Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97 supra TT v. today's sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 06:34 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
wake up my friend ls1 that is the only thing you need to know it has dominated in the power aspect, they are in the 6s now. making well over 1500rwhp. There are plenty ls1 engines making over 400rwhp on stock buttom end.
Your preaching to the choir my friend. I know all about them, which is why i'm in the middle of getting one now('00 Z28). I'll make a thread when I get it.
Old 07-20-07, 06:41 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
When it goes over 100k, 115k, 130k etc miles w/out a rebuild, let me know
i can make plenty examples with 130k miles on stock buttom end, all motor cars that are still running 11s without a problem
Old 07-20-07, 06:46 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS wanted
You have some good points DriftN. I think the "typical" C5 and Supra owners differ quite a bit too with the C5 owner being older and generally babying their cars whereas the Supra owner is younger and driving it accordingly. Of course these are pretty general statements and don't apply to everyone but I think they're fairly accurate. Also, mods for the C5 tend to more along the lines of a cam, CAI, exhaust, heads, long tube headers, cutouts, etc. moreso than a supercharger or turbo setups. Again, in general. But whatever the case both cars are very nice and very respectable in their own right. I agree that for all-out insane hp #s you'd be hard-pressed to find another car like the Supra. That is a big part of the cult following it has.
I happen to like the styling of the Vette better but have a lot of respect for the Supra's reputation. In my modded Twin Turbo Stealth's prime the Supra was the only car that embarrased me... ...repeatedly. ha ha ha
I do relize that more people go with a nice N/A set up on the C5s but once you start talking about a built engine, I consider that heavily modded, am I wrong?
I like the styling of both as well but if given the chance at either one, i'd have to go with the Supra.
Anyone know if any mag did a test between the MKIV Supra and the C5? I mean they both were out in '97 and '98.
Originally Posted by Gsteg
You'd be surprise at how many FI LSx's are out there that are daily drivers

The Supra can pass off as 'highly modded' because it came with twin turbos from the factory Just do a few mods and most people would consider their Supra "highly modded." Of course a turbo'ed car from the factory is going to make some quick and easy power. Toyota beefed up the engine to handle FI in the long run. The LSx came NA from the factory, yet FI'ing it produce tremendous results. There are probably as many, if not more 500whp vette/camaro/etc as there are 500whp supra
I know they have a good amount of of FI LSX's out there but I don't think the numbers add up. Honestly, you might have more Highly modded LSX then Supras but the small percent of Supras that are on the streets compared to the large amount of LSX cars(Vettes, Camaros, Trans Ams, GTOs..even RX7s) tells me that on avg. you have more highly modded Supras then LS1 cars. That sentence may not make any sense but I think you can get the point,lol.
Old 07-20-07, 06:51 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

i can make plenty examples with 130k miles on stock buttom end, all motor cars that are still running 11s without a problem
If thats true, and your not talking about just 8,9,or 10 examples then i'm wrong. But it would have to be alot of cars to add up to the percent of the Supra.
Old 07-20-07, 07:29 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I do relize that more people go with a nice N/A set up on the C5s but once you start talking about a built engine, I consider that heavily modded, am I wrong?
I like the styling of both as well but if given the chance at either one, i'd have to go with the Supra.
Anyone know if any mag did a test between the MKIV Supra and the C5? I mean they both were out in '97 and '98.

I know they have a good amount of of FI LSX's out there but I don't think the numbers add up. Honestly, you might have more Highly modded LSX then Supras but the small percent of Supras that are on the streets compared to the large amount of LSX cars(Vettes, Camaros, Trans Ams, GTOs..even RX7s) tells me that on avg. you have more highly modded Supras then LS1 cars. That sentence may not make any sense but I think you can get the point,lol.
theres nothing to test a c5 will walk all over supra in every aspect of the game, considering both cars are in stock form. Stopping, handling, acceleration.
Theres plenty 700+ rwhp lsxs out there(more then supras i can guarantee you that), just visit forced induction and nitrous tech on ls1tech
Old 07-20-07, 09:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

wake up my friend ls1 that is the only thing you need to know it has dominated in the power aspect, they are in the 6s now. making well over 1500rwhp. There are plenty ls1 engines making over 400rwhp on stock buttom end.
FYI, 2JZ-GTE powered cars are also well into the 6s, easily making over 1400HP. I heard about someone doing a 2JZ-GTE build that wanted to get 1800HP out of the engine. The 2JZ can also handle way more than 400HP on the stock block.
Old 07-20-07, 12:20 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
FYI, 2JZ-GTE powered cars are also well into the 6s, easily making over 1400HP. I heard about someone doing a 2JZ-GTE build that wanted to get 1800HP out of the engine. The 2JZ can also handle way more than 400HP on the stock block.
how does the car get traction? that's the ultimate weakness for the supra. WOTM supra gets 1325rwhp on ryan woo's supra, and that's a while ago.

also, LSx engines are incredibly easy to gain power and incredibly reliable too. cams, displacement, and airflow mods can make other engines look puny and torqueless, not to mention when they are FIed.

Prodive used a LT1 engine during experiment stages to test body integrity of the Mclaren F1. Many high performance european sportscar/exotics also use LSx series engine as powerplant. Those cheavy small-blocks should not be taken lightly.
Old 07-20-07, 12:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ElitistK
how does the car get traction? that's the ultimate weakness for the supra. WOTM supra gets 1325rwhp on ryan woo's supra, and that's a while ago.

also, LSx engines are incredibly easy to gain power and incredibly reliable too. cams, displacement, and airflow mods can make other engines look puny and torqueless, not to mention when they are FIed.

