Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Hyundai RWD Coupe gets 300hp to rival Nissan 350Z (Page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 06:56 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that is the case, it would probably have to be somewhat larger than the current Tiburon.
The Tiburon's underhood space is clearly too small for almost any V8 currently in production, although VW's ultra-compact W8 from the Passat and Phaeton MIGHT fit.
I agree. I think Hyundai would keep both. They're different markets. But I like the idea that someone is creating a Mustang fighter. Hardly anything in the RWD coupe segment is priced in this area. The Z is but that's a two seater or roadster. The Tiburon isn't priced in this segment.
The RX-8 could be considered in this segment but it's almost a different animal in a niche market. Rotary powered, sort of a coupe.
Honda, Toyota where are you in this game? When I graduate I hope to buy a RWD/AWD coupe priced in the upper 20k to middle 30k area. I'd like to stay in the Toyota family but nothing offered out there.
Old 08-13-07, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Over all I do think it looks like a Tiburon evolution. I like that all these new coupes are coming out again. I'd like to see some new coupes from every manufacturer.
Coupes have indeed been somewhat neglected in the American market in recent years, but for a reason: Many car-shoppers today want interior space efficiency and ease of entry/exit, and coupes generally do not do well in that department, especially in back seat space. They also have long doors that are difficult in narrow parking spaces. Most people who buy coupes today are either single, childless, or primarily want the slick styling of a coupe regardless of its disadvantages.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-13-07 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 02:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Hyundai Sports Coupe Interior Spied

Hyundai Sports Coupe Interior Spied

Once again, the new Hyundai sports coupe prototype is captured in Death Valley while undergoing hot weather testing. The Hyundai test personnel have been keeping the new coupe under wraps at all times to protect the new car from prying eyes. Normally, they keep a cover over the instrument panel, but luckily for our spy photographer they neglected to put the cover in place for a brief moment; long enough to get a good shot of the all new interior.

The new coupe has a very sleek and modern interior with the instrument panel nicely integrated into the center console. Large chrome-ringed dash gages are angled toward the driver. One can also see the automatic climate control air conditioning and the automatic transmission that can be manually shifted as well.

Set to replace Hyundai’s current Tiburon sports coupe, it is not yet known if Hyundai will keep the Tiburon name. Speculation leans towards a new name to emphasize an all-new model with little in common with the Tiburon. In addition to its overall larger size, such changes include moving away from the Tiburon's front-wheel-drive configuration to rear-wheel-drive. Also, a new range of engines including direct injection 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo and a big 3.8 liter V6 which is expected to be the standard engine in the all new mid-size Genesis saloon model. However, although unconfirmed, its is speculated that the top performance model will have the optional 4.6 liter V8 from the Genesis as well.

It is expected that the new coupe will be launched initially in Asia, with introduction in the US for the 2009 model year.

Source:Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
via worldcarfans
Old 09-26-07, 08:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Hyundai exec gives details on new RWD coupe

Hyundai exec gives details on new RWD coupe

Posted on Wednesday 26 September 2007

Most of the information on Hyundai’s new RWD coupe is based merely on speculation and a few spy shots, as any official details are incredibly hard to come by. We know that it will be based on a shortened version of the carmaker’s new RWD platform that will debut in the upcoming Genesis sedan. Developers will probably use Hyundai’s 3.8L V6, which develops 260hp and 348Nm of torque in current guises. However, there’s also talk of a smaller 2.0L turbocharged motor in the works.

We now have a few more clues from Hyundai’s U.K. Chief Tony Whitehorn, who spoke recently with BuinessCar. Whitehorn hinted that the new coupe will make its European debut at next year’s London Motor Show in July and will be more expensive than the Tiburon, which it’s replacing.

