Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Chinese Cherys Are Finally Coming.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 07:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
You like your ipod? over 50% of its components are made in China. Same with nearly all semiconductor components. There is so much the Chinese does exceedingly well under the radar. You only hear about the bad things because 1. the media likes to portray China as the antagonist and 2. these components are manufactured in China but relabeled as American and Japanese components and sold as such devices.
Please, the I-pods maybe made in China, however, they are made using US technology, using US equipment. Cheap Chinese labor is the only reason they are even made in China.

Trust me, the Chinese are no slouches. They are the only country besides the US and Russia with a space program. They are planning to put a man on the moon in a couple of years. Some may argue that the US was first, but as I said before, a Chinese guy co-founded JPL. Had it not been for him, who knows where the American space and rocket program would be today. Maybe the same, maybe better, maybe worse. who knows, but we do know he was a major contributer to American progress with little of the recognition. I bet only a handful of people know a Chinese guy co-founded JPL.
Yeah, they probably bought/pirated the space technology from the Russians. Seeing that they can't even make a proper toothpaste, I doubt very much that they are capable of developing anything worthwhile on their own.

China is now the #1 economy in the world. Just because there are some copycats selling ripped DVDs or knock-off shoes does not mean that China is not capable of producing quality products. Sure, when a Chinese guy is selling a ripped DVD it is wrong and labeled as pathetic but millions of people then turn around and download ripped movies off of torrent sites.
It's not just the knock off shoes, anything that China does is a knock off. Yes, they are #1 economy right now, but do you realize why? Their economy is mostly manufacturing and fabrication, and they beat everybody elses prices. But this is because they do not honor labor laws or human rights laws of any civilized countries, and have virtually free slave labor. But even more importantly, this is because they do not respect patents and copyrights, they shamelessly rip off designs, technologies, they rip off expensive CNC machinery used in fabrication process, they use pirated software, and do not spend a penny on R&D. I've never heard of any Chinese innovation, never seen a semi decent product developed solely by the Chinese, but I did see Chinese CNC machinery, such as laser cutters, automatic saws, milling machines, automatic welders, power brakes and shears, that are almost exact copies (rip-offs) of their German and Italian counterparts, but they are underselling them for 1/3-1/2 of the price. And the sad thing is that the Chinese government does not give two poops about it, and does nothing to enforce patents/copyrights.

There is a good chance the products you have and love right now have underlying Chinese components--you just don't know it.

Lenovo anyone?

If you ever talk to a business professional, they don't hold bias against foreign makers like China or outsourcing to India. You hear criticism for people who aren't experts or real businessmen. Go to your local university and talk to a business professor. I haven't met one that seriously believes China is a producer of crap.
Like I said before, most hi-tech products made in China are not developed there, so they aren't truly Chinese. The things that are truly Chinese are pretty much the stuff you find at Wallmart, such as poisonous tooth paste, baby bibs with led paint, etc.

And to those who say that we once laughed at Toyota and Honda, well this is true, however there is a substantial difference between Japanese manufacturers and Chinese/Koreans. Yes, the first Toyotas and Hondas might have been laughable in the sense that they didn't compare to American large, powerful, luxurious cars, but at the same time these Japanese vehicles featured better fuel economy, cleaner emissions, and various new engine technologies. But most importantly, these vehicles were not copies of American or European vehicles, they were developed solely by the Japanese, using their own designs, technologies, and R&D.

The bottom line is, the Chinese will probably eventually improve their copying/ripping off technologies, and catch up to Huyndai in making decent yet boring automobiles, but will never lead or innovate.
Old 07-11-07, 02:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You like your ipod? over 50% of its components are made in China. Same with nearly all semiconductor components. There is so much the Chinese does exceedingly well under the radar. You only hear about the bad things because 1. the media likes to portray China as the antagonist and 2. these components are manufactured in China but relabeled as American and Japanese components and sold as such devices.
I love my iPod. Yes I know it's made in China by Foxconn. I would love it more if it wasn't made in China, so it wouldn't crash every few weeks.

