Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How long can Lexus remain #1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 09:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think anyone is talking about dog slow diesel, maybe something that has enough power for highway passing and gets good mileage. Power, to me does not equal to Luxury. They are two different things in my book.
The 335D must be one slow car..
Old 06-17-09, 09:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think anyone is talking about dog slow diesel, maybe something that has enough power for highway passing and gets good mileage. Power, to me does not equal to Luxury. They are two different things in my book.
Power does not automatically equal to luxury, but keep in mind that Yuropean versions of "premium" automobiles are often so under equipped that it leaves you wondering where the premium part is.
Old 06-17-09, 09:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The 335D must be one slow car..
Because 320D doesn't exist, right?
Old 06-17-09, 09:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Power does not automatically equal to luxury, but keep in mind that Yuropean versions of "premium" automobiles are often so under equipped that it leaves you wondering where the premium part is.
Under eqipped how? You make these cars your way.. Try configuring a Porshe 911..
Old 06-17-09, 09:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Because 320D doesn't exist, right?
Not in the USA.
Old 06-17-09, 09:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Under eqipped how? You make these cars your way.. Try configuring a Porshe 911..
Not in the USA.
I was talking about EU versions where most cars come equipped with small engines and basic set of features.
Old 06-17-09, 10:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I was talking about EU versions where most cars come equipped with small engines and basic set of features.
EU versions can be equipped just like the variants in the U.S.A. Choices my friend..
Old 06-17-09, 10:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

EU versions can be equipped just like the variants in the U.S.A. Choices my friend..
Read the whole thread so we wont have to go in circles.
Old 06-17-09, 10:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

IMO, the direction Lexus is heading right now, they will not be #1 in the US for muc longer. Didnt BMW or MB sold more cars in the US this year than Lexus so far.
Old 06-17-09, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Read the whole thread so we wont have to go in circles.
Bingo

IMO, the direction Lexus is heading right now, they will not be #1 in the US for muc longer. Didnt BMW or MB sold more cars in the US this year than Lexus so far.
Its a possibility I've stated for 2 years now. I thought BMW would have been #1 in America last year in sales.

We can really only speculate the why's behind the difference in sales. BMW/Lexus are by far ahead of Benz and Benz is far ahead of everyone else.

We will have quite a few luxury brands not sell/barely sell 100k cars here this year.

Old 06-17-09, 01:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We can really only speculate the why's behind the difference in sales. BMW/Lexus are by far ahead of Benz and Benz is far ahead of everyone else.
Because Americans are obsess with being #1, we have to be the best at everything and we want the best when we buy cars. BMW is the best performance wise and Lexus is the best reliability. We overlook other manufacturers that makes cars that are good at a number of things, a Jack of all trade sort of speak.
Old 06-18-09, 04:20 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

German culture and Japanese culture are totally different. We both know since the early 1900s there has been great pride with racing/motorsport and cars in Germany.
Culture also influences how cars are styled, built etc.

I generally try to have an open mind. I like cars from all over.

It will take Lexus time. BMW in particular wasn't a big luxury brand until the late 1960s and 1970s and only recently has the lineup expanded (due to economies of scale, they need to sell more to stay profitable).
Right on. Lexus is still young and new. Eventually they'll earn their prestige (I hope) through other means as well (motorsport perhaps).

Will a Lexus museum ever happen? Maybe. For now to be honest what could they showcase? Not much.
I don't think Lexus should think about this yet. It is way too early and even if, they really won't have anything to show for it. Right now, the only real Lexus products that could be showcased in a museum are the original LS400 and maybe (just maybe) the LS600h. In my opinion of course.

As for replying to what you quoted, I stated that 2 years ago. I don't agree that failures were only due to marketing. The car stunk, period.
That's the point of forum - people can disagree and argue!

I still think marketing was the main reason these cars failed. BMW failed to convince people what made the 3 series compact so special. The engine under the hood didn't help either. The rest of the car was fine. People just didn't know what the point of this car was.

