Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Chinese Cherys Are Finally Coming.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default The Chinese Cherys Are Finally Coming.

This verifies what Robparata posted months ago. Looks like it is now official.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...chrysler+chery

After long delays (the latest being a Bricklin-Chery deal gone bad), looks like the first Chinese-built cars are finally on their way. This will be a milestone here for the American auto market...as the first Korean Hyundais (though poorly-built) were 20 years ago.

http://www.cheryglobal.com/

I am eagerly looking forward to reviewing and test-driving Cherys when they become available in my area (my guess, though the article doesn't say, is that Southern California will get them first as a test bed, like it often does with new vehicles). I don't need any PM's.....they are already top priority on my review list. And...if you California guys get them first before we do here in the East, we'd appreciate some first-hand reports.

DETROIT (Reuters) — Chrysler and China's Chery Automobile will finalize a groundbreaking alliance Wednesday in Beijing that could result in the first Chinese-made vehicles being exported to the U.S. market.
The Chinese government has cleared the deal, a spokesman for Chrysler said Tuesday. A formal signing ceremony in Beijing featuring Chrysler Chief Executive Tom LaSorda is scheduled for Wednesday, he said.

"It's a finalization of the strategic framework we've been talking about," Chrysler spokesman Mike Aberlich told Reuters.

Chrysler, being sold to Cerberus Capital Management in a deal expected to close as soon as this month, had been negotiating with Chery to build a small car under a Chrysler brand for sale in the United States and elsewhere.

LaSorda said in May that a newly independent Chrysler was seeking a broader alliance with Chery aimed at small cars and faster-growing emerging markets.

More than 90% of sales for Chrysler, which holds the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands, are in North America and the No. 4 U.S. automaker has targeted growth in Europe and Asia as a key sales priority.

Chrysler's Aberlich said that the alliance framework to be signed in Beijing was general and that the two automakers would sign individual contracts for the vehicles that will be produced under the cooperative agreement.

Chrysler and Chery signed a preliminary deal in December that was seen as a major advance toward China's goal of exporting from its fast-growing auto industry into developed markets, including the United States.

Chrysler has said that it needed to find a partner to develop a new small car because of the costs of designing, making and marketing a vehicle in a segment where margins are narrow and consumers expect a low sticker price.

While many industry executives and analysts expect Chinese automakers to eventually compete aggressively in the U.S. market, several early ventures aimed at exporting a Chinese-built vehicle to the United States have faltered or faced setbacks.

Analysts have also cautioned that the first wave of Chinese-built vehicles are likely to face skepticism from American consumers concerned about safety and quality.

Cerberus is acquiring 80.1% of Chrysler from Daimler in a $7.4-billion deal expected to close this quarter.

The smallest car in Chrysler's current line-up is the Dodge Caliber, a compact hatchback launched last year.

More than 70% of Chrysler's U.S. sales come from light-trucks like its Jeeps and Ram trucks, a product skew that analysts have cited as a weakness at a time of high gas prices and expected tougher fuel economy regulations.

Chery, a medium-size auto company in eastern China, has posted fast sales growth in its home market by offering a line-up of inexpensive vehicles.

Chery currently exports vehicles to developing countries and has set a goal of selling 393,000 vehicles in 2007, up 29% from 2006.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 05:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll pass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Ep30M9wUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swzbt76wBM
Old 07-08-07, 05:41 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

my theory is that these cars are chinese government's evil plan to kill off US population one accident at a time
lol jk jk
Old 07-08-07, 06:33 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

ooohhhhh ubernoob ... drive around metro today did we?
Old 07-08-07, 06:36 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

lol. thats all i have to say for now.
Old 07-08-07, 06:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

As mmarshall points out. We laughed at Hyundai once. Oh and Toyota. And Honda, and...
Old 07-08-07, 07:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
+1.

Japanese cars being sold in the US (Just 20-30 years after they bombed Pearl Harbor?)--now that is ridiculous.

Oh wait, Toyo is now the #1 automaker.

