Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 02:43 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadillac Eldorado

Hi people I want to ask you guys something.
I have a 1994 sc400 right now but the thing is since long I was tinking about going back to American.
But the thing is that most American cars has a lot of problems especially with transmissions and things like that so that's why I didn't bother.
But my dad bought a 1969 Cadillac Eldorado and that car is in good condition and it's engine and tranny has never been rebuilded.
Since I am not the type of person who likes classics I thought I'm gonna take a look at some of the 2000 2001 Eldos since they stopped making these in 2002.
I talked with a guy who is a friend of mine that knows a lot about cars and he told me that the Cadillacs are one of the best cars in the world and also the most reliable.
Is this true?
I went the take a look at some and they were quite spacious at the interior and the body type is also a coupe but a different style of coupe but that's good cause that's the American style.
This friend of mine said that Lexus can and will never build a car like that so that gave me more reason to buy this car.
I went online and searched and came up with results that looks like the Eldo is a far better car then my sc400.
It outnumbered the sc400 in everything from interior space to handling,perfromance,braking and everything.
But before I go ahead and sell my car I have only 1 question.
How reliable is an Eldo from 2001 or 2000.
My car have 122k miles on it.
If I find an Eldo with that mileage on it will the tranny and engine still be in very good condition like my sc.
I plan on buying one from a dealer that has a complete service record of my car like I have with my sc.
Does the engine and tranny last a really long time like the ones of the Lexus or not.
And is a Cadillac really a better car then a Lexus?
I mean of course it's a Cadillac but in quality how would most of you categorize an Eldo vs ALexus sc400?
If I buy this car I want to keep it for a very long time that's why I want to know.
Thanks in advance.
And one other thing.
My friend says that Lexus can never build something like an Eldo.
Do you have any Idea what he meant by that.
What's so special about the Eldo that Lexus need to copy of of it to build in their cars?
I don't know a lot about cars like these people do so that's why I'm asking.
Old 07-12-07, 02:52 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

In my garage, there is one lexus and one caddy ... i'm in stats and need to pay attention ... but i'll give ya a good rundown later this evening
Old 07-12-07, 03:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if that's the car you like, go for it. But I can't have any commons or I will get banned.
Old 07-12-07, 06:58 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Lol, are you sure your not a troll?

As for the eldorado outhandling and outbraking the sc400 lets review basic specs, the car its a FWD setup vs your RWD car, its about 300 lbs heavier. And carries the same size tires as the SC400. It might slightly out accelarate your year of SC400, but by a rather small margin.

That laone youll be dealing with a bigger understeer pig then the SC400. They have average accelaration, below average handling, above average comfort and space. Performance vehicles they are not.

And your friend is right, Lexus will never build an FWD coupe that weighs over 4000 lbs. Simply put because theyre putting a bigger emphasis on performance and keeping their focus on luxury, a FWD setup is VASTLY inferior to an awd or rwd setup when it comes to heavy vehicles like this.
Old 07-13-07, 12:49 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Thanks for the info.
But as for the quality of the engine and the car itself are Cadillacs really better quality cars that lasts longer then Lexus?
How long would the tranny and engine last on a 2001 or 2002 Eldo and what are the most type of problem these cars can have if any at all?
Old 07-13-07, 01:28 PM
LexFather

I am about to end the thread..
Eldorado=discontinued
SC 300/400= continued, evolved into SC 430. The SC 300/400 won pretty much every award in the book. Its borderline legendary.

If the Eldorado was that superb, they would still be making it.

DOn't get me wrong, I like them. Nice clean cars. But I cannot fathom choosing over a SC.

I've ridden in old STSs (Eldorado twins) and ridden in old SCs, the same year. The Caddy's are literally falling apart.

I still find it a nice car.

Old 07-13-07, 01:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
Thanks for the info.
But as for the quality of the engine and the car itself are Cadillacs really better quality cars that lasts longer then Lexus?
How long would the tranny and engine last on a 2001 or 2002 Eldo and what are the most type of problem these cars can have if any at all?
A 72 Eldorado will make you the king of NY. I will take a 72 in purple A 96 will land you as king of the burger. lol. Do not purchase the Eldorado.
Old 07-13-07, 02:41 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly doubt an Eldorado outhandles a SC. The SC and Eldorado are different cars, no one is try to copy anyone. Like Inabj2 said, it's FWD vs. RWD. The Eldo is also a discontinued car. The last generation came out in 1992 and basically has been a carryover til it's death in the early 2000's. The 2001 Eldorado should have 300HP, which is more than a 1994 SC400. SC400 should still be a better handling car and also weigh less. Depending upon the condition of both vehicles, the SC should also get better fuel economy, although both cars are not gas gavers by any means.

As for the engine, I do know that Lexus spent (I believe) around $100 million developing the 1UZ engine. Many older Lexus V8 cars on the road are still driving around today in great condition. I know a friend who has a '91 LS400 with 311k miles on it and another friend with an LS with 280k+ miles on it.

As for the interior of the cars, I don't think much has to be said other than just looking at them. I felt the same way looking into an Seville STS and a Lexus GS. I would say that the Eldorado has more interior space though.

