Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes SL-Class Second Facelift Spy Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 09:10 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2009 Mercedes SL-class spotted

The next generation Mercedes SL-class was spied in testing in Europe earlier this year. A series of spy pictures, plus a new illustration of the car's exterior give us a good idea of what to expect.

Mercedes decided to let the current SL live for another couple of years before the updated model will reach the market. In order to change the looks, and keep good sales figures, the SL will get a major facelift next year. As can be seen from the photos, test cars have been sighted in various places of the world in cold weather testing in Scandinavia as well as on dusty roads in the warm spring of southern Europe.

The biggest change will be the CLS-style headlamps to complement the new bumper and grille. Camouflage is hiding the modified taillight design and LED enhancements. Another feature that will arrive with the facelift to the SL are air scarfs in the headrests, originally from the SLK.

Engines are likely to remain the same as in the current model, but rumors are indicating a turbocharged version of the 350 engine with 354 bhp may be added. The top of the line model will be the SL65 AMG with 612 bhp. More details on this vehicle are expected to arrive as the release draws near.

Last edited by GFerg; 05-25-07 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-25-07, 09:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A turbocharged 3.5L engine?

Please, down water-down the SL...
Old 05-25-07, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Saw this couple days ago, too sad to post it If it really looks like that ^^, they're messing it up big time
Old 05-25-07, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A turbocharged 3.5L engine?

Please, down water-down the SL...
SL320's, SL230's, etc. are nothing new in Europe. I doubt they'll make it over to the U.S.
Old 05-25-07, 12:16 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Saw this couple days ago, too sad to post it If it really looks like that ^^, they're messing it up big time
I agree. The current SL still is a great looking car.
Old 05-25-07, 01:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This disappointment will most likely be a good thing for Lexus as they will be bringing a new SC around the same time. And we can bet it will be stunning.

Old 05-25-07, 01:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That pic looks like a facelift only, I hope they will rework the vehicle and make it stunning.
Old 05-25-07, 01:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
That pic looks like a facelift only, I hope they will rework the vehicle and make it stunning.
Yeah, the article says it's just a major facelift, not a complete redesign.

I don't know why, the SL is one of the oldest (but still great) designs in production. It's time for a complete makeover.
Old 05-26-07, 08:12 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Yeah, the article says it's just a major facelift, not a complete redesign.

I don't know why, the SL is one of the oldest (but still great) designs in production. It's time for a complete makeover.
I don't think the SL needs a redesign. I think it looks just as good as it did when it came out 5 years ago. This facelift would definitely be a down turn though.

You also have to notice that barring the G-Class which has an evolution similar to a dinosaur, the SL has the longest time between redesigns of any Mercedes model line. The previous body style (R129) lasted 14 years from 1989 to 2003, and the R107 lasted an astounding 18 years! And to this day the R129 is still one of my favorite, classic and stately looking Mercedes.
Old 05-27-07, 06:12 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh Hell naw!! Please don't do this Mercedes!! The SL is one of the few MB's that I really like.. Do not butcher another great looking car and turn this SL into another Bangle war of the world's uglist car contest..
Old 05-27-07, 07:09 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

The front is a definite compared to the current model.
Old 05-27-07, 09:43 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto. The current model still looks great after 5 years and doesn't look dated.

Also, that artist rendition.... it seems he/she added a blue hue to the MB star emblem, sorta like how Lexus added a blue "glow" to the L emblem on the LS600h L
Old 05-27-07, 11:36 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i dont think its that bad
the roof line can be a bit more aggressive looking though
Old 05-27-07, 01:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Mercedes made the best designs between 99 and 04. Hard to improve on the branding style they had when they came out of the square box. They did it right the first time.
Old 07-14-07, 09:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts
Unhappy Mercedes SL-Class Second Facelift Spy Pics

I hope not !!

Mercedes SL Second Facelift Spy Pics

Text by Andreas Conradt
Copyright by AUTOMEDIA
July 13, 2007

Say good-bye to those headlights

Mercedes is preparing their SL sports-roadster once again before it’s going to be replaced by an all-new model in 2011. While it underwent a minor facelift last year, the modifications for this major overhaul seem to be quite radical and will include an all-new front with new bumper, air-intakes, grille and headlights, the latter reminding of those on the CLS four-door coupe.

Some speculate the car snapped here testing in Stuttgart would be a test mule for the entirely new successor of today’s SL, but that’s is very unlikely as test mules normally do not have thinly disguised tails as seen on this prototype. They’re usually either heavily disguised, or not at all. Instead, we reckon the taillights and the bumper of this facelifted model will be slightly re-designed as well, and that is actually the reason for the black tape on the SL’s rear end.

As Mercedes has always kept engines of the SL up to date, we do not expect much to change under the bonnet. Stuttgart will continue to offer the SL 350 (V6, 272 bhp), SL 500 (V8, 388 bhp) and SL 600 (V12, 517 bhp). The 500-bhp SL 55 AMG, however, will be replaced by the more powerful SL 63 AMG returning 525 bhp. The even hotter SL 65 AMG with no less than 612 bhp will remain on offer, too.
via worldcarfans

Quick Reply: Mercedes SL-Class Second Facelift Spy Pics