Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do you modify a high end car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 07:03 AM
Rickster31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno about you al, but even if I had a Lambo I'd modify it. Maybe not go crazy, but atleast some rims, exhaust, and maybe some other minor upgrades..

It's all about standing out and being unique.
Old 07-19-07, 07:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex5150
Why do you personally modify your car?

Whats the rationale?
There is no perfect car out on the road.

Everyone has compromised from aesthetics to options to price when it came to buying a car. Modifying it just helps aid in that compromise: what was not aesthetically pleasing, or what options were unavailable, or what one person couldn't afford in the first place, all can be remedied by modifications.

If you found your perfect car, then that's great. Otherwise, there are a lot of us that feel that most cars out there will not provide us the maximum value for our hard earned dollars. Some cars just need a little tweaking to make it "perfect."
Old 07-19-07, 07:53 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

I Tend To Get Bored!..*
Old 07-19-07, 07:56 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Like others have said, the IS is nowhere near a High-End car. Just look at how many Corvette owners mod every aspect of their cars and they will run you $50-75K. Now I might not mod a Ferrari or any other truly "High End" cars but I have no problem modding my IS (to a degree).

There's a reason why companies like Hennessy (Viper), Lingenfelter (Vette), Ruf (Porsche), Brabus - Lorinser - Carlsson - Kleemann (Mercedes), DINAN (BMW) are all in business. People enjoy modding cars and making them unique as well as increasing performance.
Old 07-19-07, 08:08 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the car is great in stock form. The only “mods” I would consider is changing the radio pre-sets.
Old 07-19-07, 08:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by br3akenout
stand out from the rest of the crowd especially with increasing numbers on the streets
wanna stand out?

everyone is putting 19's 20's etc...

so paint your car HOT PINK!
Old 07-19-07, 08:32 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

As stated above, the Lexus isn't a high end car, at least not here in So Cali. Many teenagers receive 40-50k cars without hesitation down here, so it can't really be high end if everyone and their moms have one.

100k+ cars is higher end, but still, you see so many SL500s, H1 Hummers, Porsche Turbos, it's also becoming a commonplace sight.

I've seen Ferrari's and Lambos fixed up with Carbon dressings, new exhausts, etc down here too... so that's not much of a rarity. Unless it's a Bugatti, Saleen S7,or an Enzo, it's not that "rare" anymore here in SoCali.

So basically, if you got the money, and you want to try and make something more unique, time to mod the exterior.
Old 07-19-07, 08:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the OP isn't asking "IS IT A HIGH END CAR?" (he believes it is...I feel that way too!).
Old 07-19-07, 09:47 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
the OP isn't asking "IS IT A HIGH END CAR?" (he believes it is...I feel that way too!).
This is a great forum! Really cool responses and lots of them.

Anyway, bagwell is right, maybe I should have titled the post a bit different. I guess the term high end car is relative. I also consider a Lexus to be high end.

Of course you can throw names like Porsche, Benz, Ferrari and Lambo in there. In that case, of course the Lexus wouldn't be in that class, but then again you could always throw in names like Daewoo, Kia, and Suzuki and the Lexus would indeed be considered high end.
Old 07-19-07, 09:47 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edwardll
:im with stupid: $35 - $40 is not HIGH END..
Off topic: I was thinking the same thing. IS is just an enty level luxury, not an high end.

The reason people mod their car is because they want something unique. That's y lots people willing to pay anything to make their car different from other.

Last edited by t.is350.h; 07-19-07 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 09:53 AM
illawgical
Driver

As it's been said before.. it's your money.. your car, so you should be able to do anything you want with it

same thing can be said about a house.. no matter what you buy... say a fixer-upper or a luxury million dollar home, you'll still do things to it to make it your own, otherwise it's just like any other house on the street.
Old 07-19-07, 09:54 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

basically to sum it up, the reason you mod is to set urself apart from others because when you mod it, your car is different from the everyday IS and there will rarely be a IS that has the same exact mods that you have.
Old 07-19-07, 10:15 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
basically to sum it up, the reason you mod is to set urself apart from others because when you mod it, your car is different from the everyday IS and there will rarely be a IS that has the same exact mods that you have.
Old 07-19-07, 10:22 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

NEED FOR SPEEED IN A LUXURY CAR!!!!!! but.. i dont consider this too much of a luxury car...
Old 07-19-07, 10:31 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know..........its all about being different and not getting lost in the parking lot i guess. Same reason people mod cheaper cars.....

Quick Reply: Why do you modify a high end car?