Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 09:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you wanted, but just wondering what do you mean by DVR'd the ToL event in LA? Was it broadcast on TV somewhere?

Speaking of which, the golf swing analysis with ESPN Golf and the massage appointments were in the previous 2 ToL events, not this year's. People would mob the massage appointment desk when they released available times at the top of each hour, and most would not get one (there were a limited number of massage therapists after all). The golf school event was pretty cool, they videotaped you and sent you a downloadable file via e-mail, but the wait was also somewhat taxing.

I do say, there is a big difference compared to the 2004 Taste of Luxury, when competitor models were offered and the event was invitation only (by mail, Lexus owners or special list only). In 2005, invitations were put online and the event got dumbed down a lot, IMO because a lot of teenagers with no interest in Lexus were simply interested in freeloading and driving competitor vehicles. This year there are no competitor vehicles, but the ambience has been brought back much closer to what 2004's Taste of Luxury was like. 2006 was improved too, with the LS as the star attraction. But this year, the theatre, individual booths, Dwell, Wired, etc. are all new and they are aiming for a general luxury feel with mass appeal audience.

The best thing this year was the limited-attendance performance drive events that were announced here at CL. We got an evening edition, 300 people max, lots of personal attention, no lines, etc.
Old 09-22-07, 10:21 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
time to go buy another car!
believe me im tempted to
Old 09-23-07, 08:01 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I built up hubby on this event and boy were we disappointed!

The only good thing is we went on Friday around noon, which was when they opened up so we were the first to arrive with very small crowds. I was able to take several test rides - the LS460, LS460H and the SC. - if you call a curved one minute around a parking lot a test ride.

Gary - there were no goody bags - not even a key chain.

Here is what it said in the Lexus reminder:

Your personal reservation is your passport to this celebration of the Lexus lifestyle,...You will also have the opportunity to savor fine cuisine inspired by top-rated chefs and experience exclusive amenities.

If this is their idea of the Lexus lifestyle, I would rather go camping. The food and entertainment are better. The food was very limited in quantity (they told you that you could only get one meal) and quality - basically you got one small dish out of three "meals" with no choices and no extras. They scanned your card - I guess if you tried to get another meal they'd call the cops. The "slider" was a tiny piece of cold hamburger with a few chips on stale bread; the lamb was about a half ounce of lamb slivers on stale pita with orzo.

If you wanted a drink, you had to go stand on a line (they scanned you again, so I guess you only get one drink) for a choice of coffee or watery iced tea.

The whole thing had the look and feel of a Red Cross refugee camp instead of a taste of luxury! The main goal of everybody there seemed to be to insure that you wouldn't cheat them by getting an extra bite of food or drink. When I tried to ask the most basic question about any of the cars, I was told "I'll have to check that" and I never saw the person again.

The funny thing was, my husband had been joking beforehand that we would get hamburgers and hotdogs - we only wished!

As far as SUVs - I had hoped they would have some kind of off-road course set up for their real SUVs like I had read about at competitor events. Instead, they didn't even admit that the GX or LX existed.

Bummer - I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with this boring event. The only things luxurious were the portapotties.
Old 09-23-07, 02:20 PM
garyr
Pole Position

888 I taped the TOL LA show on my DVR back on July 9th. It aired at 3:00pm on HD World Sport TV. I just had the opportunity to view it. You shouldn't be sorry, it wasn't your event.

Lady....I hear you, it was like the food police. I could not be bothered to stand in line another 20 min for a free bottle of water. I hope you kept your card when you left, I would not trust those people erasing my personal info. A lot less people, all model lines to be tested and a real luxury tent and hot fresh food would have made the event much better.

My wife and I both filled out the cards at then end and told them we actually think less of the Lexus brand after that experience. I'm starting to believe what my old BMW friends keep teasing me about "you bought a Toyota" seems to be ringing truer to me now.
Old 09-23-07, 04:00 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I was talking to my favorite service advisor at my dealer and she asked me if I went to that Taste of Lexus event in Jackson,NJ. Told her that I didn't get an invitation this year so I didn't know. She said...'OMG, it was a very embarrassing event! I'm glad you didn't go!'. She said that it was just so bizarre and Lexus seemed to have cut back so much. She said it was just not luxurious at all and it was all crap.
Old 09-23-07, 04:05 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

I too was somewhat disappointed by the lack of food availability, among other things. Only one plated meal... Also, the plant a tree thing was just... well... eh, "great." Give me my Lexus silver plate thing, please.

I did like the appointment to drive system.

I also noticed that it was more downscale in luxury, and there were some real shady characters there with little interest in Lexus. In fact, one guy stole 4 of the map DVDs from the cars during the test drives, and they knew it, but they couldn't force him to open his "camera case" to give it back.

Last year was much better.
Old 09-23-07, 05:19 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This year's event seemed to lose its focus. The luxury tent included the ES and RX (luxury?) the hybrid track didn't really let anyone who wanted to test a hybrid feel the hybrid effect. If you accelerated fast you got that but that's all. I own the 400h so I know. I would have preferred if they had put all of the RXs together, the GS together and LS together so you could control. The luxury course was almost longer and more challenging than the performance track which was way too short. 2004 was the best--great tracks (esp. the SUVs), food, comparisons, etc. Englishtown provided a real track to test the cars and there the Lexuses (Lexi? whatever) shown by themselves.
I was glad I selected the Flat Iron Steak even if it was small the salad was tasty. The some of my family had the sliders and were disappointed. The vegetarian choice was well received. I actually asked if I could have more iced tea. Mango was better than the Green tea which was watery.
Reservation system needs tweaking--only 2 kiosks in luxury and 1 was broken and long lines were there. They also wouldn't let you go to the ES early even though there wasn't one person in line!
Old 09-23-07, 05:55 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like I didn't miss much from NJ it's a good thing I decided to work instead after skipping out for the first time.
Old 09-23-07, 07:42 PM
phillies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any idea as to how soon we will get our $750 coupon in the mail?
Old 09-23-07, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by phillies
Does anyone have any idea as to how soon we will get our $750 coupon in the mail?
took me about 7 weeks
Old 09-24-07, 09:21 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

took me about 7 weeks
7 WEEKS! That's crazy! I need it now...
Old 09-24-07, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by yaro1
7 WEEKS! That's crazy! I need it now...
lol, dunno. i went to the first TOL this yr (first week of aug) and i got mine early last week i think. i went to another TOL end of aug and notging yet
Old 09-24-07, 04:00 PM
massshelti
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an invite supposed to be sent to every Lexus owner? I've never seen one, and I've owned since 2003.

C
Old 09-24-07, 04:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

not every owner. but i am not sure if it's random or they have a list.
Old 09-24-07, 05:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

lol, dunno. i went to the first TOL this yr (first week of aug) and i got mine early last week i think. i went to another TOL end of aug and nothing yet
So what are you going to use those for this time ?

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)