Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Formula 1 Not Coming Back to U.S. for 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah right. And if you believe that I've got some land here in FL to sell you.
That was just a joke, bit....I wasn't serious. But I WOULD like to see Ecclestone buy his own tickets like everyone else. True, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-14-07, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Donald Trump doesn't need to work either, but it's waaaay beyond money, it's about power and ego.
Well, yes, that's true to an extent. F1's awful financial condition in the U.S shows that it is not just about money. A number of auto manufacturers and top-tier racing teams have left F1 (especially CART, or whatever they call it now) in the last few years, obviously taking their money with them. The rival IRL (Indy Racing League) is a little better off, but NASCAR, as I explained above, is killing them both with its massive popularity and attendance figures.

You live near Daytona, don't you? You have probably seen for yourself the massive crowds that congregate there at the speedway.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 10:25 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No problem. I know that F1 has its fans, that others don't always agree with me, and that some people think that NASCAR is like monkeys driving around in circles. Heck, my best friend thinks the same way (he's a car enthusiast, like me, but doesn't do regular reviews)......he compares superspeedway driving to chimpanzees.

Of course, F1 driving is difficult too...but in a different sort of way. It is more demanding in shifting, braking, and cornering. But I would consider it more of a road-rally type of motorsports than true racing. I guess (maybe for a million and one times ) we're just not going to agree on it.
I am sure we will disagree often

IMHO F1 is the pinnacle of racing. You get a much wider variety of
movement with all those turns and you also do get a lot of speed.

I just think that the Indy debacle with the Michelin tires was too much
to recover from and that region of the country is just not the kind of
place people want to visit. No offense to anyone from there, but I
just cannot get excited about a GP in Indy.

Make it in NY and I am there every year.
Old 07-14-07, 11:04 PM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 is not European racing event, it's global. The whole world watch F1 but the US. Same as soccer, the whole world watch soccer but the US.

F1 is sophisticate & high tech. The construction of those race cars, the pit strategies, the fuel & tires strategies.....
Old 07-15-07, 06:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
F1 is not European racing event, it's global. The whole world watch F1 but the US. Same as soccer, the whole world watch soccer but the US.
The rest of the world doesn't have anything else to compete with them.

F1 is sophisticate & high tech. The construction of those race cars, the pit strategies, the fuel & tires strategies.....
I can just feel your contempt. And that's the problem. In the U.S. people want hot dogs and a simple game.

Well not really - there's a LOT more to NASCAR than a bunch of good ol' boys turning left all day. I don't care for it, but it's not 'unsophisticated'. Sure most people just go there to see people crash and drink beer, but a lot of fans know a lot about the different team strategies too.

F1 could do well in the U.S., but it would need a ton of marketing and P.R. to promote it, and they basically don't want to spend that kind of money.
Old 07-15-07, 09:00 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're comparing a motorsports event that has a single race in the US to one that has dozens, of course Nascar attandance is going to be greater than F1 in the US There are plenty of other things where the US stray's from the rest of the world... Soccer for example. Personally, I enjoy watching cars that handle like they're on rails rather then watching cars go in a circle for two to three hours, but those are just opinions and we're all entitled to our own.

Back to the topic at hand... Ecclestone is an idiot, F1 has already lost 2 GP's for next year, France and now US with rumors that even Silverstone might be canned.
Old 07-15-07, 05:45 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASCRAP has absolutely nothing for me. I guess I'll have to go to Montreal to see an F1 race in the future

The sound and handling of F1 cars is just thrilling. It really is the pinnacle of automotive engineering. Sad to see Indianapolis go......but it was kind of inevitable. There was hardly any publicity in the US after the race.