason, they may not want to work with those setups. Straight personal check they wouldn’t wait an extra second or even a certified check. From what I know of the credit world, Capital One doesn’t exactly rank the highest so who knows what issue the dealer had with it. Maybe they had issues with funding in the past and decided to rule them out.

I honestly find it hard to digest that a car dealer would refuse a “normal” check.
Old 07-07-07, 02:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Really dressing up for that car purchase, eh?
Man it took me 2hrs infront a mirror just trying to find the right hole pattern that i liked the best, must've tried on at least 3tshirts, and i figured the faded black shorts would match the black slippers best.

Im asian, what was i supposed to do? spike my hair/hoodie/baggy A&B cargos/kswiss??? thats my poser/wannabe clothes, the dealership is there to serve ME so i should dress comfortable
Old 07-08-07, 06:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Man it took me 2hrs infront a mirror just trying to find the right hole pattern that i liked the best, must've tried on at least 3tshirts, and i figured the faded black shorts would match the black slippers best.

Im asian, what was i supposed to do? spike my hair/hoodie/baggy A&B cargos/kswiss??? thats my poser/wannabe clothes, the dealership is there to serve ME so i should dress comfortable
Actually, that is the good thing about Hawaii dealers. We all dress like that most of the time so they don't care. In fact, I think if you came in dressed in a business suit and tie they might wonder who you are trying to impress