Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have 20k now!! What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 05:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
U've owned Lexus already.....i think u should try an European car. I know people will start bashing me on this, but for real, there are somethings & feelings that Japanese cars just can't give u.
Agreed. The been there done that sentiment rings true. Try something new. Lol. its like being hooked on an old girlfriend, you gotta let go buddy and move on. Your young have fun. I've been through many makes of vehicles and own a mix now. Having a differnt make of vehicle will not exclude you from Club Lexus. There are many members here including moderators who no longer own Lexus vehicles. I've been through so many different brands of cars its not funny. No brand loyalty on my part.. I just like variety. Your young, have fun. Lexus cars are great no doubt, but you now have an opportunity to try different brands.. Test drive these vehicles E.. Test drive the last gen M45, Mercedes E class, Audi A6/A4, VW Passat, and the E39 528/540I..

Since you seem hooked on a 5 series, the 540I is as close as you will get to owning an M5. The M sport package is derived from the M5. The 528 is not bad either. You will be suprised at the pick up with that car. When you flog it in sport mode, it feels as if it has a 300 hp. Here is an interesting read on the 1997 Import car of the year. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...40i/index.html

Acura TSX's are being offered for 18k now (in NYC). Great car as well
Old 07-20-07, 06:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bighitbike
I'm 17. But please don't let that influence your suggestions.
(playing the responsible "dad" role)

It should influence the decision. What do you plan to do next year when you graduate from high school? College? Does it make sense to own a car at that point? Does it make sense to have a $20K car sitting outside of your college dorm, while you live on mac-n-cheese (when you can afford it) and water?

Things change a LOT, financially, when you first leave home, and I would be very cautious about spending money that you have right now. It may not be as exciting, but if it makes sense to own a car, I would look at buying a $8000 (or less) Honda or Toyota, and stuff the rest of the cash into a fairly liquid investment.
Old 07-20-07, 07:01 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
(playing the responsible "dad" role)

It should influence the decision. What do you plan to do next year when you graduate from high school? College? Does it make sense to own a car at that point? Does it make sense to have a $20K car sitting outside of your college dorm, while you live on mac-n-cheese (when you can afford it) and water?

Things change a LOT, financially, when you first leave home, and I would be very cautious about spending money that you have right now. It may not be as exciting, but if it makes sense to own a car, I would look at buying a $8000 (or less) Honda or Toyota, and stuff the rest of the cash into a fairly liquid investment.
I didn't even see you were 17. Son(), I just made 20 and am just now looking into buying my own car. I say wait atleast another year(until your 18), that why you can drop a nice size down payment and on the same car but you can also start building credit which is kinda important in life unless you will always have a ton of cash chilling somewhere.
If you don't wanna think about it or take the advice, EVO, STI, or GS is my choice. If you could have a 2 door, pick up a Supra.
Old 07-20-07, 08:56 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Like other's have asked. Are you going to college?

That should influence your decision a lot. First off, you shouldn't spend every penny you have on a car if your off to college unless you have parents that are paying your way.

Also, you didn't specify if you want new or used.

A lot of people are suggesting high end used cars around 20K. I would probably advice against that. These cars are very expensive to maintain and repair and since you'd be buying used it wouldn't take long to start needing those repairs.

If you are going to college for 4 years and doing some commuting, I'd get a reliable new car with a warranty that you don't ever have to worry about.

My suggestions:

- Honda Civic
or
- Mazda 3

These are the best new cars under $20K.

Spend $16K and have it paid off and you have some money for rims or whatever.

Old 07-20-07, 08:57 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
If u can come up with $2K more(around $22K,) u can get a Mercedes Benz W210 E55 AMG.....at least a 2001 model in very good condition. 349 hp & 391 ft/lbs of torque!!! I almost pick one up 3 months ago with 75,000 miles on it..........very very clean.....but I could only come up with $15K
U've owned Lexus already.....i think u should try an European car. I know people will start bashing me on this, but for real, there are somethings & feelings that Japanese cars just can't give u.
Does a 17 year old need a 350 hp car? I've seen more teenagers get in trouble
with cars like this with speeding tickets, accidents, etc.

I submit that most 17 year olds don't have enough driving experience or
understanding of vehicle dynamics to really handle a car like this.

We had a Persian kid locally here get his new M3 out of shape and kill
himself and a passenger. Not cool.

Also, if you've only been driving for a year or so, can you really "get bored"
with a particular car? I've always been a car guy, but when I was that age
driving was about the experience itself and the freedom- it wasn't even about
the car (I had a Fiat that I bought with my own money - it was a fun car,
and I learned a lot about pride of ownership and responsibility).

