Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac prices new CTS (Edmunds, C&D, MT reviews pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 09:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The infotainment system is also new and includes a trick feature: a TiVo-like function that allows you to skip forward and backward through AM, FM, or XM radio. Don’t want to miss a song? Just hit the record button before exiting the car, and it will be waiting when you return (the system stores up to 60 minutes’ worth). The CTS has all the other up-to-date electronic goodies: an optional 10-speaker Bose 5.1 stereo with a 40-gig hard drive that stores music, an impressive-looking eight-inch touch-screen navigation system that rises from the dash when in use, and an auxiliary plug and a USB port to handle any music-storage device.
TiVo-like radio, 40GB HDD, aux input AND USB storage support. Count me in (as a geek)!!
Old 07-30-07, 10:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Excuses? I'm simply explaining something that most quasi car enthusiasts don't fully understand. They see a Cd rating on a spec sheet and think that it can be viewed as "lower is always better" and "lower is always less total drag". Neither is true.

What exactly are "quasi car enthusiasts"

I think you are making some unsupported assumptions here. Cd is one thing, but total drag is something else. We're not talking about F1 cars or race cars in this case, so yes, for the most part a lower Cd rating is better with regards to production cars. A lower Cd rating results in less wind noise at high speeds, and also improves fuel economy.
Old 07-30-07, 10:11 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
GM dealer spec sheet release with base weights and added weights of major options. I'll post it if I come across it again.

You do understand the difference between size (what I said) and weight (what YOU said), right?
The curb weight of the basic CTS is supposedly 3860 pounds. It's also a slightly larger vehicle than the GS. Makes sense to me.

Excuses? I'm simply explaining something that most quasi car enthusiasts don't fully understand. They see a Cd rating on a spec sheet and think that it can be viewed as "lower is always better" and "lower is always less total drag". Neither is true.

Your extreme bias against this car is evident in your wording. "trick" and "inflate"
How about it's a tall gear ratio that GM offers to keep highway cruising quieter and improve fuel mileage? GM has the exact same thing with a Vette - a car with a top speed just under 200 mph. Was that a trick too or should they have really used that extra gear to shorten the distances between all of the other ratios? I know that's what Lexus does, but that's not what is by default the correct choice. I often times wished my GS400 didn't cruise at 3k RPM - and had a taller final gear ratio. Did it top out in 5th gear? Hell if I know... why would I want to do such a thing in a GS (or CTS (non-V) anyway?)
I think its very pointless to try to argue with these people. They talk about perfromance yet they drive a Lexus ES or GS lets get real, they are great cars that perform well but they are no sports cars. They are sport sedans, no m5 or CTS-V.
I can understand if i was buying a car to drag race, or road race and had to decide between an fbody or heavier GTO i would pick the fbody, but if i wanted a car that performed awsome on the street, looked great and had good fit&finish i would pick the heavier GTO.
Old 07-30-07, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Well my final thoughts are I think this is a good evolutionary step for Caddy and the CTS. I think the big bold grill is "Cadillac" and the interior is just wow for the price, or almost any price quite frankly. There could be some improvements but no car is perfect.

Old 08-12-07, 09:17 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When is the cts-v coming out?
Old 08-12-07, 01:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Interior looks very nice, I actually prefer it over some of the Japanese and European competition which is a first for a GM vehicle but I will not to feel it and use the buttons and switches to see if it is really higher quality or just looks nice but still cheap hard low quality plastics. Some of the things I read on this car seemed to say the materials still felt cheap. Still a nice package though.