Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

defending your car vs being a a**hole driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 08:19 PM
arpan176
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defending your car vs being a mean driver

whenever i get stuck behind them i keep at a good distance ... which means going slower and pissing people off. people will honk at me or whatever, some try to pass me (one lane one way), etc.

overall what do others do in whatever situation they are in?

Last edited by arpan176; 11-27-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 08:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just let the guy get in front of you then their bumper will take a majority of the hits. Or even better yet, let 2-3 cars get in front of you then follow them.
Old 07-18-07, 08:24 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say F them and just do what you do. In that kind of situation dont worry about people worry about your well being and your property.
Old 07-18-07, 08:36 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arpan176
i live in a area with alot of construction going on...which means alot of big trucks and the rocks that fly out of them. clear bra or not they will leave a mark if they hit the car. so whenever i get stuck behind them i keep at a good distance ... which means going slower and pissing people off. people will honk at me or whatever, some try to pass me (one lane one way), etc.

overall what do others do in whatever situation they are in? people here obviously care about their cars, and its one thing to annoy your family (spending to much time/money with the car), but how about on the road?
If your car is still relatively new and you don't have a clear bra. GET ONE! I made the mistake of not getting a clear bra and I am paying for it by having a torn up front end. This is after 8k miles with 30% HW.

In terms of driving close by a truck, I say F the people behind you.
Old 07-18-07, 08:48 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any way to take other, less construction clogged highways? If not just hang back and avoid the debris as best as you can. Not always easy.
Old 07-18-07, 09:16 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

they guy in the vette right behind you will be happy. but some girl in a saturn will just hate you more.

depending on the speed i'm >5 car lengths behind the car infront of me, and avoid cars to the side. especially those construction trucks where rocks actually come off sideways (true story). our major artery here (L.A.) is getting a make over too, and i already bent a rim from it, so yea, construction sucks out there. no one honks on the freeway here, just pull out a pistol.

but 8500 miles and only 1 pencil tip nick to the clear coat is not that bad IMO. the rock that came off the truck, well, one nick right side of front bumper to the black!
Old 07-18-07, 09:22 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

err if your on a 1lane road and the truck is going 25mph, no matter how close you are you still have to go 25 right? so keeping 3 car lengths vs 1 dont mean anything since you still have to follow... err 1 lane one way road = mute point.

If your on a 2 lane road, same thing... mute point...

really i dont understand why ppl in the back would be 'upset' they cant pass a truck either no matter how close they follow... I get what your saying, just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 07-18-07, 09:31 PM
RO87
Driver

^^ Thats the theory I use when in those situations.....but like others have said, its your property and you should take care of it because even if you get closer to the truck, YOU CAN'T GO ANY QUICKER THAN THE TRUCK.
Old 07-18-07, 10:41 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no joke, i had a guy pass me in the mountains on a one lane road becasue i was towing my snowmobiles..... jerk off lost control while doing this and slid off an icy road down a 150 foot emankment.

If he had not flipped me off when doing it i would have stopped.........
Old 07-19-07, 02:09 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I do the same thing living here in Vegas where almost 7500 people a month move to. With all the construction there is no chance on your freeway tour you won't encounter a truck hauling gravel or some paint unfriendly substance. I already have a chip in my fender with 2700 mi. but there is no hope for where I live. All I can say is that if I only have ten times the damage at 30K then I will be happy since I was able to mask it well with touch up paint.
Old 07-19-07, 02:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have every right to protect your car, but you should also be going at least the speed limit. If you are going the speed limit than unfortunately people really can't blame you for holding up traffic. However, while it is in your right, there is a little courtesy one should have toward their fellow drivers. If you find the other cars are getting upset with the way you are driving, simply pull over and let them pass. This will keep you happy as you wont have flying debris hitting your car, and you wont **** off other drivers. Road rage is a problem, so you never know when a pissed off driver will over take you and throw something at your car, or at worse shoot you. People get into fights and at worse killed over road rage, so the least amount you can **** other drivers off the safer you will be.
Old 07-19-07, 04:28 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

As others have said, just let them pass. Some people don't care if their car is pelted with rocks. Of course, the people behind you don't understand that there are rocks and that's why you are staying back. This happens to me from time to time when I'm riding a motorcycle. They can get upset if they want, but I'm not going to take a rock in the face so the people behind me can have the perception of going faster (we are, after all, still behind the truck).

Kilo - great story. I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. It was early morning on the way to work in the winter and the roads looked like they could be a little icy (learned to drive in snow/ice so I know what to watch for). Some guy behind me in a 300Z thought I was going to slow as we were entering a cloverleaf on a highway and passed. I have to admit that it was a bit amusing to watch him scrape the cement wall all the way around the turn with sparks flying off the side of his car.
Old 07-19-07, 05:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arpan176
i live in a area with alot of construction going on...which means alot of big trucks and the rocks that fly out of them. clear bra or not they will leave a mark if they hit the car. so whenever i get stuck behind them i keep at a good distance ... which means going slower and pissing people off. people will honk at me or whatever, some try to pass me (one lane one way), etc.

overall what do others do in whatever situation they are in? people here obviously care about their cars, and its one thing to annoy your family (spending to much time/money with the car), but how about on the road?
My rationale, is if they're not going to pay for the damages, much less show any concern over my safety, I do what's in my best interest. Slowing down when rocks are flying from the vehicle in front of you is just smart. If you can give them the space to pass, let them...but otherwise, its just impatience and ignorance at play with all the dramatics.
Old 07-19-07, 06:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

A buddy and I drove our vehicles up to a race in Leon in Guanajuato state in central Mexico back in late 2005. As we were driving up he went to pass some trucks carrying rocks and then suddenly swerved and pulled off. I quickly stopped and went to see what happened and when I went over to the passenger side his daughter had glass all over her and was cut in several areas. The passenger side window (he also has a 93 RX7) was completely blown out. Luckily in addition we were able to flag down a Federales (Mexican Federal Highway Patrol) who eventually radioed his buddies for his assistance and they eventually caught up with the convoy of trucks.
Old 07-19-07, 06:50 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

I will NEVER follow a dump truck.I don't care who is behind me also i will just turn the radio up to where i don't here there horns if needed and when they pass making hand gestures i just blow them a kiss that usally pisses them off even more. then if they continue to act foolish we can stop and get out and i can show them what 15 years of karate tought me. which usally leaves the dumb *** on the side off the road pleading for help. I just remind them before i leave u STARTED it. LOL

Quick Reply: defending your car vs being a a**hole driver