Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

99 Acura TL versus 02 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 07:59 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 Acura TL versus 02 Nissan Maxima

I was thinking about trading my son's Acura TL for a 02 Maxima SE. I haven't never had a Maxima but reading about the 02 gets a lot of good reviews. The one I'm looking at has 58k blue with black leather heated seats. IT has 255 hp I drove it and was pretty fast. What you fellas think on this.
Old 07-17-07, 10:45 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I was thinking about trading my son's Acura TL for a 02 Maxima SE. I haven't never had a Maxima but reading about the 02 gets a lot of good reviews. The one I'm looking at has 58k blue with black leather heated seats. IT has 255 hp I drove it and was pretty fast. What you fellas think on this.
The 02-03 model years were probably the highest quality Maximas Nissan has put out to date. They cheapened the 04+ interiors and started using lower quality materials after that to save costs.

The '02s are pretty luxurious and offered most if not all of the same features as the Infiniti I35 at that time. It's a very reliable vehicle and I think it's a great choice for a pre-owned car.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking about selling the TL?
Old 07-17-07, 11:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Go for it. Two of my best friends have both cars. An 01 TL and a 03 Maxima SE. I drive them quite often as well. The TL definitely rides a lot smoother and the gas mileage is pretty good as well. The Maxima is obviously faster and a little on the sporty side. They are both excellent cars and basically have the same exact features. The TL definitely has a better built interior, but the 02-03 Maxima interior is very good as well. Not a squeak or rattle in there.

My friends TL had 2 tranny replacements under warranty. And my friends Maxima has to get his wheel bearings replaced. Seems to be a common problem for the 1995-2003 Maximas as my 97 Maxima had a bad wheel bearing as well (it occurred last year around 90K, and my buddy just got his fixed yesterday at around the same mileage).

In the end, I really look at them as identical cars, but from different manufacturers.

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Last edited by GFerg; 07-17-07 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 11:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My question is, wheres your son? AND what does he think?
Old 07-18-07, 05:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Maximas are great. My dad had one when he was alive.. The VQ engine in those cars are rock solid. Timing chain rather than a rubber belt is a plus with the Maximas.
Old 07-18-07, 06:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Hard choice as both are good cars.. I've read some tranny issues with the early TL's but you never see a Maxima broke down on the side of the road right... GL..
Old 07-18-07, 08:08 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My previous car was a 2002 Maxima SE. I loved the car (miss the heated steering wheel!!!) but it had it's issues.

The trans was replaced at 23k miles under warranty and the rotors warped in like 8 months after I got it (new).

The Potenza tires that come on the Maxima suck something awful too... if you need an all season tire, scrap them. This thing slid around more than my RWD V8 T-bird. The one option I didn't have was traction control and I'd spin the wheels all the time even in the rain unintentionally.

Also - there's a known issue with the Bose stereos. The left channel would cut out when playing CDs and work ok with the radio. Of course that means several trips to the dealer... one to have them "check" it (even though there's a TSB for it), then they order the radio (a refurb, often with scratches), and then you schedule an appt to have it swapped. I went through 3 stereos - and two of those times they damaged the dash... they must have been using screwdrivers as pry bars. This was from two different dealers too.

This was my first new car and I was kinda irked that I had to keep taking it back due to dealer negligence. I'm glad it was a lease and I turned it in with grinding brakes because I wasn't going to do the brakes a 2nd time in 3 yrs (they sucked that bad).

As for the TL, I heard about tranny issues too... but they had a big program to replace transmissions, even on cars out of factory warranty. So if the car had been purchased as a CPO they might have done the swap. I'd say if the trans has been taken care of it might be the way to go - I think an Acura dealer will treat you better too.

I considered a used TL also before I got the Maxima. I really liked the car, but it felt too much like a regular, plain Honda in the inside. I liked the interior of the Maxima better and the sportiness of it too. I think the Acura would have been a better choice in the long run though.

I purchased my '99 LS from a private party with 115k miles and 20k miles later I'm still happy with it.

You can check out maxima.org for more info on the issues I mentioned.
Old 07-18-07, 10:14 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I know you said maxima, why not the infiniti I30? How much cheaper would the max. be?
Better yet, why not the old m45

My first car was an 85 maxima
Old 07-18-07, 10:36 AM
LexFather

Maximas of that year are great cars. I just don't think there is enough reason to trade in a 99TL for it. Both cars are on par with one another in most areas. You get to keep the lil Acura badge with the TL.

Why are u thinking of trading?

Old 07-18-07, 12:20 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ex coworker got his TL tranny replaced TWICE. His 2nd gear keeps pooping out on him.
Old 07-18-07, 12:22 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Get it, good looks for 02 and 03 with the 3.5 motor!
Old 07-18-07, 03:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maxima is a lot faster than TL... I would choose Maxima over TL anyday between 99 TL and 02 Maxima...
Old 07-18-07, 06:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Maxima is a lot faster than TL... I would choose Maxima over TL anyday between 99 TL and 02 Maxima...
Old 07-18-07, 07:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maxima's got a solid beam rear axle - antiquated technology stolen from domestic minivans. Just that reason alone is enough for me to stay away from it.
Old 07-18-07, 11:33 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

As a previous owner of 3 Maximas (and currently an I30), I say go for it! I had a loaded '02 6-speed Max SE that I loved to pieces. I never had any issues other than regular maintenance with all of them. The only reason I sold my '02 was because of an offer I couldn't refuse - which led to me getting my GS.
I also REALLY miss that heated steering wheel!

Quick Reply: 99 Acura TL versus 02 Nissan Maxima