Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does everyone buy the STI over the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 02:52 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I drive a lot, and I see many more EVO's than STI's here in SoCal.

Actually, there isn't a car that I DON'T see. The other day I was driving next to a McLaren F1 - first time I've ever seen one driving on the street.
Old 07-13-07, 02:56 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend crashed his evo and later got a MY06 STi

he prefers the STi. not for its performance, but its DD ability and balance. Plus its' got more airbags.
Old 07-13-07, 05:34 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd day 10 Sti's/Evo down here. I guess maybe because the Sti is a more practical car for a DD.
Old 07-13-07, 05:57 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol the STi is more pratical? i thought it was supposed to be the beast while the evo was the balanced one
Old 07-13-07, 10:00 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Evo 8 I bought it when I first came out.. few friends that had WRX and STI sold their car and drive Evo now...they like the Evo more because of the modding potential.. I just drove it again yesterday I still like it after own it for 4.5 years.. car had 0 problems its been great for past 4.5 year and I'm sad to see it go
Old 07-14-07, 01:12 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The only thing I hate about the EVO is the interior design is pathetic compared to the STI. I would take an STI over and EVO unless its an EVO MR to take to the track.
Old 07-14-07, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The most practical reason for buying an STi over an Evo, besides Subaru's better experience in AWD, is the suspension. The Sti has a stiff but tolerable ride. The Evo will beat you to death on anything but glass-smooth roads, though the trade-off of that rock-hard suspension, of course, is better handling than the STi on dry roads.
Old 07-14-07, 07:00 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I'd take an Evo any day over the STi.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of base WRXs around, and some of them may have bodykits, hood scoops, etc. that make them look like STis.
Old 07-14-07, 09:02 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
my friend crashed his evo and later got a MY06 STi

he prefers the STi. not for its performance, but its DD ability and balance. Plus its' got more airbags.
+1 My friend did the same thing. Someone totaled his Evo MR then he bought an STi right after that. Like many in Cali. have said, I also see many more Evos than STis. However, and this is huge, I see FAR more WRXs than Evos. I have seen as few WRXs, as mentioned before, running around with STi like aesthetics, most notably the hood and wing.
Old 07-14-07, 12:46 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Mitsubishi hasn't produced anything really good since the Zero. And even that didn't have much resale value.
Old 07-14-07, 01:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

EVO isnt legal here in canada (at least not without jumping thru some legal barriers)as its bumper doesnt pass the 5mph crash test
so that explains why we have plenty of STIs and almost no EVOs in canada

but of course US is another story
maybe it is the crazy maintenance schedule?
Old 07-14-07, 01:18 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Here we have a large amount of STi's but we also have alot of EVOs, just not as much. One of the STi broke it down like this to me, STi;s are more expensive to mod but break less where as the EVO is cheaper to mod but breaks more often. He didn't mean the EVO breaks alot but just more often them the STi. Although the fastest AWD in my area is a 800+AWHP EVO.
Old 07-14-07, 07:21 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

In Diego I see equal amounts of each. For what they lack in stylish design they make up for with bolt on aero body parts, 1996 called and Pontiac wants their body parts back.
Old 07-14-07, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
+1 I see FAR more WRXs than Evos. I have seen as few WRXs, as mentioned before, running around with STi like aesthetics, most notably the hood and wing.
There is a reason for this. The WRX is cheaper than either the STi and Evo, is more readily available, is discounted more at deal time, is offered in two body styles....sedan and wagon, has a more civilized ride than the STi and a MUCH more civilized ride than the Evo, and yet, despite not having the hard-core power levels of the Evo and STi, has enough power above 3500 RPM or so to get out of its own way. It is a better deal, IMO, than either of the more expensive rivals.

I have yet to see any STi-disguised WRX's (or if I did, didn't notice it) , but since you mention it, I'll keep an eye out for them. The WRX is immensely popular in this area.....you literally see them everywhere.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-07 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 11:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

First off, do you know how to differentiate a wrx from any sti? There are a ton of wrx because of their low price points. Because of this, the wrx/sti to evo population is quite in favor of subarus ( evos do not come in a detuned wrx type of pakckage). Secondly, evos are very hard edged more racer oriented vehicles than stis, thus more people will probably flock to their better interiors, comfort levels, and daily driver friendly boxer 2.5 liter configurations. Lastly, if this just purely based on observation, i think it varies drastically depending on locality. Im sure the older rougher roads of ny might deter many from evos because of its ultra stiff suspension, while in cali (land of the boy racers), it might totally be reverse. I've never seen actual published figures for each of the carsw (wrx/sti/evo) anywhere....

Quick Reply: Why does everyone buy the STI over the EVO?