Prodive used a LT1 engine during experiment stages to test body integrity of the Mclaren F1. Many high performance european sportscar/exotics also use LSx series engine as powerplant. Those cheavy small-blocks should not be taken lightly.
Agreed, but the JZ should also not be taken lightly. Both the JZ and LSx engines are juggernauts.

Most of the 1000+ HP Supras are drag cars, just like most of the 1000+ HP LSx powered cars are also drag machines.
Old 07-20-07, 12:58 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Even though I think the Supra is overrated, I want to see what all the hype is about. If anybody is in or near the Boston area and wants to give me a ride in their Supra or let me take it for a spin, I'll return the favor and let them take my 2006 Corvette out for a ride
Old 07-20-07, 02:06 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

2jz can beraly handle 2 passes on those kind of power levels period. those engines get swaped in between passes. I have seen MSP swap 3 engines in their solara in one day last year at MIR.
1900hp http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...aro/index.html
and yet 2jz can handle 500 hp very comfortably on the stock block after that its just a matter of time. You can pick up a 8sec iron block complete for 4gs at your door step.

Last edited by MDSC; 07-20-07 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 02:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so no one considers a c5 corvette in the same class as the supra, outperforms the supra in every way, i love supra too btw so dont hate
Not really. Z06? Yeah. Regular C5? No. They were slower and didnt brake or handle as well. C5s got by with big big tires and felt clumsy in comparison to the Supra.

Not hating, just stating the facts. I've driven both stock and I know what was more fun
Old 07-20-07, 02:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2jzs are in the 6s now too (a lot of them actually) making similar if not greater power levels than that. Marko dynoed 1520whp on his a couple years ago through a TH350/400 and he drove that thing around on the street! There's no telling how much power Titan's various cars make. BoostLogic has a streetable supra making over 1400whp.

There are also plenty of Supras making over 400whp with an exhaust and the boost turned up.

You vette guys are crazy lol. I love C5s man, but I'm not going to lie to myself about them. stock vs stock and mild mod vs mild mod, the Supra walks all OVER the C5, except in price. When you start doing bigger turbo(s); the Supra wins hands down because you dont have to build the motor just to make 500whp. Building a V8 costs just as much as building a Supra motor for similar power levels. Later on, when V8 blocks crack from too much power, the 2jz keeps on chuggin and the V8 owner has to drop $10k on an aftermarket block. There IS NO aftermarket block for the 2jz, they are using STOCK BLOCKS to run these times, you can't say that about the domestic V8 motors... the stock blocks wont handle the power

There are some jerk owners out there that make asses out of themselves. But those of you that think Supras cant get traction havent been around very long. C5s are NO EASIER to launch at higher hp levels than a Supra on MT. When Supras run autos and are set up correctly; they can turn times JUST AS good. The evidence is out there free of charge on various forums. Timeslips, dyno numbers, etc. I urge you to check it out I know most of you dont like them because of a lot of the owners, it really is an amazing car.

You can pick up a 8sec iron block complete for 4gs at your door step.
A lie and a myth all wrapped up together. Nice!

Last edited by Bean; 07-20-07 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 03:00 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2jz can beraly handle 2 passes on those kind of power levels period. those engines get swaped in between passes. I have seen MSP swap 3 engines in their solara in one day last year at MIR.
and yet 2jz can handle 500 hp very comfortably on the stock block after that its just a matter of time. You can pick up a 8sec iron block complete for 4gs at your door step.
gte stock bottom engine can handle 1000rwhp comfortably. I know people with APU supra tt's that run around 700 rwhp as a daily driver without even porting the heads. in fact, even the ge-t guys can hit 700rwhp with just head gasket, rods and pistons (to lower static compression).

8 second iron block complete for $4k? try at least $10k.

i also driven a c5 and sat in a z06 before, c5 has nothing on the supra tt.

Last edited by ElitistK; 07-20-07 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 06:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

8 sec iron block V8 for $4K? Show me some proof.

And I can show you links all day long too. Here is a 980 WHP stock block Supra http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...pra/index.html

You're incorrect about the whole 2 pass thing. Perhaps some of the tuners and crews out there only run two passes before swapping out the engine, but the engine is certainly capable of more. 2JZ engines are no longer produced, and you can't get them in a crate like you can an LSx engine. Thus 2JZ engines don't grow on trees, and most tuners don't have the luxury of swapping 3 different 2JZs per day.

Here is another Supra, 1230 WHP, with a stock block AND it's streetable. It can run at 1200HP all day long. http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2004/...er_story.shtml

Please don't tell me the 2JZ can't handle those power levels period for more than 2 or 3 passes. If guys on the street are running Supras at 1200 WHP, I'm pretty sure crews like Titan Motorsports, Bullish racing or Turbonetics run their 2JZ engines at 1400+ HP all day long no problem.

Here is a 1700 HP 2JZ dragster from Bullish racing: http://www.stewartcomponents.com/pho...album=7&page=1

Bullish Racing's championship winning 2JZ Toyota Solara runs at 1600HP.

We all know LSx engines are amazing, but so is the 2JZ. Let's also not forget that the LSx engines have a huge displacement advantage over the 2JZ, which in theory makes it easier for them to make big power.
Old 07-20-07, 08:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

We all know LSx engines are amazing, but so is the 2JZ. Let's also not forget that the LSx engines have a huge displacement advantage over the 2JZ, which in theory makes it easier for them to make big power.

He points, he shoots, he scoooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeessss!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 97 supra TT v. today's sports car