Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford F150 vs Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 03:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F150 vs Toyota Tundra

I found this pretty interesting, not sure if it has been posted before.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...oser_Look.html
Old 07-08-07, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's been a lot of discussion on CAR CHAT about the Tundra-F150 comparison, especially about frame strength and the comparison of Toyota's C-rail frame design to Ford's more traditional one. My review of the I-Force 4WD V8 Tundra a few months ago generated even more discussion (and some heated opinions on both sides). The Tundra has been tested by engineers and, in the version I reviewed, is rated to haul 10,800 lbs....about the same as an equivalent F150. The article you posted showed some of the Tundra's bolts to be "inferior" to the F150. If this indeed is the case, only time will tell, as miles and stress build up on the new Tundras. Ford and Toyota can both stage any kind of press ad or "demonstration" that they want, but only time and carrying loads will determine just how well a truck is built in the long run.

I thought the Tundra I tested was a superb truck, engineering-wise, under the skin, with a drivetrain and road manners more refined than the F150. However, the skin and interior was another story. The Tundra was clearly built with some cost-cutting in mind, and the F150 is far superior in the quality of its sheet metal, doors, interior and exterior trim, hardware, and interior attractiveness. The Tundra, inside was, IMO, a real disappointment, with dime-store quality hardware.

One of the main issues here (and I've harped on this before) is that Toyota FINALLY has a TRUE full-size truck to start with. This is something long overdue. The company clearly did not learn its lesson, as it should have, with the T100/150 sold in the mid-1990's. Nor, inexplicably, did it learn its lesson with either the first or second-generation Tundras, which were mid-size trucks with V8's masquerading as "full-size" ones. Nor, even MORE inexplicably, did it learn its lesson when rival Nissan did it right to start with with the Titan (only the Titan's poor quality kept it from decimating earlier Tundras in sales). Now, Toyota FINALLY has gotten the size and engine issue correct...which it should have done 10 years ago. Only the sheet metal and interior still need some more work.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-07 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 05:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another video I found... Again, if it's a repost, I appoligize

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0