Trust me, the Chinese are no slouches. They are the only country besides the US and Russia with a space program. They are planning to put a man on the moon in a couple of years. Some may argue that the US was first, but as I said before, a Chinese guy co-founded JPL. Had it not been for him, who knows where the American space and rocket program would be today. Maybe the same, maybe better, maybe worse. who knows, but we do know he was a major contributer to American progress with little of the recognition. I bet only a handful of people know a Chinese guy co-founded JPL.
Thanks for the info on who co-founded JPL. Good for him. However, while steel-making originated in East Africa in 1400 B.C., that doesn't mean that without East Africans we would all be living in sand dunes and wood cabins.

They are the only country besides US and Russia to have a space program because 1) They have the spare money to do so, 2) they love to do anything that put China on the front page of world press, such as doing Olympics or World Expo, and 3) other countries such as Japan dropped their space programs due to practical reasons.

China is now the #1 economy in the world. Just because there are some copycats selling ripped DVDs or knock-off shoes does not mean that China is not capable of producing quality products. Sure, when a Chinese guy is selling a ripped DVD it is wrong and labeled as pathetic but millions of people then turn around and download ripped movies off of torrent sites.
With money, ANY country is capable of producing quality products. China just happens to HAVE money but decided NOT TO PRODUCE quality products.

And referencing downloading movies is such a bad analogy. Just because other people download China-originated movies doesn't justify them pirating in the first place.

There is a good chance the products you have and love right now have underlying Chinese components--you just don't know it.
Trust me, a lot of people are aware of underlying Chinese components in products they love. That is not because they absolutely adore Chinese-produced goods, but WE JUST DON'T HAVE A CHOICE. People will love iPods, Playstations, and other things a lot more if they are made in Japan, Europe, or good ol' US of A.

If you ever talk to a business professional, they don't hold bias against foreign makers like China or outsourcing to India. You hear criticism for people who aren't experts or real businessmen. Go to your local university and talk to a business professor. I haven't met one that seriously believes China is a producer of crap.
You bet. business professionals are out there to maximize profits while cutting costs. Naturally, China is the best place to produce now, with their borderline-slave-labor and almost-cost-nothing-to-hire labor. They outsource simply because they are cheaper, not that they are better. Would Apple produce iPods in China if it cost the same to produce in Japan? Would Dell outsource their CS and tech support to India if it costs the same in the US? I bet you can answer that yourself.

You hear criticism from people who are consumers and buyers who are actually using these products. Why did a GM exec drive a Lexus? Because it's a better product, and he doesn't have to worry about cost!

Again, business professors apply their theory of producing as much as possible while spending as little as possible. I'll give you that. But ask them if a Chery costs the same as a Toyota, which one will they pick. Just because they are more appealing by being cheaper doesn't make them better products.

Nokia first started the movement in China to improve working conditions in their accessories factory. Good for them. Look at Nokia phones now, most of them say "Made By Nokia". That is sugar-coated "made-in-China". Why do they produce their top of the line 8800 phone in Finland? Why does Sony Ericsson produce their top of the line P990i phone in France and not China like the rest of the cheaper products? Because when things get that expensive, they can sell to people who would pay extra for better production. That's my point.
Old 07-11-07, 02:23 PM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toxic tooth paste & toilet paper from China aren't enough, now those evil Communist Chinese try to kill us with their POS automobiles.

I saw this on the news yesterday showing those steam pork bums that been sold in Beijin were made with disease pork & paper card box..... and BILLIONS of rats are running around in one of the province.

Last edited by VIPLINE; 07-11-07 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-11-07, 02:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
Toxic tooth paste & toilet paper from China aren't enough, now those evil Communist Chinese try to kill us with their POS automobiles.

I saw this on the news yesterday showing those steam pork bums that been sold in Beijin were made with disease pork & paper card box.....
there are alot of those things in China, but not much of them get to the US due to the worst press freedom in the universe.

Mattresses stuffed with newspaper, old, molded rice repackaged and resold as brown rice, dirty soy sauce and vinegar, you name it. Those are called "Hay-Shin" products, literally translating to "black heart", meaning that they were produced by evil people.

But let's get back to the topic of Chery.

I hope US reviewers get a hold of these things to test soon.
Old 07-11-07, 03:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL. Sure there's a ton of nice cars in SoCal, but there's also a load of clunkers too. You see as many or more 10 yr old Corollas as Lexus.