And the very first civics (let alone Fords, Chevys, etc.) all had crash test ratings as bad or worse than this car.
Herein lies the problem with your comparison... You are comparing technology of decades past to today's technology. There is no reason or excuse for these cars to have crash ratings even remotely as bad as cars from back then.
Old 07-08-07, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
my theory is that these cars are chinese government's evil plan to kill off US population one accident at a time
lol jk jk
They still have to be Americanized, to an extent, and meet DOT and EPA standards to be sold here. These may be Chinese-designed cars, but this is NOT China.

(I do wonder, though, how the Smart-for-Two ever met DOT crash standards, but somewhow, it did, and is now on sale here)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-08-07 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ramon
Herein lies the problem with your comparison... You are comparing technology of decades past to today's technology. There is no reason or excuse for these cars to have crash ratings even remotely as bad as cars from back then.
Correct...at least to an extent. Chinese standards, of course, for crash resistance are nowhere near what ours are, but still, the astronomically high auto fatality rate in China is still caused mostly from driver error (and drinking) from a population and a society not used to modern automobiles and driving, not necessarily poor vehicle design.
Old 07-08-07, 07:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

They actually have crash tests for the Smart-for-two video's on youtube as well. The cars chassis holds up surprisingly well. The problem, however, is that the vehicle is so light, that it gets tossed around like a toy. So while you may not get crushed to death, the deceleration alone may kill you.
Old 07-08-07, 08:00 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I say let them come over... but whoever is dumb enough to buy them with the crappy crash ratings they get, then they are dumb enough to die in the ensuing crash.
Old 07-08-07, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
There are still American and Japanese cars being made with CURRENT tech that still get 2-3 star crash test ratings. The last gen 4runner still got 2-3 star rollover ratings.
The 4Runner and its Lexus GX470 cousin are both quite high and narrow in relation to their height, which doesn't do much for stability. I have commented on this a number of times in other threads.
Old 07-08-07, 08:10 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

There is no excuse for a 1-star rating, from any manufacturer. I wouldn't knowingly buy a car with that poor of a rating, regardless of the country it was made in. What exactly is your point?

As it stands, those Chinese cars in their current state are not crash worthy regardless of how a select few other American and Japanese cars rate. My point is that there are American, European, and Japanese cars that are much safer than anything I've seen from the Chinese thus far and if I'm going to put my family in a vehicle, I would chose one of those cars. I would not chose the made in China car, nor would I chose the 1 star made in Japan car. I'm not being biased against the Chinese cars nor am I favoring Japanese/American/European cars, I'm simply calling it as I see it. Now once the Chinese get their act together, that's another story, but as it stands now, I do not see them as a viable alternative.
Old 07-09-07, 05:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
There is no excuse for a 1-star rating, from any manufacturer. I wouldn't knowingly buy a car with that poor of a rating, regardless of the country it was made in. What exactly is your point?

As it stands, those Chinese cars in their current state are not crash worthy regardless of how a select few other American and Japanese cars rate. My point is that there are American, European, and Japanese cars that are much safer than anything I've seen from the Chinese thus far and if I'm going to put my family in a vehicle, I would chose one of those cars. I would not chose the made in China car, nor would I chose the 1 star made in Japan car. I'm not being biased against the Chinese cars nor am I favoring Japanese/American/European cars, I'm simply calling it as I see it. Now once the Chinese get their act together, that's another story, but as it stands now, I do not see them as a viable alternative.
Your point is well taken on the cars as they are right NOW, but getting the crash ratings higher will not take the Chinese long - maybe one to two years.

The Chinese manufacturers will be a MAJOR force in U.S. auto sales within 10 years.
Old 07-09-07, 05:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
Well, I say let them come over... but whoever is dumb enough to buy them with the crappy crash ratings they get, then they are dumb enough to die in the ensuing crash.
Is buying a Chinese car any dumber than DWI or road rage? You can't always design cars against deliberate stupidity.....especially at the prices these cars are likely to sell for. Though U.S.-market prices have not been announced, entry-level Cherys are rumored to start around $7000. That's some 4-5K below even entry-level Kias and Hyundais.

Quick Reply: The Chinese Cherys Are Finally Coming.