Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus Ever Get Full Autonomy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 08:15 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Lexus Ever Get Full Autonomy?

I was driving home from Atlanta and, while my passengers were sleeping, I started thinking about general crap. As a third gen GS passed me, I began wondering if Lexus would ever get full autonomy from Toyota. I know it seems like a pretty big stretch, but considering how Lexus has become it's own global brand recently, I don't think it would be too far from the realm of reality. As is, the Lexus lineup has undergone massive changes from the days when a lot of the parts were stamped with the Toyota name (Like my second gen) to now having everything stamped with Lexus.

For some reason, I think that if any of the luxury divisions would do it, it would be Lexus. They seem to be running their own shop now that they have become a worldwide brand, rather than a re-badged Toyota.

Anyhow, these are just my crazy thoughts and would like to know other members inputs.

Old 07-10-07, 08:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
I was driving home from Atlanta and, while my passengers were sleeping, I started thinking about general crap. As a third gen GS passed me, I began wondering if Lexus would ever get full autonomy from Toyota. I know it seems like a pretty big stretch, but considering how Lexus has become it's own global brand recently, I don't think it would be too far from the realm of reality. As is, the Lexus lineup has undergone massive changes from the days when a lot of the parts were stamped with the Toyota name (Like my second gen) to now having everything stamped with Lexus.

For some reason, I think that if any of the luxury divisions would do it, it would be Lexus. They seem to be running their own shop now that they have become a worldwide brand, rather than a re-badged Toyota.

Anyhow, these are just my crazy thoughts and would like to know other members inputs.

What do you mean by full autonomy? As in they split off from Toyota completely and become their own brand? I highly doubt that Toyota would allow such a thing to happen.
Or as in Toyota sharing less and less parts that are Toyota parts? I doubt this as well because part sharing is a great way to reduce costs.
Old 07-10-07, 08:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
What do you mean by full autonomy? As in they split off from Toyota completely and become their own brand? I highly doubt that Toyota would allow such a thing to happen.
Or as in Toyota sharing less and less parts that are Toyota parts? I doubt this as well because part sharing is a great way to reduce costs.
First option. They split from the Toyota Tree and become their own company. It happened with the Army and the Air Force back in the 40's...
Old 07-10-07, 08:42 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Stage3
First option. They split from the Toyota Tree and become their own company. It happened with the Army and the Air Force back in the 40's...
Lexus is too valuable to Toyota and Lexus on it's own probably would hike up R&D costs substantially.
Old 07-10-07, 09:00 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I don't think there is a chance at all. Too many models share cross platforms either in parts or models. Also, Toyota designed tends to share more in common with Lexus than the other way around. The manufacturing of parts and suppliers rolls over to both cars.
Old 07-10-07, 11:24 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

They practically treat Lexus as if they aren't the same company. Thats what makes them so good at what they do, they don't use the same engineers as they do in Toyota. On the other hand Honda has a problem with doing that to Acura and thats why they will remain where they are unless they take a much different approach.
Old 07-11-07, 12:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's starting to happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus#D...and_technology

In 2005, Lexus completed a full organizational separation from parent company Toyota, with dedicated Lexus Design, engineering, training, and manufacturing centers working exclusively for the luxury division.[21] This effort coincided with the launch of Lexus in its home market of Japan, and an expanded global launch of Lexus in major world markets. A recent focus of the Lexus Development Center (founded in 2003) is the introduction of L-finesse,
This written partly by yours truly.

Source: http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090601.html
Old 07-11-07, 06:41 AM
Koma

I still don't think either party will allow a full schism.
Old 07-11-07, 08:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Lexus may become it's own design and engineering and marketing entity, but still use Toyota technology/parts. But then again, isn't that what they're doing now?
Old 07-11-07, 08:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

In a lot of the world, Lexus is still sold through a Toyota dealer, in fact I heard that this was going to be part of the strategy down here at some point.
Old 07-11-07, 08:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Only thing that I wish was different is for the RX/ES to be on a dedicated Lexus chassis. I feel like placing at least the RX on a RWD chassis, perhaps the IS platform, would only be good. 270HP is simply too much for the FWD models. Swap the layout, and a 270HP RWD RX wouldn't be too bad.

I am about to swap into an RX350 from my GX 470, and am not at all looking forward to it
Old 07-11-07, 11:24 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
In a lot of the world, Lexus is still sold through a Toyota dealer, in fact I heard that this was going to be part of the strategy down here at some point.
That's how Lexus Europe got started. However, having Lexus sold with Toyota hurt the luxury image, so Lexus Europe has now embarked on more standalone Lexus dealerships.
Old 07-11-07, 11:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

This makes me think of the Porsche and VW overlap that was written-up in Fortune recently. Some hints at how the combination works.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...5700/index.htm
Old 07-11-07, 11:57 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The main reason i bought a Lexus was BECAUSE its a Toyota. When you buy a new car *if you want reliability* you buy japanese, best japanese is Toyota, I wanted upscale so i got a lexus. If there were Toyota badges for the 2IS, i woulda swapped out the lexus for the toyota ones the first wk.
Old 07-11-07, 12:50 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Porshe & Audi did a great job seperating themselves from VW. The relationship between the above brands and VW are not as well known (to the lay person) as say the relationship between Toyota & Lexus.

Quick Reply: Will Lexus Ever Get Full Autonomy?