This story is a familar one for me. I had a guy try to convince me that the Lincoln LS was the superior car to a GS400 when I was looking for one
Old 07-13-07, 02:49 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For 50 years or so the Eldo was marketed as the "sporty" Cadillac. It was large, heavy, and crude, but it did introduce a bit of class to the GM line. I wouldn't want to depend on one for a daily driver, but my neighbor recently purchased a 1970 Caddy DeVille convertible from someone up in Ohio who had done a partial restoration - for about $7500. Fire engine red with a white leather interior, it shows little signs of age. The upholstery is almost perfect with a tear on the driver's door handle, but otherwise it could almost pass for showroom new. Cosmetically it is in great shape.

It has a new top that is well fitted, but is missing the boot cover. It leaks a bit of oil from the starboard valve cover, he was told, and the AC doesn't work. Otherwise, underhood it looks good - especially for a 35 year old car. He's planning to polish it up, replace the valve cover gaskets and check the belts and hoses, then drive it a few weekends during the fall and next spring. He plans to pull out the AC and replace it with a new unit from Vintage Air. The only real drawback is it costs about $90 to fill the tank, and with an optimistic 14 mpg, that 472 CID powerplant is going to be tough to keep fed.

But it's going to be fun. We are already planning a cruise in it this fall. If you are looking for a project car, one that will REALLY turn heads wherever it goes, you can't do much better than this for the money. You'd better be ready for a lot of attention because in this ride you couldn't be more conspicuous if you set your hair on fire.

It could be a decent investment too, for someone willing to invest in a little more mechanical restoration. Locally this model restored is going in the low to mid twenties. Now, add an intake manifold, headers, and a nitrous bottle and see what you can do with 700 hp on pump gas!

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-13-07 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 03:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, I can't compair those exact cars, but I can compair the brands.
In my garage: 2001 IS300 and 1999 STS (both are fully loaded)
Discalimer: I realise they are different classes, but since I'm compairing brands, build quality, etc it shouldn't matter. Things like 0 - 60 times, weight, space, gas milage are all available online so there's no real point in me talking about that.

+Cadillac: Though American made, Cadillac is well constructed and has many nice options. My family has always, always owned Cadillacs (the IS300 is the first non-Caddy), problems have been minimal or non-existant though the various diferent models and never very expencive (relatively speaking of course) when it is time for repair. Another bonus is that because it's an american car, almost anybody can service it, you do not need to do to the dealer (of course, whether you go else where or not is a personal comfort decision). Dealership quality is ok, but they'll treat you well becuase you're in the top end GM product, and getting a decent courtessy car isn't dificult. Lastly, very comfortable ride on all fronts, good sound system & plenty of storage space.

-Cadillac: It is American made; therefore handling isn't as good and it's big (thus making parking somewhat challenging at times depending on where you live). They oftin get somewhat lousy gas milage. There aren't many useful modification options out there (mostly you'll find ways to bling ur caddy, and really, no body wants that).

+Lexus: (not a whole lot that we don't already know) Well made, very few problems, overall good hangling, more efficient (but not by a lot). Nice dealerships, good courtessy cars. Lots of aftermarket stuff available for performance, efficiency, etc.

-Lexus: (again, it's a lexus forum, so searches can give you these answeres) Not anybody can service it, if you have to go to the dealership it will be expencive (no way around that one). Sound system could be better (brand new models excluded). Not as much storage.

Last two things for concideration (but they depend largely on what type of lexus you buy): ride quality - obviously the LS is generally smoother than the IS, and luxury features - again, the difference between an IS and an LS id going to be quite large.

For me, I think the two brands are quite nicely lined up to each other (the entire reason there's even a Lexus in my garage was because the IS was more conveniant at the time then the CTS) and I think that the decision comes down to personal preferece and how well the car fits around you when you sit in it. Are all the buttons where you think they should be? Is everything you want to be within reach actually within reasonable reach? Can you position the seat/steeing wheel/mirrors just right?

I don't know if that will help you at all, I know the comaprisson is very general, but I meant it that way. If I were you I would seriously drive both, and try and use both in some common practical application before making a decision.
Old 07-13-07, 03:48 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

let me guess.. you must be 50+
Old 07-13-07, 05:56 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
let me guess.. you must be 50+
i'm 22 ... but thanx for that
Old 07-13-07, 11:21 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
i'm 22 ... but thanx for that
my previous comment was for the OP.
Old 07-14-07, 02:02 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Keep shopping.
Old 07-14-07, 02:31 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Thanks faymester your info was very helpful.
I don't know if I'll be able to own 2 cars now but I'll try.
If not I'll sell the SC.
I knew these cars where good.
AS for front wheel drive and things like that I don't care it doesn't make any difference.
But one thing!
The Cadillac is American and you got tp love that American feel.
I don't know if any of you understands what I'm talking about but when I sat down it that Eldo it felt like a good old American Car.
And that is a good feeling because you feel right at home in that American Car.
I think we should be proud of ourselfs that we have these kind of cars and we must know that luxury is right here at home.
Thanks to everybody!
You really helped me make a good desicion