Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
What do you mean by spill over area.
it's just a location where people can drive the cars
Old 08-27-07, 12:12 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No new reveiws yet. How was the evening edition.
Old 08-27-07, 12:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds pretty good, there are pics of the whole event here: http://www.jpanimal.blogspot.com

I was at the ToL regular session yesterday and the white IS-F was still there, though not on a dyno. We popped the hood and trunk and sat inside...Very nice!
Old 08-28-07, 08:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will post pics of the Taste of lexus in NJ.. Can't wait!
Old 08-28-07, 08:46 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
My dad and I attended the Taste of Lexus at Santa Anita Park on 08/25/2007.

At the two prior year events we attended, the coming year models were displayed. At this event, the 2007 models were displayed, which were the same displayed last year, even though the 2008 models are to be released in September.

At the two prior year events we attended, there was a variety of unlimited food and drink. At this event, at the orientation, we were advised that food would be limited to one of two locations, and we would be "scanned" to make sure we did not eat at more than one location. The only beverage at each location was water; there was a separate cafe, outside of each food location, for tea and coffee and apples, also requiring scanning. There were no desserts. We observed strict enforcement of the food and beverage limit policy more than a few times.

At the two prior year events we attended, there were no "partners." At this event, vendors were present who in our opinion had absolutely nothing to do with Lexus products.

At the two prior year events we attended, there was no limit to test driving. At this event, guests were required to register and be scanned, to ensure they did not drive the same vehicle more than once.

At the two prior year events we attended, there were "gifts" given at the conclusion. At this event, there was no gift given.

Lexus did this event on the cheap, and I am sure others felt the same way.
ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS

1997 LS400
SILVER JADE METALLIC/CYPRESS LEATHER
That is a huge let down. I didn't know Lexus would treat us like some free-riders/beggers.... I'm going to one in 2-3 weeks in IL, and i highly doubt that it will be any more lavish than the ones in CA.
Old 08-28-07, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

My dad and I attended the Taste of Lexus at Santa Anita Park on 08/25/2007.

At the two prior year events we attended, the coming year models were displayed. At this event, the 2007 models were displayed, which were the same displayed last year, even though the 2008 models are to be released in September.

At the two prior year events we attended, there was a variety of unlimited food and drink. At this event, at the orientation, we were advised that food would be limited to one of two locations, and we would be "scanned" to make sure we did not eat at more than one location. The only beverage at each location was water; there was a separate cafe, outside of each food location, for tea and coffee and apples, also requiring scanning. There were no desserts. We observed strict enforcement of the food and beverage limit policy more than a few times.

At the two prior year events we attended, there were no "partners." At this event, vendors were present who in our opinion had absolutely nothing to do with Lexus products.

At the two prior year events we attended, there was no limit to test driving. At this event, guests were required to register and be scanned, to ensure they did not drive the same vehicle more than once.

At the two prior year events we attended, there were "gifts" given at the conclusion. At this event, there was no gift given.

Lexus did this event on the cheap, and I am sure others felt the same way.
ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS

1997 LS400
SILVER JADE METALLIC/CYPRESS LEATHER
no more than once on each car? that's a lie. i drove the ls600hl two times.

no gifts were given coz' those money were donated to charity.

what are the difference between 07 and 08 that are out already? very little, too minor.

there were no desert? after 11am, the cafe will have desert rather than bread/pastry.

and if you can't even understand their slightest attempt to control the crowd, the lines, and the food, in order to make sure all people get a fair treatment rather than making the event like a marketplace where people fight for everything? i can understand

i can see about some of the downsides of what they do this year, but to say that they go on the cheap? dude, go to the mercedes event and tell me what you feel
Old 08-28-07, 10:30 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i agree with rominl about that. I think they spend more $$$ this year as opposed to last year. the food was better at least better then appetizers. I noticed that last year there were a bunch of people just hoarding appetizers and collecting freebies which i think is just being plain cheap. Lexus had to regulate it somehow. I drove the lshybrid many times when i was at santa anita. i drove the IS350 and GS350 so many times i lost count. the tracks at santa anita were much shorter then at OC though especially the hybrid track. they were filiming at santa anita which as cool , i think they got me sliding thru a turn.haha
Old 08-28-07, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AM1
i agree with rominl about that. I think they spend more $$$ this year as opposed to last year. the food was better at least better then appetizers. I noticed that last year there were a bunch of people just hoarding appetizers and collecting freebies which i think is just being plain cheap. Lexus had to regulate it somehow. I drove the lshybrid many times when i was at santa anita. i drove the IS350 and GS350 so many times i lost count. the tracks at santa anita were much shorter then at OC though especially the hybrid track. they were filiming at santa anita which as cool , i think they got me sliding thru a turn.haha
very true, those cheap crowd who wanted nothing but free food and gifts, that was such an ugly scene
Old 08-28-07, 12:45 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You drove the ls600hl two times? Did you scan your badge twice? Why do you think you had to scan your badge?

No gifts were given out because Lexus did this year on the cheap. What charity did they donate to, George Costanza's "human fund?"

