Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97 supra TT v. today's sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 12:48 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
wow, youre clueless
Looks like someone needs an education. Go hit up You Tube and the races results speak for themselves. Modded Supra's absolutley destroy all the above. I'm sure it sounds like I'm making it up, but until you've seen Hayabusas and Vipers getting blown away by a turbo inline 6 you'll understand why the car still keeps going up in value.
Old 07-23-07, 01:16 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toy4two
Looks like someone needs an education. Go hit up You Tube and the races results speak for themselves. Modded Supra's absolutley destroy all the above. I'm sure it sounds like I'm making it up, but until you've seen Hayabusas and Vipers getting blown away by a turbo inline 6 you'll understand why the car still keeps going up in value.
There are videos out there of minivans doing the 1/4 mile in the 10s.

Of course there are a few Supras that can beat Ferraris, Vipers, Hayabusas, etc. in the 1/4 mile. Nobody's arguing that. Your original post made it sound like all you need to do is throw a few hundred dollars at a Supra to make it faster than anything, and that's just not true
Old 07-23-07, 04:34 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

From the book, 100 Greatest Sports Cars

Toyota's new Supra bowed just as the market for high-buck Japanese sports cars collapsed. Sales dragged at 200-3000 per year, making it almost as rare as some European exotics. Low volume wasn't all Supra had in common with a Ferrari, though. Its Turbo model performed like one.

Originally an upgraded Celica sporty coupe, Supra became its own rear-drive model when Celica went front-wheel drive for 1986. Settled comfortably into the role of a sound 2+2 GT, that version lasted through 1992. For '93, Supra was reborn as a costlier, more powerful 2+2 coupe. Styling, done in Japan, was rounded and more aggressive, with nods to the Ferrari F40 in the grille opening and bodyside intakes. It even had a big basket-handle spoiler a $420 Turbo option said to provide 66lbs of downforce at 90 MPH.

Although still a sizable sports car, the new Supra was smaller than its predecessor, with 1.8 inches less wheelbase and 4.2 inches less body length. To save weight, Toyota ejected such items as dual exhaust tips, and even specified hollow-fiber carpeting. Supra rode a shortened, modified Lexus SC300 platform and shared the luxury coupe's engine. Here it had 220 HP in base form and 320 in the Turbo, which used one turbocharger for low-rpm boost, kicked in a second above 4500 RPM, and then ran both to make an impressive 106.8 HP per liter. The cabin was austere for the price and the rear seats were mere parcel bins, but everything else was in place: dual air bags, traction control, a removable aluminum roof panel.

A flick of the wrist shifted the Getrag six-speed, and the well-sorted suspension and magnificent ABS disc brakes kept the car composed even in the wildest maneuvers, with only a harsh bad-pavement ride dimming the picture. The Turbo begged comparison to the world's best. Car and Driver chose it over the Mazda RX-7, Nissan 300ZX Turbo, and Porsche 968. Road & Track in August '93 pit it against the $189,500 Ferrari 512TR and $99,000 Porsche 911 Turbo. The Toyota was a blink slower to 60 MPH, but gripper in corners, faster through the slalom, and stopped shorter from 60 MPH. "Suspend your preconceptions, forget the legends, erase the tallies of ancient race wins," said the editors, who called the Turbo Supra an "exotic" in all but one vital intangible. Call it " the builder's courage to express his work uncompromisingly," said R&T, which found indecision in Supra's styling. But if launching-and sustaining-an expensive Japanese sports car in a hostile market isn't courage, then what is?

The book was written in 1998. I believe it is safe to say that the Supra is greater than most of today's sports cars.

Last edited by 94lex83457; 07-23-07 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 05:26 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Thats only from supras producing high HP #'s. I have a c5 vette and in stock form BPU supra's struggle to get by, most stay at my back bumper. Stock VS stock, there is not much to talk about, the vette just starts walking away clean. Its no way a stock supra can out handle the vette, the vette is one of the best handling sports cars, the supra is a GT car. If anyone needs to test out there BPU supra, I'm always up for a run.
ehhhh?!?!? come again?
Old 07-24-07, 12:52 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
In stock configuration, the vette will out-handle the supra.
maybe a Z06 or a C6......
Old 07-24-07, 03:26 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

from modern racer.com

200ft skid pad:
Supra Turbo: .94
Corvette: .92

I know skid pad test aren't everything but, it paints a good picture; in addition to the fact that the Supra's handling was on par with a 911 Turbo. Not to mention the fact that the C5 came out 4 years later.

Last edited by 94lex83457; 07-24-07 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 06:02 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
From the book, 100 Greatest Sports Cars

Toyota's new Supra bowed just as the market for high-buck Japanese sports cars collapsed. Sales dragged at 200-3000 per year, making it almost as rare as some European exotics. Low volume wasn't all Supra had in common with a Ferrari, though. Its Turbo model performed like one.

Originally an upgraded Celica sporty coupe, Supra became its own rear-drive model when Celica went front-wheel drive for 1986. Settled comfortably into the role of a sound 2+2 GT, that version lasted through 1992. For '93, Supra was reborn as a costlier, more powerful 2+2 coupe. Styling, done in Japan, was rounded and more aggressive, with nods to the Ferrari F40 in the grille opening and bodyside intakes. It even had a big basket-handle spoiler a $420 Turbo option said to provide 66lbs of downforce at 90 MPH.

Although still a sizable sports car, the new Supra was smaller than its predecessor, with 1.8 inches less wheelbase and 4.2 inches less body length. To save weight, Toyota ejected such items as dual exhaust tips, and even specified hollow-fiber carpeting. Supra rode a shortened, modified Lexus SC300 platform and shared the luxury coupe's engine. Here it had 220 HP in base form and 320 in the Turbo, which used one turbocharger for low-rpm boost, kicked in a second above 4500 RPM, and then ran both to make an impressive 106.8 HP per liter. The cabin was austere for the price and the rear seats were mere parcel bins, but everything else was in place: dual air bags, traction control, a removable aluminum roof panel.

