Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97 supra TT v. today's sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 07:29 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Supras are a timeless design and yes people pay the money for Supras regardless of age. Anyone who fusses about the price just doesn't know, it's pretty much the way it is. Me personally if I had 35K I would buy a BPU/APU Supra over say a loaded G35C, STI etc....... The Supra has survived because of the aftermarket support and the potential of the well designed and built engine. You can't go past 450rwhp on a G35/350Z bottom end while stock supra blocks can take double that. You don't even have to take the twins off to make decent power and good et's. But you either love or hate supras there's no inbetween.
i agree with you 95% of the stuff but i would buy a c5 over a supra, even though its not goint to be worth the money it is a better car in the performance aspect
Old 07-19-07, 07:31 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wolverine
it should be todays sports cars vs the supra. 350z? cant even beat the 300zx tt that came out 10 years earlier. i agree with DriftNsc3 100%.
300zx TT is a nightmare, a dissaster wating to happen cant even compare to a supra
Old 07-19-07, 07:35 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
so no one considers a c5 corvette in the same class as the supra, outperforms the supra in every way, i love supra too btw so dont hate
I love the C5 vette but honestly, how many modified ones do you see with over 100k on them? Like I said, they have guys selling C5 ZO6s and buying another Supra because of the performence.
Old 07-19-07, 07:37 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

300zx TT is a nightmare, a dissaster wating to happen cant even compare to a supra
300zx is a beast man. I know you have to drop the engine to change the turbos but I mean not to many cars can break 1000whp on STOCK fuel.
Old 07-19-07, 07:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I love the C5 vette but honestly, how many modified ones do you see with over 100k on them? Like I said, they have guys selling C5 ZO6s and buying another Supra because of the performence.
Plenty of C5s around here have at least 100k miles with some sort of modification. The LS-series engine blocks are some of the best engines around. As much as I sound like a supra-hater (which I'm not), I would take the LSx engine over the 2jz-gte any day of the week.

If i had $40k in hand right now to spend on whatever 'sports' car I want, my cash would land me a used NSX.
Old 07-19-07, 07:56 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Plenty of C5s around here have at least 100k miles with some sort of modification. The LS-series engine blocks are some of the best engines around. As much as I sound like a supra-hater (which I'm not), I would take the LSx engine over the 2jz-gte any day of the week.

If i had $40k in hand right now to spend on whatever 'sports' car I want, my cash would land me a used NSX.
I love the LSX engines as much as the next guy, honestly they are extrem;y easy to mod, but I ment heavily modded, as in Forced Induction. I don't know of a car that has as many high powered cars over 100k as a Supra on avg. Like I said, i'm talking more then just intake or exhaust here.
Old 07-19-07, 07:58 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i was saying that the 350z cant beat the 300zx........................................... and the supra beats the 300zx...............................so supra>300zx>350z is what i was saying...................mmmmmmmmmmmmkay?
Old 07-19-07, 08:04 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

wake up my friend ls1 that is the only thing you need to know it has dominated in the power aspect, they are in the 6s now. making well over 1500rwhp. There are plenty ls1 engines making over 400rwhp on stock buttom end.
Old 07-19-07, 08:06 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wolverine
i was saying that the 350z cant beat the 300zx........................................... and the supra beats the 300zx...............................so supra>300zx>350z is what i was saying...................mmmmmmmmmmmmkay?
just becuase its faster it dosent mean its better, just because a c4 corvette is faster then a supra it dont mean its better. i much rather work on a 350z then a 300zx(heavy, slow and hard to work on)
Old 07-19-07, 08:11 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

I love the LSX engines as much as the next guy, honestly they are extrem;y easy to mod, but I ment heavily modded, as in Forced Induction. I don't know of a car that has as many high powered cars over 100k as a Supra on avg. Like I said, i'm talking more then just intake or exhaust here.
my best friend has a 9sec 99 z28 with stock crank, forged rods and pistons, stock cubic inch, stock ported heads, th400 with 9", on motor car runs low 11s and on the bottle its a 9.7@139mph car, it has been toghether for 4.5 years now with no rebuilds, has made over 100 passes at the track total and plenty on the street.It dosent have 100k miles on it but trust me it has seen plenty of abuse in its 8 years of life. the milage in the video is not real milage the speedo has been disconected for the past 2 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5e9iB07aI
Old 07-19-07, 08:18 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

