Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti out of the game?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 08:54 PM
is-fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Infiniti out of the game?

Does anyone know why Infiniti has nothing to compete with the BMW M3, Audi RS4, Mercedes C63 AMG, and of course the Lexus IS-F that will be available early next year?

I heard a rumor that Infiniti was working on a G50 that would have a 5.0L V8, but I don't know if this is true. A rumor is a long way from reality though, and I'm looking to get a new car early next year. It seems that Nissans up-scale nameplate should have something more than a rumor now. As a current G35 owner, I want more of everything with my new car. More power, tighther handling, etc. Infiniti needs a mid-size sedan with at least 400 hp for me to even consider getting another one.

Where am I wrong?
Old 07-17-07, 08:57 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Infiniti doesn't quite have the brand cachet to come up with their own performance division. Heck, Nissan wouldn't even give Infiniti the GT-R. Infiniti needs to work on refining their current lineup and adding a flagship; if they were to make a G50, it would be the most expensive car in their lineup.
Old 07-17-07, 09:52 PM
LexFather

Well you can't really expect them to compete in that segment as they don't even have a flaghship. As stated the brand still is in dire need of help and product development. They lost the majority of their executives when the Nisssan HQ moved to TN. Their efforts now are in the cute ute, EX 35 to try to help stabilize sales.
Upcoming rumors/products
-new 5.0 liter V-8
-Convert G37 maybe a TT varient
-cute ute EX35 coming in 2008

Now Infiniti dealers were PISSED when they found out the GT-R would be a Nissan. Similar to how Acura dealers were upset when the S2000 stayed a Honda. If you are in luck, my rumor is Infiniti will get a more luxurious, different styled version of the GT-R as their 2nd coupe and the new company flagship. Ghosen is not in the business to lose money and I can't see how one version of the GT-R would make any. He has to split the costs somewhere.

Outside of that, the brand has a very long way to go. If you look at who offers those sedans, they are all very very established.
BMW-M3
Audi-S4/RS 4
Benz-AMG C63/55 etc
Lexus-IS-F

It costs a LOT of money to develop these cars, to advertise and market them and to do the research on them.

Old 07-17-07, 09:54 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if a M50 AWD comes out next year you could say Lexus is
out of the game of building V8 powered AWD cars. This is something
which I have had a strong interest in. WTH, I'd even take an
AWD version of the GS450h.
Old 07-17-07, 10:30 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I think Infiniti doesn't quite have the brand cachet to come up with their own performance division. Heck, Nissan wouldn't even give Infiniti the GT-R. Infiniti needs to work on refining their current lineup and adding a flagship; if they were to make a G50, it would be the most expensive car in their lineup.
I think it was a mistake to keep the GT-R a "Nissan". Infiniti is their upscale division and an over 50K car has no business being branded a Nissan. Infiniti is now expanding globally and the GT-R would have really helped their image worldwide.
Old 07-17-07, 10:34 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well you can't really expect them to compete in that segment as they don't even have a flaghship. As stated the brand still is in dire need of help and product development. They lost the majority of their executives when the Nisssan HQ moved to TN. Their efforts now are in the cute ute, EX 35 to try to help stabilize sales.
Upcoming rumors/products
-new 5.0 liter V-8
-Convert G37 maybe a TT varient
-cute ute EX35 coming in 2008
Isn't Lexus putting out a "cute ute" below the RX as well? Seems to me as if most of the luxury brands are following the trend of putting out entry level SUVs these days.
Old 07-17-07, 10:38 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marshmallo
The M50 AWD will be a huge car for Infiniti, IMO. It will be great to see them offer AWD on both the V6 & V8 models, instead of the disturbing trend of only offering it on the V6. I'm sure Lexus will eventually offer an AWD V8 for the GS as well, but something tells me that won't happen until the next redesign.
Old 07-17-07, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Isn't Lexus putting out a "cute ute" below the RX as well? Seems to me as if most of the luxury brands are following the trend of putting out entry level SUVs these days.
No. Lexus in a press release stated that market is not seriously being reviewed and they pointed at X3 and RDX sales are proof they don't need to be there.