A flick of the wrist shifted the Getrag six-speed, and the well-sorted suspension and magnificent ABS disc brakes kept the car composed even in the wildest maneuvers, with only a harsh bad-pavement ride dimming the picture. The Turbo begged comparison to the world's best. Car and Driver chose it over the Mazda RX-7, Nissan 300ZX Turbo, and Porsche 968. Road & Track in August '93 pit it against the $189,500 Ferrari 512TR and $99,000 Porsche 911 Turbo. The Toyota was a blink slower to 60 MPH, but gripper in corners, faster through the slalom, and stopped shorter from 60 MPH. "Suspend your preconceptions, forget the legends, erase the tallies of ancient race wins," said the editors, who called the Turbo Supra an "exotic" in all but one vital intangible. Call it " the builder's courage to express his work uncompromisingly," said R&T, which found indecision in Supra's styling. But if launching-and sustaining-an expensive Japanese sports car in a hostile market isn't courage, then what is?

The book was written in 1998. I believe it is safe to say that the Supra is greater than most of today's sports cars.
who the **** is comparing LT1 corvette to a supra even though they are decently close. Straight from road&track
The fact that the Corvette runs so well at triple-digit speeds is a tribute to its high-tech pedigree. At the "Viva Velocity" (May '98) speedfest, the six-speed coupe ran to an impressive 173.9 mph, atomizing a low-flying bird in the process. At saner, civilian, speeds the Corvette, blasts 0-60 mph in a mere 4.8 seconds, and it can deliver a 13.2-second quarter mile at 109.3 mph.
Old 07-24-07, 06:05 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
from modern racer.com

200ft skid pad:
Supra Turbo: .94
Corvette: .92

I know skid pad test aren't everything but, it paints a good picture; in addition to the fact that the Supra's handling was on par with a 911 Turbo. Not to mention the fact that the C5 came out 4 years later.
who cares they were both in production in 97
c5 will outhandle the supra trust me theres no question about it, supra is a great car. And whats the the topic we are on again"97tt supra vs today sports cars?" so are we soposed to compare to c6? lets not embarass the supra too bad seriously.
Old 07-24-07, 07:39 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I think the point is that the Supra was a great car, but it was by no means the greatest car of all time. And in stock form, it was great, but not really deserving of the legendary status is has somehow attained

If anybody with a Supra would like to meet up and drive a 2006 Corvette, my offer still stands. I wouldn't mind trying out a Supra so if anybody that has one is near the Boston area, let me know
Old 07-24-07, 07:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I think the point is that the Supra was a great car, but it was by no means the greatest car of all time. And in stock form, it was great, but not really deserving of the legendary status is has somehow attained

If anybody with a Supra would like to meet up and drive a 2006 Corvette, my offer still stands. I wouldn't mind trying out a Supra so if anybody that has one is near the Boston area, let me know
I won't say the greatest car of all time but you got to give it credit though, the aftermarket and a lot of tuners really embraced this platform and made it a legend. I personally think it aged well too considering the mkiv body came out in 93.

Post on SupraForums I'm sure there are some people that will run you. I know a few locals that will too but I'm in MD.
Old 07-24-07, 08:07 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Why did this thread turn into a pissing contest? Really, you guys can talk crap all you want, but the fact is, the MKIV Supra was at least 10 years ahead of its time.
Regardless of what you 'vette fans claim, it has numbers that are as good as or better than the C5 which came out 4 years later. People who have any knowledge about advances in automotive technology will care that the C5 and the MKIV were two different generations of automobile and that the Supra can claim to be an equal or better machine is impressive. And Stock for Stock a normal C5 will NOT out handle a MKIV Supra. I for one don't trust you to to not question the opposite.
Old 07-24-07, 09:48 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lap times

Anyone run Supra TT at Limerock or Watkins Glen? What are your lap times?
Old 07-24-07, 03:20 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
I won't say the greatest car of all time but you got to give it credit though, the aftermarket and a lot of tuners really embraced this platform and made it a legend. I personally think it aged well too considering the mkiv body came out in 93.

Post on SupraForums I'm sure there are some people that will run you. I know a few locals that will too but I'm in MD.
i personally have respect for supras, 2jz mostly. NOthing special about a supra its the engine but i guess the body design help the engine get more attention from the aftermarket.
as far as supra forums and running people, over there bunch of great guys but they will only run me from a roll, you mention anything about running from a dig and they run away, if not on the forum but when they see the cars we drive up to meet them.
Old 07-24-07, 03:37 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally have respect for supras, 2jz mostly. NOthing special about a supra its the engine but i guess the body design help the engine get more attention from the aftermarket.
as far as supra forums and running people, over there bunch of great guys but they will only run me from a roll, you mention anything about running from a dig and they run away, if not on the forum but when they see the cars we drive up to meet them.
The fastest and the most well-known Supra are not powered by 2jz. Nothing will be able to brake as good as Supra, except for the Carrera GT and racecars. Handling in its weight class is unrivaled by anything. Not all Supra owners will run away from a dig race, in fact some of them will even run you on track. Everything about the Supra was way ahead of its time, even the interior design.
Old 07-25-07, 08:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

If you can find a local spot to do dig runs and I'm sure you'll get some runs. Outside of a track doing dig runs suck because it draws too much attention. There was a decent spot I used to go to with some Supra friends that did dig runs but word got out and it got too packed and PGCP shut it down.

Quick Reply: 97 supra TT v. today's sports car