And the zillions of illegals often drive clunkers.
This is absolutely true, but most of these old clunkers don't cost $10K.

The 'zillions' of illegals mostly pay cash for their clunkers and probably won't want to finance the purchase of a new Chery because the financial institution will require full coverage insurance... and a permanent address.
Two things many of these folks don't have...

Not too many clunkers in my 'hood... I am the white trash!

Zing!
Old 07-11-07, 03:28 PM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

You are just a racist BTICH aren't you? Bausch and Lomb produced contact lens solution that resulted in a lot of people losing their eyes. How about all those food recalls lately. How about Firestone and those tires they are producing to try to kill Americans...

Does that mean America sucks? No way, America is a great country.
Racist??? Anti-China??? stay off the chinese crack .....oh, my bad....those are toxic chinese sugar.

America is a great country since everyone here gets to have as many children as he/she wants....but definitely not CHINA.

Adjusting ourselves the next 30 years? I would not worry about that. The land in China will be rotten by then with all the pollutions.
Old 07-11-07, 04:31 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VIPLINE

I saw this on the news yesterday showing those steam pork bums that been sold in Beijin were made with disease pork & paper card box..... and BILLIONS of rats are running around in one of the province.
Ah yes... we haven't had a good "Red Scare" in a while, have we?

The rats you to which you refer are being driven from their habitat due to floodwaters. That is not germane to the topic of build quality. Stay on target!
Old 07-11-07, 04:32 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

You are just a racist BTICH aren't you? Bausch and Lomb produced contact lens solution that resulted in a lot of people losing their eyes. How about all those food recalls lately. How about Firestone and those tires they are producing to try to kill Americans...

Does that mean America sucks? No way, America is a great country.
Cease the name calling... most unnecessary.

Since you brought up the Bausch & Lomb recall, there were 109 reported fungal infections and no reported instances that led to blindness. Harmed consumers can seek legal redress for damages from American companies and other European trading partners. Good luck getting any sort of remedy from a Chinese company. Chinese products constitute over 60% of all product recalls today and 100% of recent toy recalls.
Old 07-11-07, 05:04 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

"Eight U.S. patients have required cornea transplants."

That's losing your eye--quite literally--IMO, as I previously stated.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12257519/
Duly noted. I used the FDA site as my source. It remains to be seen if those eight patients needing corneal implants indeed contracted Fusarium keratitis through usage of B&L's MoistureLoc solution.

Now back to Car Chat...
Old 07-11-07, 08:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So your US technology and US equipment is crashing. But the Chinese are to blame because they are the ones making it? Hahaha. You two are the sorriest of the bunch aren't you?
I'm not blaming the Chinese for a crashing i-Pod, but even if an i-Pod isn't perfect, at least it was developed in the US, by Americans. When did Chinese develop anything on their own?

There is no need to worry about your opinion because I am willing to be you are no business/tech experts.
Judging from your posts, I'm willing to say you aren't a business/tech expert either.

hahaha "they probably stole it from the Russians".

oh man, that is some seriously good stuff.
It's no secret that Chinese have been buying a lot of nuclear and space tech from Russia. Do a quick google search, it returns hundreds of links, heres one - http://www.space.com/news/china_russia_991122.html

Yeah, screw China for their cheap slave labor. White people would never think of such a thing...enslaving people (maybe Africans).
First of all, its not the 16th century anymore. Second, if they wanna to trade in the World economy, they should honor the labor and human rights laws of civilized countries.

You know who you two sound like? Those white people who bashed on Japanese products without a clue about what was really going on in the world.
I always loved Japanese products, and back in late 80ies and early 90ies, whenever my family bought any electronics, we were specifically buying the ones with "Made in Japan" label. Nowadays its impossible to find any electronics that are made in Japan, but I wont seriously consider a car without such label.

I feel bad for you anti-China guys, because you are going to have a HARD time adjusting in the next 30 years or so.
Well, if China does not change their policies, within the next 30 years they are going to destroy US and European economies, and lose their market place, and go back to their misery of 10 years ago.
Old 07-11-07, 08:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Since you guys can't stay on the topic of talking about Chinese CARS (specifically Chery ) , this thread is closed .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-11-07 at 08:31 PM.