You have some good points DriftN. I think the "typical" C5 and Supra owners differ quite a bit too with the C5 owner being older and generally babying their cars whereas the Supra owner is younger and driving it accordingly. Of course these are pretty general statements and don't apply to everyone but I think they're fairly accurate. Also, mods for the C5 tend to more along the lines of a cam, CAI, exhaust, heads, long tube headers, cutouts, etc. moreso than a supercharger or turbo setups. Again, in general. But whatever the case both cars are very nice and very respectable in their own right. I agree that for all-out insane hp #s you'd be hard-pressed to find another car like the Supra. That is a big part of the cult following it has.
I happen to like the styling of the Vette better but have a lot of respect for the Supra's reputation. In my modded Twin Turbo Stealth's prime the Supra was the only car that embarrased me... ...repeatedly. ha ha ha
Old 07-19-07, 08:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You'd be surprise at how many FI LSx's are out there that are daily drivers

The Supra can pass off as 'highly modded' because it came with twin turbos from the factory Just do a few mods and most people would consider their Supra "highly modded." Of course a turbo'ed car from the factory is going to make some quick and easy power. Toyota beefed up the engine to handle FI in the long run. The LSx came NA from the factory, yet FI'ing it produce tremendous results. There are probably as many, if not more 500whp vette/camaro/etc as there are 500whp supra
Old 07-19-07, 08:33 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS wanted
You have some good points DriftN. I think the "typical" C5 and Supra owners differ quite a bit too with the C5 owner being older and generally babying their cars whereas the Supra owner is younger and driving it accordingly. Of course these are pretty general statements and don't apply to everyone but I think they're fairly accurate. Also, mods for the C5 tend to more along the lines of a cam, CAI, exhaust, heads, long tube headers, cutouts, etc. moreso than a supercharger or turbo setups. Again, in general. But whatever the case both cars are very nice and very respectable in their own right. I agree that for all-out insane hp #s you'd be hard-pressed to find another car like the Supra. That is a big part of the cult following it has.
I happen to like the styling of the Vette better but have a lot of respect for the Supra's reputation. In my modded Twin Turbo Stealth's prime the Supra was the only car that embarrased me... ...repeatedly. ha ha ha
i agree with you on everything you said beside supra making big power, while supra does make huge amounts of power, i respect the engine no doubt about it, but the vetter puts it to the ground and its easier to drive. Most people with 400rwhp with c5s are knocking down high 10s at the track while most people with supras are BPU and are struggling to brake into 12s
Old 07-19-07, 08:34 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
You'd be surprise at how many FI LSx's are out there that are daily drivers

The Supra can pass off as 'highly modded' because it came with twin turbos from the factory Just do a few mods and most people would consider their Supra "highly modded." Of course a turbo'ed car from the factory is going to make some quick and easy power. Toyota beefed up the engine to handle FI in the long run. The LSx came NA from the factory, yet FI'ing it produce tremendous results. There are probably as many, if not more 500whp vette/camaro/etc as there are 500whp supra
well said
Old 07-20-07, 06:32 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

my best friend has a 9sec 99 z28 with stock crank, forged rods and pistons, stock cubic inch, stock ported heads, th400 with 9", on motor car runs low 11s and on the bottle its a 9.7@139mph car, it has been toghether for 4.5 years now with no rebuilds, has made over 100 passes at the track total and plenty on the street.It dosent have 100k miles on it but trust me it has seen plenty of abuse in its 8 years of life. the milage in the video is not real milage the speedo has been disconected for the past 2 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5e9iB07aI
When it goes over 100k, 115k, 130k etc miles w/out a rebuild, let me know

Quick Reply: 97 supra TT v. today's sports car