Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interest in hybrids down, diesels up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 01:59 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest in hybrids down, diesels up

This is good news, as far as I'm concerned. Bring on the diesels!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jd-power...dwindling.html

Despite increases in the price of gas in the last few months, it appears that fewer and fewer consumers are putting vehicles with hybrid powertrains on their shopping list. According to industry experts J.D. Power, consumers with interested in hybrids dropped from 57 percent in 2006 to 50 percent for the early summer months in '07, a significant figure for such a short period of time.

The study, which was conducted during May and June '06 and again in the same period of '07, found that, despite gas still hovering around $3.00 U.S. per gallon, consumer interest in hybrids has dropped.

The study did find that more and more consumers are putting diesel cars on their lists, however. In '06, just 12 percent of buyers were looking at diesels; now, nearly twice as many, 23 percent, have diesels on their shopping lists. Interestingly, the number of diesel cars on the new car market has dropped since then. The Volkswagen Jetta TDI, one of the biggest volume diesel cars in the U.S., didn't meet 2007 regulations. Volkswagen will be introducing a 50-state diesel car shortly. Jeep offered a diesel Liberty in '06; it didn't meet the '07 regulations, but a diesel Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes-Benz-developed engine was released in Spring '07.
Old 07-16-07, 02:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't mind seeing diesel-hybrids I was going to say "kill two birds with one stone" but that wouldn't be nice
Old 07-16-07, 02:14 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toyota needs to step up the mpg marketing even more now.
Old 07-16-07, 02:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think people are more interested in new technology in general. Just because interest in diesels are new and people want to learn more, doesn't mean that the hybrid market is "not hot" nor lack interest...
Old 07-16-07, 02:42 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Why does one technology have to be compared with the other? OK, so interest in diesels are up, but what does that have to do with interest in hybrids? As Toyota claims, hybrids are the future - whether they are petrol/electric, diesel/electric, or even hydrogen/electric. I just don't think the hybrid technology needs to constantly be scrutinized or be compared to other powertrain sources when they can all equally coexist.

Are diesels more fuel efficient that petrol engines? yes. So why can't they be used for hybrid technology as well? I don't understand why more people aren't talking about and pushing the idea of diesel hybrids. IMO, you would get the best of both worlds - excellent fuel efficiency & massive amounts of torque.
Old 07-16-07, 03:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Ferrari and Porsche have decided to go with hybrids instead of diesel for some of its future models to reduce CO2 emission though
Old 07-16-07, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I could see this coming 2-3 years ago....I said so back then, and many times since, that as better-quality and higher-technology diesels and diesel fuel became available, people would see that diesels give roughly the same mileage but with much less complexity and expense than hybrids...and now the newer diesels don't pollute either, like the older ones did. Even cleaner diesels are coming in the future as the engineers perfect urea-injection systems.
Old 07-16-07, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
As Toyota claims, hybrids are the future - whether they are petrol/electric, diesel/electric, or even hydrogen/electric.
Unfortunately, Toyota may not be correct....especially in the long run.

Are diesels more fuel efficient that petrol engines? yes. So why can't they be used for hybrid technology as well? I don't understand why more people aren't talking about and pushing the idea of diesel hybrids. IMO, you would get the best of both worlds - excellent fuel efficiency & massive amounts of torque.
Diesel-hybrids, though a good idea for super-high mileage, have some of the same problems that gas-hybrids go.......complexity, expense, repair difficulties, and environmental disposal of the battery packs. I'm not convinced that is the way to go.
Old 07-16-07, 07:08 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, hybrids could 1 day be GREAT, but were just not there yet. Im curious how the fully electric Tesla Roadster will drive. Ive driven every hybrid sedan on the market right now and they all have many flaws(too many) imo. We just need to get the negatives assoc. w/ hybrids low enough where the positives outweigh them and make them better choices.. whether it be increasing fuel economy, lowering cost, reducing lag, etc... + We will make fuel cells compact enough and then there are alternatives we havent even thought of yet. In the meantime, clean Diesels seem like the most attractive option for increasing fuel economy imo.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 07-16-07 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
toyota needs to step up the mpg marketing even more now.
Well they'll need marketing b.s. all right because when people see the '08 EPA numbers for a Prius (or are they out already?) it will become a tougher sell.
Old 07-16-07, 09:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well they'll need marketing b.s. all right because when people see the '08 EPA numbers for a Prius (or are they out already?) it will become a tougher sell.
That's okay. The rest of us can then say we beat the new EPA by a large margin lol.

I just had my first 59mpg tank and I'm currently hovering betwen 56 and 59mpg... and I'm not even on flat land!
Old 07-17-07, 06:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
people would see that diesels give roughly the same mileage but with much less complexity and expense than hybrids
And this being the case, I just don't see gas-hybrid vehicles as making any sense at all. Why would someone want to pay more for a hybrid that returns the same results as a less complex and lower weight diesel powerplant? I can see the TV commercials now... and they won't paint a very pretty picture for the hybrids.

I hope that Toyota is paying attention to this trend.
Old 07-17-07, 09:22 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Isuzu

Originally Posted by ff_
I am pretty sure that they are - that is why they bought in2 Isuzu, if I recollect correctly.

If diesels give the same mileage @ a lower cost & does not take up trunk space - I would probably go that route. However, it so cool that w/ a hybrid, 1 could roll around silently. Granted that sounds kinda sketch but still....

Old 07-17-07, 10:20 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by ff_
And this being the case, I just don't see gas-hybrid vehicles as making any sense at all. Why would someone want to pay more for a hybrid that returns the same results as a less complex and lower weight diesel powerplant? I can see the TV commercials now... and they won't paint a very pretty picture for the hybrids.

Its similar results in a much smaller package though
Old 07-17-07, 11:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Increased sales for hybrid vehicles in 2007 so far clash with the results of this survey.

Quick Reply: Interest in hybrids down, diesels up