The same thing was essentially true of the C class sportcoupe. People thought it was a sports-biased machine - it wasn't. The engine was powerful by most accounts but the refinement was totally lacking. After the facelift the cheap interior got better but I guess the damage was done. People just didn't know what the point of this car was - like the 3 series compact.

Both these cars would have excelled in attracting new customers to both BMW and Mercedes because in comparison to other products of their respective firms they were "affordable" (for that specific young rich crowd). There just wasn't enough marketing effort to really push these cars into the minds of people.

Last edited by DustinV; 06-18-09 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-18-09, 04:38 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like it. Qute frankly heritage doesn't mean jack when you're driving a dog slow diesel with "premium badge" but manual everything and cloth upholstery and getting gunned down by a V6 camry with leather and automatic everything.
What "dog slow diesel" are you talking about specifically?

Did it ever occur to you that some people want a luxury car and don't care much about performance? Hell, most of those people probably drive Lexus cars in the United States, too. Smaller, less powerful, but more efficient engines are an alternative in Europe. An alternative that people want.

Oh, and please stop the "I was overtaken by a V6 Camry" thing. Nobody really cares about that. If you value performance then you're going to buy a model that is more powerful. Very simple. Someone driving a "dog slow diesel" really couldn't care less if a V6 Camry overtook them. What are you? A boy racer who likes to challenge everything that pulls up next to him at the light?

*Sigh* Kids...

Originally Posted by Och
And as far as heritage and museum goes, do they mention anything about using slave labor and commiting various crimes during WW2? Or that Dr. Porsche was a war criminal? Much to be proud of, right?
You make it sound as if the German brands did this from the moment they were created. Slave labor usage during World War II didn't really occur until from 1940 to 1945 if memory serves me right. What I do know is that the German brands have also paid compensation payments to the victims and their families as well as an apology.

You do know that Toyota also used slave labor during World War II, right? I am curious. Did Toyota ever pay reparation payments to these former slave laborers? You tell me.

Anyway, history and heritage is something the German (European) brands have and to many people this is a very important factor as it defines or shapes the appeal of a luxury brand in their mind. Don't underestimate this factor.

Originally Posted by Och
And then you're saying the "Toyota connection" is the biggest problem for Lexus. How so? They had a very smart business plan, Lexus to sell premium cars only and Toyota to sell mid level and economy autos. The plan works beautifuly, while Mercedes and BMW are actually victims of their badges in the US. Don't you think they would love to expand their sales in the US by offering less than premium models here that they have in Yurop? But they can't do that because it will "hurt their image".
Many people who value history and heritage see the "Toyota connection" when they look at a Lexus. Do they care? Some do, some don't.

Personally, I don't care much about this. I know a good product when I see one be it German, Japanese, Korean etc. I generally respect all car brands and their history but at the end of the day I want a good product that suits my needs - and I don't care about the history of the brand. I just want the good product.

And I mentioned history and heritage because many people seem to think that brand prestige is partly defined by this. Now, looking at the history of Mercedes it is hard to argue that Lexus is superior in brand prestige. What is Lexus most famous for? Reliable cars and good service and value. That's about it, really. Now look at the history of Mercedes (or BMW etc.) and look at their achievements, their success and participation in motorsport, innovation of all kinds and so on during the decades. Clearly, Lexus cannot compete here in terms of the overall picture. True, Lexus has been innovating - but so has the competition.

Like I said, I don't care who has more prestige. I want a product that suits my needs. But it is hard to claim that Lexus has as much brand prestige as its German (European) rivals - especially outside of North America, where what exactly prestige is is viewed differently.
Old 06-18-09, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV
What "dog slow diesel" are you talking about specifically?
Even in the US, if a luxury car is offered in 2 engine size, the smaller engine always outsell the larger engine by a wide margin.
Old 06-18-09, 05:43 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Even in the US, if a luxury car is offered in 2 engine size, the smaller engine always outsell the larger engine by a wide margin.
It also makes sense.

Plus, most people who buy cars are not enthusiasts and are looking for something else (not performance so to speak).

Quick Reply: How long can Lexus remain #1?