Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97 supra TT v. today's sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 02:16 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Supras are a timeless design and yes people pay the money for Supras regardless of age. Anyone who fusses about the price just doesn't know, it's pretty much the way it is. Me personally if I had 35K I would buy a BPU/APU Supra over say a loaded G35C, STI etc....... The Supra has survived because of the aftermarket support and the potential of the well designed and built engine. You can't go past 450rwhp on a G35/350Z bottom end while stock supra blocks can take double that. You don't even have to take the twins off to make decent power and good et's. But you either love or hate supras there's no inbetween.
Old 07-17-07, 02:51 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ST430
Btw - if i found a mint supra tt, i would easily trade my 400whp evo in heatbeat for it. It is now a very nostalgic car, one i should have never sold in the first place
it's ok, you'll be able to find another supra tt. just keep your eyes open.
Old 07-17-07, 07:35 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I seen in c&d that the Supra tt ran 0-60 in 4.8 sec. and the 1/4 in 13.4 and . g at .98. Why do you think I cry about I wish toyota kept that inline six.
Old 07-18-07, 11:55 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They still look damn good!
Old 07-18-07, 02:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any car modded/with enough money sunk into it can be a beast... they even have a chevy sb kit for the pontiac fiero

The thing about the MKIV's were that you DIDN'T need to take out a 2nd loan on the house to do it. Only problem it had was the initial cost of the buy-in. (for me that is )
Old 07-18-07, 05:22 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
ok, fine. 40k for a supra with 40,000 mi is way too much. Of course I would buy an F40 with 40k for 40k.
Well, it's all subjective.

Economic-wise, the supra tt doesn't depreciate much, so it is still a much smarter investment than buying a brand new sportscar around $40k
Old 07-18-07, 05:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I bought my last Supra in '97 for $28.5k. I've put 100k miles on it. I could sell it for what I paid for it still because it's a hardtop, not a flexy flier targa. Here's what the deal is with the Supra - pull one line from the turbo and install a boost cut controller and get 350 hp at the wheel. I know because I did. Less than $100 total mods for a 12 second car.

FYI, the first test Car and Driver did with the red hardtop netted a 13.1 quartermile at 109 mph, 120 ft from 60 - 0, 0.98g on the skidpad. Toyota made a poster of it. I still have it.

It lost consistently to the FD-3 RX-7 and NSX for handling. It never finished behind any other Japanese sports car in any comparo I read.
Old 07-18-07, 06:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely an amazing car for it's time. Even today, such performance numbers are impressive.
Old 07-18-07, 07:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not too many of these cars could hold their own against the Supra, and none of them could hold a candle to supras mod potential, besides maybe for the Mustang, which can be made a monster.
Old 07-18-07, 08:29 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

I got my first SupraTT 6 spd almost 13 years ago. Yes back in the day it was very very fast car. and it was every kids dream to have one. my car was pretty much stock except trust exhause and k&N cone filter. I don't recall I lose to anyone try to race me back in the days( i was young and stupid that's how i got in trouble and it end up trade in for a lexus I remember everyone into car in my school knows that car and it got so much attention in my junior or senior year student assciation contect me to take pic of my car and it was a year book that year..

i have both s2000 and Evo 8 outside of my house now, both car will out handle and more fun to drive than my old supras. But going straght and protential 1000+ hp build Supra is still the king.
Old 07-19-07, 10:19 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I'm not a Supra expert, but wasn't one of the reasons the Supra was killed was that it was getting too expensive for its level of performance? I know in 97 stock for stock the Corvette was definitely faster and around the same price, and it seemed like there were a few other cars that offered similar/better performance in the same price range. I could be wrong though
The Supra was faster, handled better, braked better, and had a better driving experience than even the C5. It outperformed its rivals in every category save sheer handling compared to the RX-7 (but it was very close). It had very high skidpad numbers and ran very well in the slalom. I dont know where this BS about the Supra not being able to handle came about (probably RX-7 owners), but it outperformed all of its rivals.
Old 07-19-07, 02:34 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bought my last Supra in '97 for $28.5k. I've put 100k miles on it. I could sell it for what I paid for it still because it's a hardtop, not a flexy flier targa. Here's what the deal is with the Supra - pull one line from the turbo and install a boost cut controller and get 350 hp at the wheel. I know because I did. Less than $100 total mods for a 12 second car.

FYI, the first test Car and Driver did with the red hardtop netted a 13.1 quartermile at 109 mph, 120 ft from 60 - 0, 0.98g on the skidpad. Toyota made a poster of it. I still have it.

It lost consistently to the FD-3 RX-7 and NSX for handling. It never finished behind any other Japanese sports car in any comparo I read.
60 in 4.6 sec and the 1/4 in 13.1. I think the ? should be what cars today can perform like the Supra.
Old 07-19-07, 05:55 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I think it could compete with sports cars of today and hold its own. They don't make Japanesse sports cars like they use to. I mean, 1995 they, the 300zx TT, 3000gt VR-4, RX-7, Supra TT, NSX, Eclipse GSX, even the MR-2 Turbo was in their until '95 I think. You don't have options like that today. Take a look at Supraforums and look around. You have guys selling C5 Z06s and E46 M3s and buying Supras. They have guys that have Porsche Turbos but still have to have a Supra next to it in their garage. I agree with Cherplex 110%, if I had enough cash to drop, you would find a Supra in my driveway over a 350z, s2000, sti, evo, 335i, or whatever else is in its pricerange.

Originally Posted by Bean
. I dont know where this BS about the Supra not being able to handle came about (probably RX-7 owners), but it outperformed all of its rivals.
Me being a former Fd RX-7 owner I can agree with this statement,lol. I dis-agree but just saying they probley started it.
Old 07-19-07, 07:24 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

it should be todays sports cars vs the supra. 350z? cant even beat the 300zx tt that came out 10 years earlier. i agree with DriftNsc3 100%.
Old 07-19-07, 07:27 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so no one considers a c5 corvette in the same class as the supra, outperforms the supra in every way, i love supra too btw so dont hate

Quick Reply: 97 supra TT v. today's sports car