Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

e92 M3 Reviews from CAR/Autocar/Edumnds/Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 12:43 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E46 all the way, plus the new M3 has got some ugly creases in it.
Old 07-07-07, 01:47 PM
LexFather

Taken from
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=3324994

http://www.channel4.com/4car/rt/bmw/...s+coupe/2182/1
4.5 stars
Assets
Rev-happy V8, styling, carbon roof, manual gearbox, minimal electronic interference.

Drawbacks
Expensive, artificial steering feel doesn't inspire confidence, too refined.

Verdict
An excellent 21st century interpretation of the M3 - not perfect, though.

Old 07-07-07, 02:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
These reviews are really kind of shocking

This is stuff you read about Lexus all the time- vague or light steering, too quiet interior and exhaust note- but it's on a BMW M3

+1
one would think that BMW M division would at least get the steering right since it is that driving feel that sets them apart from other manufacturers

i can see 335i's sales soaring now
Old 07-07-07, 03:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow.

The halo car, or shining example for all that BMW stands for ... the M3 ... and reviews are so-so.

As shocking as it seems, it looks like with the new M3 BMW made it a more refined, comfortable mainstream car that has lost some of it's raw, edgy performance abilities.

Shocking that there was brake fade on an M car. Equally shocking are the almost unanimous comments from reviewers that the steering is too light, and somewhat vague.

When pics first surfaced of the new M3, there was dissapointment in the exterior styling, mainly due to not having enough differentiation from a regular 3 Series.

It's almost hard to believe that Benz has gotten edgier with the new C63, while BMW took a Benz/Lexus route and made the new M3 more comfortable and less edgier.

Things should get very interesting when IS-F reviews start coming in.
Old 07-08-07, 07:28 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanna say that I just saw a new M3 here in SF at around 4pm on Hyde street debadged driving around. I guess they're doing some testing or whatever but it looked pretty blah to me. Only reason I noticed it was due to the hood bulge. Turned around and it saw it had quad tailpipes and no badges.
Old 07-08-07, 07:47 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow.

Things should get very interesting when IS-F reviews start coming in.
It's inevitable each one of your posts always leads to LF-A, IS-F, Toyota F1, etc.. It's also inevitable that you always highlight something wrong with BMW and imply the IS-F will do better.

People criticize the BMW for being too edgy, not luxurious enough, not enough features, and then when they try to meet the middle ground, they are slammed for it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't IMO.
Old 07-08-07, 09:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The E92 M3 more than likely will still be a class leader. Most of the crticism is in comparison to the great E46 M3. I bet the steering feel and drivers feedback is still light years a head of the majority of its competition.
Old 07-08-07, 09:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OC 335i
It's inevitable each one of your posts always leads to LF-A, IS-F, Toyota F1, etc.. It's also inevitable that you always highlight something wrong with BMW and imply the IS-F will do better.

People criticize the BMW for being too edgy, not luxurious enough, not enough features, and then when they try to meet the middle ground, they are slammed for it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't IMO.
sounds awfully familiar
Old 07-08-07, 09:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's inevitable that BMW will always be vigorously defended here on ClubLexus, whether it's deserved or not, simply because it's BMW. Nowhere do I actually imply the IS-F will do better, because fact is I don't know. The difference is that you *assume* what I do or do not imply.

Trying to meet the middle ground? This is exactly what Lexus has been bashed and criticized for during the past several years, and now all of a sudden we should praise BMW for it ... just because it's BMW and not Lexus? I'm sorry, but give me a break! If Lexus was bashed all this time for it (that included bashing by a lot of BMW fans) then why shouldn't BMW be bashed too?

Lexus has tried to meet the middle ground from the very beginning, while BMW from the beginning was always about sport first, and luxury second. If BMW is suddenly changing it's core philosophy, especially on an M car which is supposed to represent pure, raw performance then criticism is inevitable and frankly justified.

What BMW has done with the new M3 would be analogous to Lexus removing some luxury and adding more sport to the LS, which is known for luxury. I'm not exactly a BMW fan, yet even I find it shocking that they would go "for the middle ground" with their M(otorsport) vehicles. As I understand it, the entire philosophy of the M cars has nothing to do with "the middle ground".

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The E92 M3 more than likely will still be a class leader. Most of the crticism is in comparison to the great E46 M3. I bet the steering feel and drivers feedback is still light years a head of the majority of its competition.
I wouldn't be so sure, at least when compared to the new C63.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 07-08-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 10:14 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't slam Lexus, obviously, we own one and I like it. I have always defended Lexus on BMW boards when people unjustly slam it. I always say, they are just two very nice and capable cars. However, I don't think Lexus is as middle ground as BMW is, but I'm more partial to the performance side of it. It is of course, my opinion.

Until we see real world performance numbers of the new E92 M3, I don't think it's fair to say they are sacrificing performance all too much. I don't see BMW changing their "core philosophy" as you say either. They are still more performance than Luxury. You don't see the M3 being offered in manual only for example.
Old 07-08-07, 11:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no need to get personal about this discussion just because someone does not agree with a post. Keep it to the subject matter at hand. It is inevitable that the IS-F and AMG will be brought up when discussing the new M3 just the same as the M3 has/will be brought up when discussing the IS-F.
It is the nature of the beast and what this forum is all about.
Old 07-08-07, 11:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I wouldn't be so sure, at least when compared to the new C63.

Good point on the C63. That is a car that could be serious competition.
Old 07-09-07, 06:41 AM
ego_man108
Driver School Candidate

+1

Being a Lexus forum, where the seemingly overwhelming opinion is that "softer is better", I'm surprised that we're seeing posts cutting down the new M3 for not being raw enough. That kind of caught me off guard. It seems evident that BMW continues to cater to the largest possible market segment by concentrating on feature content and technology, and by softening the hard edges, so to speak. Can't say that I blame them. It's not going to make car magazines and driving enthusiasts happy, but it is what it is.
Old 07-09-07, 08:32 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

People (mostly car enthusiasts) have compared and criticized each new generation M3 to the older ones for not being raw enough.. and bla ..bla ..bla.. etc.. but the FACT is the newer one is always faster and better than the old ones just like the E46M3 > E36M3 > E30 M3.
Old 07-09-07, 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well seems to me BMW's electronics and bigger bigger bigger every gen policy is going to hurt M models. Benz/Audi and Lexus are taking more and more out of their book. So everyone is kinda coming together.

I think the advantage BMW offered is less now than before.

Funny thing is this car is still a beast to most people and to people NEW to BMW or the M3.
Good points.

I think the purists are gonna scream.
This though, I think is irrelevant. So called 'purists' scream at every new 911, every new BMW, every new Aston, and so on. "Purists" tend to be those who can't move on.

The IS-F might have a chance!! lol
I still don't think so but no doubt it will have its fans.

I also think if BMW gets the DSG out for the M3, that's going to take it to a whole new level.

Quick Reply: e92 M3 Reviews from CAR/Autocar/Edumnds/Top Gear