Old 07-18-07, 12:26 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No. Lexus in a press release stated that market is not seriously being reviewed and they pointed at X3 and RDX sales are proof they don't need to be there.
Hmm, really? This article states otherwise:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=lexus+cuv

Also, I distinctly remember reading another article which stated a new CUV was on the horizon for Lexus, to which you responded something like "no no no, this is not the direction I want Lexus going in".

I haven't found the thread for that one just yet, but I'll keep looking
Old 07-18-07, 12:44 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

This one is from March, but basically speculates the same thing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269010

Can you post the press release from Lexus which states they're not seriously considering a CUV under the RX? Thanks.
Old 07-18-07, 01:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Agreed. Due to a variety of reasons, Infiniti just is not able to sell an M3, IS-F, RS4 competitor, much less an S Class/LS competitor.

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Next year an M45 AWD comes out, not an M50. The rumoured M50 we won't know about for sure until around 2010.

We know for a fact the Infiniti EX is coming. The Lexus "cute ute" remains just a rumour for now. No guarantee that the rumoured Lexus is coming.
Old 07-18-07, 01:54 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Infiniti really doesn't need a M3, or AMG competitor right now. They already compete will with their G and M cars right now. I think the GT-R would have sold just as well under Infiniti as it will under Nissan, but I'm glad it will be sold under the Nissan name. Just like the S2000 is an always will be a Honda, as that is what it originally was decades ago. I even wouldn't have mind if the original NSX was realease as a Honda.

I think Infiniti should just concentrate on their G and M cars for now. Those compete very favorably among the competition.
Old 07-18-07, 05:40 AM
LexFather

Hmm, really? This article states otherwise:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=lexus+cuv

Also, I distinctly remember reading another article which stated a new CUV was on the horizon for Lexus, to which you responded something like "no no no, this is not the direction I want Lexus going in".

I haven't found the thread for that one just yet, but I'll keep looking
"GoAuto" is clueless. The JX has recieved 95% approval but it is GS based and will slot between the RX and GX as FX/X5/Cayenne competition.
This one is from March, but basically speculates the same thing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269010

Can you post the press release from Lexus which states they're not seriously considering a CUV under the RX? Thanks.
"autonews" is wrong. I've seen the product map the next few years. No cute-ute. It was thrown out on the table and then thrown in the garbage during Lexus future product meetings.

Here is where Lexus is going. Upmarket, not downmarket.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=bob+carter
Here is Infiniti dealers comments from last year
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=bob+carter

Old 07-18-07, 05:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is-fan
Does anyone know why Infiniti has nothing to compete with the BMW M3, Audi RS4, Mercedes C63 AMG, and of course the Lexus IS-F that will be available early next year?

I heard a rumor that Infiniti was working on a G50 that would have a 5.0L V8, but I don't know if this is true. A rumor is a long way from reality though, and I'm looking to get a new car early next year. It seems that Nissans up-scale nameplate should have something more than a rumor now. As a current G35 owner, I want more of everything with my new car. More power, tighther handling, etc. Infiniti needs a mid-size sedan with at least 400 hp for me to even consider getting another one.

Where am I wrong?
Infiniti will be back in the thick of things with a vengeance. I am sure there will be a car(s)/suv(s) within its stable that will sport the upcoming GTR-s powerplant/drivetrain. BMW is doing just that with the upcoming X6 with a rumored V10 from he m5/m6. Nissan has to share that gem of an engine from the GT-R with its luxury brand Infiniti.
Old 07-18-07, 05:51 AM
LexFather

Here is the article(s) I was referencing
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LatestNews
Not all products being studied are sure to be approved. Those that do get the green light may not appear in all markets, Lexus executives said here at the press introduction of the Lexus LS 600hL hybrid sedan.

For instance, the compact crossover might be a good fit for Europe but could be too downscale for the Lexus brand in America, Carter said.

"The compact-premium market has really taken off in Europe, but it hasn't yet in the U.S.," Carter said.
"We could test the waters. But it doesn't mean you are going to see us going downmarket. Going under our current (price) floor is not a good strategy."

(I am searching for another related article, can't find)

You can see Lexus does research like no other. Read this, it shows how much data they have and where they see the market going. They are intent on growing in the prestige class, 70k-Bugatti money!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2006041226052

Quick Reply: Infiniti out of the game?