Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 06:16 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is what I thought of the event in N.J..

Bring back the old format Lexus!
Old 09-24-07, 07:16 PM
phillies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
7 WEEKS! That's crazy! I need it now...
I need mine now too.....
Old 09-24-07, 07:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Man, cant believe everyone is actually complaining about this event. If you thought this event was a waste of time, go to the Mercedes ride and drive event like I did the week before and then tell me who gives you a better luxury experience. Yall complaining about food. You couldnt drive the Mercedes more than once.

Well unlike everyone else, I enjoyed the event. I went on Sunday and I honestly didnt even notice much of a crowd till around 3:30pm. The food aspect of the event was a disappointment compared to last years TOL event. I got the flat iron steak which was luke warm and was probably an end cut because the 3 tiny strips were no bigger than my index finger. Wasnt a fan of the one platter rule but then again, I didnt go there to get fed. I went there to drive the cars. So I cant complain to much. By the way, you were allowed more than one drink and there was water all over the place.

I went with about 8 people and we had a ball. What was great about the registration/driving process was the fact that I could sign up to drive a car at a certain time, then while waiting for my turn, I experienced the other events and even rode shotgun with my friends. So even though I wasnt driving every single time, I was still active and still in the cars at a consistant basis. IMO that was waaaayyyy better than standing in a long *** line for 40min to drive the car once. Last year I drove the each car maybe twice. This year I cant even count how many times I either drove or rode in each of the cars.

Wired magazine section was cool. Got a chance to play the Wii nad to mess around with the iPhone. The Golf game was cool as well.

The event staff IMO was cool as heck!! I was chilling with them the night before at the Evening Edition. Just joking around and having some fun. The following day they remembered me so they were extremely cool with everything. One of the guys even told me to drive it like I stole it and try to catch up to my buddy who was in front of me.

On three separate occasions, people were kicked out for trying to steal the shift ***** out of cars. It was pretty insane seeing people jumping fences and running.
Old 09-24-07, 07:53 PM
phillies
Rookie

I had a fun time too at the TOL event. I don't understand why everyone is complaining. I was even impressed with the luxury bathrooms they had there.... lol
Old 09-24-07, 08:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said, GFerg, the comparison to the Mercedes event is definitely illuminating...I went to it before the Lexus one and the difference was very stark. I personally enjoyed a lot of the ToL this year, more than some previous events, although 2004 was really great.
Old 09-24-07, 08:36 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't complaining but when you compare with the event in 2004 you long for the past. I wasn't going to eat, but I would have liked longer driving courses.
Since Lexus has been doing this for years one would think they'd have worked out the kinks.
I did get to drive the cars I wanted as much as I wanted and had fun testing the limits of the 460s. I discovered that although I wanted a GS the IS handled better and would probably go for it even though it is cheaper and not as luxurious.
Now I need to get the IS pamphlet from the dealer. Getting the IS or whatever car as a loaner is a better test drive, but you don't want to push those cars.
Old 09-24-07, 09:29 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they Send invites to random people?
I got two invitations today, one for my sister and one for me. She owns a RX400H so i understood why she got an invitiaion. But mine invitation was weird, im only 17 and wouldnt be able to test drive any cars but i still got an invite. But hey, at least i get to go
Old 09-25-07, 08:11 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GFreg, If your idea of a luxury tent was playing Nintendo Wee than you are their target audience and I'm clearly not and thats even clearer to me now. I'm glad you had a great time, I really Am as I'm sure many others did as well.

My time is limited and to get my wife and I together and take time out to attend what was advertised as a luxury event was certainly let down for us both. We came with to test drive a LX or possibly a GX with the intent of buying one but I guess Lexus did not have room on the truck to bring it with them to the event. The wait for an hour to test drive was a greater insult to me. I guess if we drove 15mins to Lexus of Freehold we could have had a salesperson there to explain everything and road tested every model on the lot be fore we got our chance to drive around the small circle called the test track once.

I don't get it......I guess I'm not the target client Lexus envisions driving their flagship.
Old 09-25-07, 01:44 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought this year's event had much better control over the crowds when it came to the test drives. Once you made your appointment you knew when you had to be there give or take 10-15 minutes. Even with that some guy in front of me stepped out of an LS460, jumped in front of me to join his GF and then had another card to test drive an SC. I stood there thinking, "I thought you can only make one test drive appoinment at a time" People always find a way to cheat the system.

As for the event, it was very different than the past ones. It had less in accommodations but more in driving experience. Isn't this what it's all about anyway?

As for me, I didn't go there to eat, get a free gift, or put down other people or what kind of cars they drive. I went there to test drive what I might purchase one day.
Old 10-01-07, 10:02 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Went to Taste of Lexus this past saturday. Loved it had a great time and also really liked the new set up. Dont know why everyone was complaining. There was a white IS-F for us to view and every so often they would start it up and rev it up so everyone could here it.
Old 10-01-07, 11:21 AM
noobs
Rookie

I went this past weekend and thought it was fine. It is free after all and they put a fair number of people through it. Didn't go to eat or to play Wii or golf. Test tracks were a bit short though. It was was not very busy in the morning and they let us drive the IS350 multiple times without going in to register again.

I couldn't care less about a trinket or the quantity of food. Plenty of water was available in drums and lines were short. I did not have to wait to drive any car, except maybe 5 minutes for the SC.

It gave me a chance to compare the LS, GS hydrid, GS, and IS and reaffirmed my decsion to order a GS. It was the best fit for me, even though the IS is much more fun. I even drove an ES and confirmed my decsion not to consider it.

So overall a success. I even brought my 5 year old son who loves cars and can name them. I took him to the kids area and he said wanted to ride in the cars. He had a great time.

The only caveat I would add is if I were looking for a GX or LX, it would have been a bust.
Old 10-09-07, 12:09 PM
avex
Rookie

I just heard about this event. How do I get an invitation? Do I just ask my dealer for one?

Does everyone get one of these $750 coupons? Are they good on any model? I take delivery of my special order IS350 in January. Will I get it in time if I go to the 11/17 event in Boston?
Old 10-09-07, 01:35 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Go to the website and register for it. Oh and take pics and share your experience.
Old 10-09-07, 01:41 PM
avex
Rookie

In order to register, you need a Registration Code. I called my local dealer and got the code from him, so I'm all registered.

I am very interested in this $750 voucher, however. Anyone know anything about it?

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Go to the website and register for it. Oh and take pics and share your experience.
Old 10-09-07, 02:17 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I havent gotten one yet its normally a week or two after you go it arrives in the email.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus 2007 Official (pg. 6)