Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does everyone buy the STI over the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 12:40 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is a reason for this. The WRX is cheaper than either the STi and Evo, is more readily available, is discounted more at deal time, is offered in two body styles....sedan and wagon, has a more civilized ride than the STi and a MUCH more civilized ride than the Evo, and yet, despite not having the hard-core power levels of the Evo and STi, has enough power above 3500 RPM or so to get out of its own way. It is a better deal, IMO, than either of the more expensive rivals.

I have yet to see any STi-disguised WRX's (or if I did, didn't notice it) , but since you mention it, I'll keep an eye out for them. The WRX is immensely popular in this area.....you literally see them everywhere.
I agree with that assessment. The WRX is no doubt cheaper than either the Evo or STi, thus the reason I also seem so many younger people driving the WRX, whereas not so much with the STi (the Evo seems to be really mixed). The faux STis I see generally sport the hood or spoiler (or both) and sometimes the wheels. However, one quick look at the breaks and it is generally easy to see the STi wannabe from the real deal STi. I see it once in a while in my area but then again it's hard to drive 2 or 3 blocks without seeing or hearing an STi/WRX driving around.