The car is said to draw some styling influences from the Velostar concept (pictured) but is only about 50-60% the same, says Whitehorn. There will also be no diesel or hybrid variants as well as a rumored V8 model
via motorauthority
Old 09-26-07, 11:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow I hope that is not the new Hyundia sports coupe, that vehicle looks horrible, it is like that they purposely tried to make it look odd and ugly. Why do all these car company's try to make something that looks different instead of just making it good looking?
Old 09-26-07, 12:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and they copy GTR's roof line and window shape!!!
and on this car, they look bad!
Old 09-26-07, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta;2942798
[IMG
http://www.motorauthority.com/images/Hyundai/Concepts/Veloster/2007_Hyundai_Veloster_Concept_MotorAuthority_011.jpg[/IMG]

via motorauthority
That interior looks like something out of typical mid-1950's American cars.
Old 09-26-07, 11:03 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that definitely does not look like the car in the spy shots.. no way they'd put a v-8 in something that ugly.. (i hope)
Old 09-26-07, 11:47 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha I thought the same thing about that mid-50's interior. A retro interior for an ugly car. It looked better in the spy shots all covered up...
Old 09-28-07, 10:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Spy Shots: Hyundai RWD Coupe gets 300hp to rival Nissan 350Z

Hyundai. Muscle car. Not words I'd expected in the same sentence...

Here in Europe at least, we've long associated Hyundais with cheap 'n' cheerful transport for the masses. But Hyundai-Kia are hellbent on changing their image around the world, and that's why the next-generation Coupe - caught here on test in America - is growing up.

And when we say growing up, we mean getting V8 power. The next-gen model is quite a different beast from today's compact, slick-looking, affordable two-door. How about 300bhp and 3.6 litres? Seriously.

Three hundred brake in a Hyundai ?!

Oh yes. It's rear-drive, too, sharing the platform from the upcoming Genesis saloon, as we reported in our last Hyundai Coupe scoop. The executive model gets the 300bhp 3.6-litre V8, so it will be available in the two-door as well.

The UK marketeers are currently 'working on the business plan', but sources close to the discussions made clear they're itching to bring the V8 bruiser to the UK. 'Imaginge the image change it would signal,' he said. Clearly, the numbers would be very low-volume, and the V8 Coupe would be priced to compete with cars like the Nissan 350Z at just under £30,000.

What about for people who can't afford V8 fuel bills?
Hyundai will offer a 2.0-litre turbo as well, which would be the big seller here naturally. The decision on whether to import the rear-drive Coupe will be taken this autumn; if it gets the go-ahead, expect a European launch at the 2008 London Motor Show.

We'll see the US market Hyundai Coupe trailed as a concept car at the New York show in November, with the production version expected at Detroit 2008.

Words: Tim Pollard
via carmagazine
Old 09-28-07, 10:19 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

3.6L V8? That's a small *** V8. Doesn't make sense, since their V6 will be bigger than their V8!

Anyways, it's funny how Hyundai is coming out with a RWD 350Z competitor before Honda or Toyota. This Korean company has come a long way.
Old 09-28-07, 11:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I would be very skeptical of this information. Hyundai's V6 engine is 3.6L. Their V8 engine is supposed to displace 4.6L. I find it VERY unlikely this is going to be a 3.6L V8, as all rumours have said the new Tiburon would have a 4 cyl turbo and a V6.
Old 09-28-07, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I would be very skeptical of this information. Hyundai's V6 engine is 3.6L. Their V8 engine is supposed to displace 4.6L. I find it VERY unlikely this is going to be a 3.6L V8, as all rumours have said the new Tiburon would have a 4 cyl turbo and a V6.
Wouldn't be unheard of. The late 80's/early 90's Ford Thunderbird had engines ranging from a 4-cylinder Turbo Coupe through V6's to a normally-aspirated V8. Granted, though, a Hyundai 4.6 V8 would have to wait for the new car....it is simply too big for the current-model Tiburon.
Old 09-28-07, 02:35 PM
LexFather

It will be a 300hp V-6. I am loving this car thus far.

Old 09-28-07, 05:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Has anyone ever owned a Hyundai and can comment on there vehicles.. Obviously were talking about night and day difference from the older cars but are they really reliable..

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: Hyundai RWD Coupe gets 300hp to rival Nissan 350Z (Page 3)