Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

97 supra TT v. today's sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 08:53 AM
freddymoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 supra TT v. today's sports car

i've always love the supra back in the days....too bad they discontinued it and who knows when or if it's coming back...but here's my question:

does the late model(97-98 supra TT) have a chance against today's sports car such as 2007 350Z, G35C, mustang GT, 2007 335i, Evo IX, STi, s2k, TL-S...all stock.

a) in 1/4 mile
b) high speed 100+mph
c) around the track

discuss...thanks!
Old 07-17-07, 09:05 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

The Supra didn't even fare that well against some sports cars from its own time

I wouldn't call any of the cars on that list 'sports cars' except for the 350Z, S2000 and maybe Evo/STi

I'd bet that an Evo can beat it 0-60 and around a track, not sure at high speeds. The new 350Z would probably be close around a track, but it might lose. On a track the S2000 might fare decently depending on the track since its so much lighter, but I don't think it has the power for the 1/4 mile or at high speeds (I think)

The main appeal of a Supra is not how it performs stock, but the power you can make when you upgrade the boost. The engine is a monster. That said, I think it's a cool car, but it might be the most overrated car of all time
Old 07-17-07, 12:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog

I wouldn't call any of the cars on that list 'sports cars' except for the 350Z, S2000 and maybe Evo/STi

I'd bet that an Evo can beat it 0-60 and around a track, not sure at high speeds. The new 350Z would probably be close around a track, but it might lose. On a track the S2000 might fare decently depending on the track since its so much lighter, but I don't think it has the power for the 1/4 mile or at high speeds (I think)

The main appeal of a Supra is not how it performs stock, but the power you can make when you upgrade the boost. The engine is a monster. That said, I think it's a cool car, but it might be the most overrated car of all time

WHAT?!?!? Did you grow up in a parallel universe?
Old 07-17-07, 12:52 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I just confirmed with Donnie Darko, the Toyota Supra is a FWD vehicle in the other universe.

edit: Donnie Darko also said the supra did NOT have 4 channel ABS with 4-pot front/2-pot rear supercar brakes, front and rear double-wishbone suspension. He also heard that the Supra weighed more than 60,000 lbs and had a drag coefficient of 1.

Last edited by ElitistK; 07-17-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 01:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supra Supra, even though it is a tuner's favor, but it IS getting old...for the amount of money, I would get something different...
Old 07-17-07, 01:08 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I'm not a Supra expert, but wasn't one of the reasons the Supra was killed was that it was getting too expensive for its level of performance? I know in 97 stock for stock the Corvette was definitely faster and around the same price, and it seemed like there were a few other cars that offered similar/better performance in the same price range. I could be wrong though
Old 07-17-07, 01:16 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

I'm not a Supra expert, but wasn't one of the reasons the Supra was killed was that it was getting too expensive for its level of performance? I know in 97 stock for stock the Corvette was definitely faster and around the same price, and it seemed like there were a few other cars that offered similar/better performance in the same price range. I could be wrong though
Every import sportscar was killed in 98, some as early as 95. The mk4 design is timeless - everything about it is perfect. You can't find another car that can perform that well at its price level.
Old 07-17-07, 01:18 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I'm not sure which, if any of these cars stock were faster than the Supra back then but I think they were all pretty close:

Rx-7, 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth, Pontiac Trans Am/Camaro Z28, I think even the turbo DSMs (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon) were fairly fast and could be made to be as fast as a Supra pretty cheaply

I'm not saying the Supra was a bad car, but its stock performance wasn't what gave it the reputation it has today
Old 07-17-07, 01:20 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
I always loved the Supra, but it is dated now. I just don't know what some Supra owners are thinking when they list their car for sale @ $60,000.

Even $40,000 (usually these cars have 40,000 miles) is way too much money for a 10 year old car, no matter how great it is.
Any car? so you wouldn't spend $40k on a F40 with 40k miles?
Old 07-17-07, 01:20 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Now we are talking about a TT Supra...right? That car is pretty damn quick!
Old 07-17-07, 01:21 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure which, if any of these cars stock were faster than the Supra back then but I think they were all pretty close:

Rx-7, 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth, Pontiac Trans Am/Camaro Z28, I think even the turbo DSMs (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon) were fairly fast and could be made to be as fast as a Supra pretty cheaply

I'm not saying the Supra was a bad car, but its stock performance wasn't what gave it the reputation it has today
the cars that you have listed are no where near as reliable as a honda, let alone a toyota. also, did you know that bpu level for a supra tt is only around $500-700? from 280 rwhp to 410-450 rwhp in just $700 is very cheap to me.

Last edited by ElitistK; 07-17-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 01:37 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the cars that you have listed are no where near as reliable as a honda, let alone a toyota. also, did you know that bpu level for a supra tt is only around $500-700? from 280 rwhp to 410-450 rwhp in just $700 is very cheap to me.
very much agreed!
Old 07-17-07, 02:05 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

There is so much nonsense from very ill informed folks in this thread. I still have the original R&T, C&D, Autombile, and Mt comparos of the supra tt against the other cars of the time and it fared very well, especially in braking and 1/4 mile tests.

Also having owned a 93 TT (BPU' d' no less) as well as a RSP 97 TT (only 305 rwhp on Mustang dyno) and some of the aforementioned cars you queried (01 s2k and my present 06 evo rs), i can give your some first hand accounts.

S2K - powerwise it is no match for the supra, so all speed tests are out but it will hold its own in the handling department ith razorsharp reflexes. I would say depending on the layout (tight or fast), would determine a roadcourse winner.

Evo - 1/4 mile would probably be in the evos favor since it is awd and has a stock 2 step for launching, but just slighlty. Top speed would easily be in favor of the supra (if u disable the governor that is) because of the evos lower gearing and parasitic drivetrain loss due to awd. Road course wise, i think the evo would win with its combo of awd, agility, and lightweight prowness.

Now a supra modded is a whole different animal, and i think the only car that can / would keep ups is a z06 or a modded evo.
Old 07-17-07, 02:08 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Btw - if i found a mint supra tt, i would easily trade my 400whp evo in heatbeat for it. It is now a very nostalgic car, one i should have never sold in the first place
Old 07-17-07, 02:16 PM
LexFather

The Supra put all others on notice back in 1993. We are talking 0-60 in high 4s to low 5s and 13s in the 1/4 all day long with rock solid reliablity, sexy looks and a decent interior.

I don't recall it losing a comparison. It simply outmuscled the Japanese competition at the time and was compared to exotics b/c its performance was extraordinary.

Quick Reply: 97 supra TT v. today's sports car