I saw the 2007 models last year, and reasonably expected to see the 2008 models this year. "Very little" or "too minor" differences do not adequately explain why this was the first year that the new models were not displayed at Taste of Lexus, especially since they will be at the dealers next month.

We went at 12:00 PM, and ate at 12:45PM. The cafe had some apples, and that was it.

Lexus did not need to use scanned badges to control the crowd. Lexus used scanned badges to control the food and beverage consumption, and to save money.

We have owned Lexus cars, all four of them new, since 11/90. We have been to many, many Lexus events. This event was not a good reflection on the nameplate.
The badges were scanned to make your appointment time. I drove the LS twice as well and waited only about 10 minutes in line each. During the "appointment" wait time we wandered around looking at other things.

Last year I waited 30 minutes to drive only one car, fought my way to the appetizers but only got one egg roll, got frustrated, and left. This year, I had the flat iron steak salad and lots of Fiji waters - the amount of food was perfect to tide me over until we finished driving and left.

I'm glad Lexus used this new method to weed out the mooches!!!!

Yes, the "parting gift" money was used to plant trees! Screw the free gift, that's not why I go to TOS.

Oh, and I have been to many, many Lexus events also.
Old 08-28-07, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You drove the ls600hl two times? Did you scan your badge twice? Why do you think you had to scan your badge?

No gifts were given out because Lexus did this year on the cheap. What charity did they donate to, George Costanza's "human fund?"

I saw the 2007 models last year, and reasonably expected to see the 2008 models this year. "Very little" or "too minor" differences do not adequately explain why this was the first year that the new models were not displayed at Taste of Lexus, especially since they will be at the dealers next month.

We went at 12:00 PM, and ate at 12:45PM. The cafe had some apples, and that was it.

Lexus did not need to use scanned badges to control the crowd. Lexus used scanned badges to control the food and beverage consumption, and to save money.

We have owned Lexus cars, all four of them new, since 11/90. We have been to many, many Lexus events. This event was not a good reflection on the nameplate.
that's all your opinion. i don't think you can bring proof on how much they spend each year and that this year they went cheap. and no need to give me the talk on how many lexus your family has had. i am on my 4th as well and that's since 2002 for that matter. and i have been to a lot of lexus events as well, some exclusive and not a lot of people could attend. i never brag about it

i am very surprised you couldn't even see the biggest point of using the card. that's to make you reserve your time slot so you only go out in the sun 5-10 mins before your drive, rather than like last year where people had to stand in line under the hot sun for 2 hours just to drive the ls460. simple as that, and very brilliant.

so you didn't even try to drive any cars more than once but you said out right that people could only drive it once. that goes a lot to your credit

if anything, they didn't allow people to reserve and drive a 2nd car until your current reservation is over. that's restrictive and i agree could be improved

and btw, YES, i drove the 600hl twice, and YES, i reserved both times, and YES, i showed up 2-3 mins before the drive, and YES, they allowed me to drive

"lexus did not need to scan the badge to control the crowd". so what were they supposed to do to avoid the super long lines for the ls460, gs450h, and the is350 at taste of lexus last year?
Old 08-28-07, 01:02 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

This might have been discussed before, but i don't want to go through the entire 20 page thread.

Can i bring my GF to the event too? Will they let her in and let her drive as well?
Old 08-28-07, 01:16 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
This might have been discussed before, but i don't want to go through the entire 20 page thread.

Can i bring my GF to the event too? Will they let her in and let her drive as well?
Yes, you are allowed to bring a guest and if she's over 21 with a driver's license they will let her drive.
Old 08-28-07, 01:25 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Yes, you are allowed to bring a guest and if she's over 21 with a driver's license they will let her drive.
Sweet!

Now all i have to find is a girlfriend.
Old 08-28-07, 01:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Sweet!

Now all i have to find is a girlfriend.
that might be the harder part then?

yes, lexus is very understanding on this
Old 08-28-07, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I am surprised that you even question whether this event was cost-cutting over prior years. For the first time, for whatever reason, food and drink was limited. For the first time, for whatever reason, they "partnered" with others who in my opinion had nothing to do with Lexus.

You, and others, are certainly entitled to opine. I do not think those who are invited to a Lexus event and partake of the food and beverage with the anticipation that they may later purchase a vehicle costing $40K to over $100K can be classified as a cheap crowd or moochers.

Why not display the 2008 models when they will be at the dealer for sale in less than 30 days?

Lexus advertises they are pursuing perfection, and in my opinion it fell way short with their event this year.
for the first time, they invested in making all those cards with smart cards inside

for the first time, they put up 3-4 koisks in each of the 3 driving course waiting area

for the first time, they put 4-5 ls600hl for people to drive, each sells for over 100k

show us numbers how much TOL cost each year over the past few years and prove that this year they cut a lot of the cost, then i will believe you. otherwise, my doubts on that stay

i am not saying this year's TOL is the best. imho it's better than last year. there are others who agree with me and others who don't. but saying they get cheap while you don't even have numbers to support that? give me a break. don't think food and drink are all that expensive, it's probably not that big of a percentage compare to the other cost they put in for the event

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)