Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anything on GS 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 12:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I belive the M45 will have AWD this year (2008 model). The VK is a great engine and Infiniti was ahead of its time when the engine was brought out. I believe the next iteration will be the M50 with over 400hp. There is literally nothing I like about the GS over the M...I even think the interior of the M is better I love Lexus interiors but the GS seems kinda bland. Lexus really needs to put more sport in their "sport" sedan.
Some rumours say the 5.0L Infiniti V8 will have 390HP, while others say it will have 400+HP. No sense in arguing about it now because we do not yet know official power ratings for this engine. The M50 is supposed to be the next-gen M, and the GS is getting a redesign around the same time. The 4th gen GS may get engine updates for all we know.

What we do know *for a fact* is that the GS460 comes out in a few months, and that it will have at least 380HP. Rumours also suggest AWD and redesigned front suspension.

What you hate about the GS is mostly subjective; style. I personally can't stand the "ATM" dash of the M, nor do I like the oversized taillights and generic front end of the M. I actually prefer the styling of the first gen Infiniti M; at least it was more unique and less generic.
Old 07-08-07, 02:14 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The main problem with the 3rd Gen GS is that it isn't the quantum leap over the 2nd Gen that it's competitors were over their respective predecessors.

Compare :

Handling--barely better than an L-tuned 2nd gen GS. My modified 2nd Gen GS300 handles so much better, it's not even funny.

Power---only the 350 engine is appreciably better than the prev gen engine.

Looks---it looks sleeker but has lost much of it's presence compared to the 2nd Gen

Interior Volume---the big deal-killer for me. Essentially, the 3rd Gen is half a class smaller than the 2nd Gen/5 series/E-class. You only need to sit in the rear seats to know the difference.

Let's put this another way : if Lexus had fitted the 6 speed transmission on the 2nd Gen, fitted all the peripheral toys like the reversing camera,rear automated sun-blinds,auto-folding wing mirrors on the old 2nd Gen body shell, what advantage has the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen?

NIL--in fact, an up and coming executive with a young family would find the more spacious 2nd Gen more practical and comfortable.

So yes, I agree with a previous poster who said that Lexus should cut their losses and bring the 4th Gen GS ASAP to the market.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the upcoming RWD Hyundai Genesis with it's large wheelbase,long standard feature list,affordable pricing and improved suspension.

Last edited by natnut; 07-08-07 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 04:08 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by natnut
The main problem with the 3rd Gen GS is that it isn't the quantum leap over the 2nd Gen that it's competitors were over their respective predecessors.

Compare :

Handling--barely better than an L-tuned 2nd gen GS. My modified 2nd Gen GS300 handles so much better, it's not even funny.

Power---only the 350 engine is appreciably better than the prev gen engine.

Looks---it looks sleeker but has lost much of it's presence compared to the 2nd Gen

Interior Volume---the big deal-killer for me. Essentially, the 3rd Gen is half a class smaller than the 2nd Gen/5 series/E-class. You only need to sit in the rear seats to know the difference.

Let's put this another way : if Lexus had fitted the 6 speed transmission on the 2nd Gen, fitted all the peripheral toys like the reversing camera,rear automated sun-blinds,auto-folding wing mirrors on the old 2nd Gen body shell, what advantage has the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen?

NIL--in fact, an up and coming executive with a young family would find the more spacious 2nd Gen more practical and comfortable.

So yes, I agree with a previous poster who said that Lexus should cut their losses and bring the 4th Gen GS ASAP to the market.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the upcoming RWD Hyundai Genesis with it's large wheelbase,long standard feature list,affordable pricing and improved suspension.
I have to agree with almost all of your assessment about the 3rd Gen GS. Long live the 2nd Gen GS.
Old 07-08-07, 05:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The worst thing is :

all those things I pointed out--reversing camera,6 speed autotrans, autofolding wing mirrors,automated rear blinds, projector HIDs-- could have been easily implemented in a mid-cycle face-lift of the 2nd Gen.(Lord knows all that tech has been around for years on the previous generation LS430.)

THAT GS, I would have gladly shelled out money for.Instead, i have to console myself with modifying my current car and lamenting what might have been.
Old 07-08-07, 07:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Some rumours say the 5.0L Infiniti V8 will have 390HP, while others say it will have 400+HP. No sense in arguing about it now because we do not yet know official power ratings for this engine. The M50 is supposed to be the next-gen M, and the GS is getting a redesign around the same time. The 4th gen GS may get engine updates for all we know.

What we do know *for a fact* is that the GS460 comes out in a few months, and that it will have at least 380HP. Rumours also suggest AWD and redesigned front suspension.

What you hate about the GS is mostly subjective; style. I personally can't stand the "ATM" dash of the M, nor do I like the oversized taillights and generic front end of the M. I actually prefer the styling of the first gen Infiniti M; at least it was more unique and less generic.
I never said I "hate" the GS style. I just think the M looks better. In fact, if the GS came handled a bit better I may take the GS350 over the M35 but again, I just don't think they instilled enough "sport" into the equation. A lot of people argue that its a Lexus and thats the way Lexus handles but I was hoping they would branch out a bit.
Old 07-08-07, 09:24 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I never said I "hate" the GS style. I just think the M looks better. In fact, if the GS came handled a bit better I may take the GS350 over the M35 but again, I just don't think they instilled enough "sport" into the equation. A lot of people argue that its a Lexus and thats the way Lexus handles but I was hoping they would branch out a bit.
That I can agree on. The 3rd gen GS *should* have had more sport put into it. The GS450h with active stabilizers is quite sporty, but it's a niche model. Hopefully the GS460 gets the active stabilizers option.

Interior volume is also somewhat of a problem, but it wouldn't be such a big deal if the GS was more sporty. The GS simply needs a bit more differentiation from the ES and IS.
Old 07-08-07, 10:48 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That I can agree on. The 3rd gen GS *should* have had more sport put into it. The GS450h with active stabilizers is quite sporty, but it's a niche model. Hopefully the GS460 gets the active stabilizers option.
Hopefully, since **** is also an option on the GS430 right now.

I'd just prefer if they brought out an AWD GS460.

Last edited by marshmallo; 07-08-07 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 12:37 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the m45 barely makes more power than the vq atm. the style also doesn't appeal to me. the only thing that appeals to me is the pricetag.
Old 07-08-07, 01:39 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will the GS460 finally get a much deserved sports suspension/package like the IS350?