Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anything on GS 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 03:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea lets wait until 2011-2012 for the 4th gen
Old 07-06-07, 03:54 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Why so secretive about the GS 460
Everybody new about the LS 600h way before it's launch date I mean that's the top of the line why so secretive about the GS unless it's going to be a major change or something let the masses know something 8-speed transmission, self parking, 380hp or 400hp.
Everybody knew about the GS450h also.

The GS460, IMO, doesn't make much sense to start now. It would be a better move for Lexus to wait until they redesign the GS as a 4th gen and then implant the larger 4.6+ engine into the car.

IMO, the M is everything the GS should have been. Lexus really got blown out of the water by Infiniti when they delivered the M45. The GS with it's half-a**ed design and the same 4.3 V8 was a joke compared to what Infiniti brought to the table. There's no point in Lexus trying to recover in this department with the current gen GS.
Old 07-06-07, 07:50 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrianGS430

The GS460, IMO, doesn't make much sense to start now. It would be a better move for Lexus to wait until they redesign the GS as a 4th gen and then implant the larger 4.6+ engine into the car.

IMO, the M is everything the GS should have been. Lexus really got blown out of the water by Infiniti when they delivered the M45. The GS with it's half-a**ed design and the same 4.3 V8 was a joke compared to what Infiniti brought to the table. There's no point in Lexus trying to recover in this department with the current gen GS.
Unfotunately this is true. I wanted to pick up another car and wanted to stay in the Lex fam but couldn't justify picking up a GS over the M45. So I'll wait for a 460 or something.
Old 07-07-07, 04:43 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Hehe.. when I bought my 99 GS400 the replacement car the original owner bought was an M45.
Old 07-07-07, 05:25 AM
LexFather

Official GS 460 thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205774

It will have the 8 speed from the LS so expect low 5, high 4 second and mid 13 sec 1/4 mile times. It might have more than 380hp (i predicted 400 a long time ago).
It gets a front/rear refresh, sideview mirrors with turn signals and other tidbits/updates.....

Its in that thread.

Old 07-07-07, 05:27 AM
LexFather

You do realizethe 4.5 in the M45 is the same carryover engine as the last M45 right The M35/45 might be the magazine darling over the GS but IMO, the GS is still the superior car.

Old 07-07-07, 07:04 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike it is July of 2007 and haven't heard anything. On that post it says spring of 2007.
Old 07-07-07, 07:17 AM
LexFather

Mike it is July of 2007 and haven't heard anything. On that post it says spring of 2007.
Sorry (I need to edit that) it will come out fall of this year.

Old 07-07-07, 07:22 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, have you heard anything cuz Hendricks appeared to know nothing.
Old 07-07-07, 08:11 AM
LexFather

Mike, have you heard anything cuz Hendricks appeared to know nothing.
Every dealer has been informed of the model year 2008 changes. This includes some changes to the GX, the IS gets a recontoured seat for more room and other minor color/trim changes to the lineup.

The salesman might not know or maybe they didn't pass on the information but the higher ups know the GS 460 is coming.

Old 07-07-07, 11:52 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You do realizethe 4.5 in the M45 is the same carryover engine as the last M45 right The M35/45 might be the magazine darling over the GS but IMO, the GS is still the superior car.
I thought the 4.5 in the M45 was the carryover from the Q45.

Nevertheless, it delivers more punch then the 4.3 in the 430.

And aside from the power argument, the M45, IMO, is far more asthetically pleasing to the eye than the 3rd gen GS. In terms of overall reliability and perhaps friendly user interface, the GS is superior to the M. But in terms of looks, power, and handling, the M edges the GS out.

The 3rd gen GS has definitely grown on me since it's debut. At first, I was VERY disappointed to what Lexus had to offer with the 3rd gen GS but ever since they brought the GS350 and the GS450h, the GS has gained some ground back. However, the M45, I believe it still the superior car (magazine darling or not), when compared to the GS. IMO, it offers more "drive" when compared to the GS430 (not comparing the GS350 or the 450h).

I'm sure the GS460 will give the M45 a run for its money especially if the 460 offers power in the upper 300's. But I still believe that it would be better for Lexus to wait until the redesign is offered before they deliver the 460 to the market. Like I said, the 3rd gen GS has grown on me, but it still isn't worth it to battle the M with the current design.

IMO, at least.
Old 07-07-07, 02:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If the rumours are true about the GS460 having a redesigned front suspension and available AWD, then it will be more than a match for the M45. The GS350 is already the superior car to the M35.
Old 07-07-07, 03:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If the rumours are true about the GS460 having a redesigned front suspension and available AWD, then it will be more than a match for the M45. The GS350 is already the superior car to the M35.
I belive the M45 will have AWD this year (2008 model). The VK is a great engine and Infiniti was ahead of its time when the engine was brought out. I believe the next iteration will be the M50 with over 400hp. There is literally nothing I like about the GS over the M...I even think the interior of the M is better I love Lexus interiors but the GS seems kinda bland. Lexus really needs to put more sport in their "sport" sedan.
Old 07-07-07, 03:27 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THe GS460 is available for special order, pricing just came out last week, but PIO are not available it will be out in Late Aug.

The Hybrid has 19" inch wheel option packaged with the Active SS option, and it is likely this is available on the 460 as well.
Old 07-07-07, 04:55 PM
LexFather

I thought the 4.5 in the M45 was the carryover from the Q45.

Nevertheless, it delivers more punch then the 4.3 in the 430.

And aside from the power argument, the M45, IMO, is far more asthetically pleasing to the eye than the 3rd gen GS. In terms of overall reliability and perhaps friendly user interface, the GS is superior to the M. But in terms of looks, power, and handling, the M edges the GS out.

The 3rd gen GS has definitely grown on me since it's debut. At first, I was VERY disappointed to what Lexus had to offer with the 3rd gen GS but ever since they brought the GS350 and the GS450h, the GS has gained some ground back. However, the M45, I believe it still the superior car (magazine darling or not), when compared to the GS. IMO, it offers more "drive" when compared to the GS430 (not comparing the GS350 or the 450h).

I'm sure the GS460 will give the M45 a run for its money especially if the 460 offers power in the upper 300's. But I still believe that it would be better for Lexus to wait until the redesign is offered before they deliver the 460 to the market. Like I said, the 3rd gen GS has grown on me, but it still isn't worth it to battle the M with the current design.

IMO, at least.
I find the M35/45 to be really good cars. They do everything pretty well and only fall short on image and fuel economy and little details. For the most part, they are excellent! Infiniti now has .9% financing on the cars, a smoking deal.

Looks wise, the car does nothing for me. Looks like an updated Passat and the Lexus influence is there, short hood/deck, rounded roofline of the GS. The front end is way to SUVish for me, no elegance. The rear tailights are awful. The car is 59"inches high, taller than a LS 430/S/7 series and looks too thin.

I do think dropped even with the stock 19" splitspokes helps but all cars dropped on 19s look better.

Its not ugly at all but nothing outstanding about it.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I belive the M45 will have AWD this year (2008 model). The VK is a great engine and Infiniti was ahead of its time when the engine was brought out. I believe the next iteration will be the M50 with over 400hp. There is literally nothing I like about the GS over the M...I even think the interior of the M is better I love Lexus interiors but the GS seems kinda bland. Lexus really needs to put more sport in their "sport" sedan.
The engine was great in numbers only, 340hp in 2002. Sad thing is it was no faster than a 290hp LS 430. Fast Forward to today and its slightly faster than a GS 430 but your buzzing at 3000 RPM at 70mph b/c of the aggressive gearing. It is a good engine, reliable, tons of power, etc. But with the GS 460 out this fall, well the E550 and 550 will all have updated engines and trannies.

Yes, Lexus needs more sport in their sedan, so they are bringing this while Infiniti brings us an EX SUV.

As for the GS style, its not perfect at all but far more interesting and detailed oriented than the M35/45. Its so interesting, Automobile did a design analysis on it AND Sports Car International. No other sedan in its class got so much attention for design. Again, its not perfect but nice.

The GS main issue with style is again, Nissan used the 2GS for all their sedan inspirations. Thus what was once ORIGINAL is now redundant. The 3GS didn't stand a chance with 100,000 Maximas and 250,000 Altimas being sold a year.

Back in 1998-2001, the GS was VERY VERY original. Not anymore, too many copies of it.

Quick Reply: Anything on GS 460