One other note; while a used W210 or E39 would be fun and have great snob
appeal, I think realistically you'd want to set aside some monthly $ for
repairs and maintenance. This would be true of any used car, but I have
friends that are Mercedes & BMW technicians and I am aware of the issues
that can plague these cars as they get older. Head gaskets, window regulators, power steering racks, sunroof motors- none are particularly
cheap to replace.

If you're thinking about heading to college, having an MB or BMW might seem
cool... until a less fortunate student keys your car or an inexperienced driver
backs into the corner of your car, taking out the taillight and bumper.

Not too many 17 year olds can earn $20,000 cash, so the source of the
money may infuence your decision. If aunt rose said "Johnny, I have $20K
to buy you a car" I suppose you might as well use it. If it was a trust fund
kind of deal I suppose I would spend a portion of it and invest the rest to
fund the purchase of a home sometime in the future. I wish I could have
purchased my first home at 25 instead of 30!
Old 07-20-07, 09:17 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a E46, those can be had for $20k thesedays in decent condition, provided you're not looking for the hot-shot ZHP versions or anything newer than '04. Note, '01 models have the overassisted power steering rack that makes it as light as a Lexus, so I'd avoid those . Otherwise, these are pretty reliable once you get past the '99-'00 models.

The E39s are a good value too. Note that the 540i models with the V8s have radiator and cooling system issues that will more than likely pop up, so if you're on a tight budget and don't want to buy a new radiator and cooling hoses, the V8 ain't the one.

In either case, manuals will obviously be less troublesome than the automatics. Not that the automatics are bad or terrible, its just their usual lifespan is around 100k miles.

If you're looking new, get the Mazda3 or Civic. When I get the time, I'm going to do a full write up on these since I had a unique opportunity to compare the two. The Mazda3 is more fun and more appealing to young kids (it's too young for me), the civic is the better driving tool. The Mini cooper is a good choice too, but it's gotten pricey this year with the redesign.
Old 07-20-07, 09:26 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you still havent gotten back to us on whether you're going to college or not, but me entering my second year in college, let me just say this.

you're 17. your dad doesn't own an insurance company. any IS or WRX or EVO or any new car is going to raise your insurance like a ****. I have my 2000 RX and only want a new car. But I'm in college, and my poor car has gotten so many dings from all the blondes down here that can't park for shiz. There's no sense in getting a new car now. Like my dad told me, "you have your whole life to get a new car. wait til you get out of school and have the money to buy what you want instead of settling for something at a price of the money you have now."

dude, college is where u spend all your money. beleive me, buy something for like 10 like a civic and put a couple g's into it so that you like it, but save some money for your bank acct for college haha. i don't pay for my college b/c my dad does, but I pay for going out and food and getting smashed. it's expensive!

so i've decided to keep my rx until a)i have the money to lease a new LX570 or b)i graduate college and get a new car
Old 07-20-07, 09:31 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ST430
I would highly recommend you look at a used 03' - 04' Lancer Evolution. It meets all your requirements for your budget:

- 4 Door Sedan with sufficient interior space for others as well as good trunk space

- Japanese made quality with a highly regarded history and legacy in Japan

- Extremely moddable since it is turbocharged and has a plethora of aftermarket support (see www.evolutionm.net)

- Reliable since the CT9A platform and 4G63 engine have been around a number of years.

In 05', Mitsu introduced LSD, a slightly revised turbo, and other minor changes for more hp. 06' brought a slightly larger turbo and the use of Mivec (Mitsubishi variable intake cam timing) to the game and standard LSD. All in all, it is a great value stock or otherwise with AWD, turbo, rally-bred, etc., and would trounce other cars in this price range at the track.
03-04 Evo is not a bad choice I had my for 4.5 years zero issue they are about 20k or less for a used one.. here is old pic of mine evo with a after market front bumper

and here is my car with a group of guys that likes mods

Old 07-20-07, 11:20 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Does a 17 year old need a 350 hp car? I've seen more teenagers get in trouble
with cars like this with speeding tickets, accidents, etc.

I submit that most 17 year olds don't have enough driving experience or
understanding of vehicle dynamics to really handle a car like this.

We had a Persian kid locally here get his new M3 out of shape and kill
himself and a passenger. Not cool.

Also, if you've only been driving for a year or so, can you really "get bored"
with a particular car? I've always been a car guy, but when I was that age
driving was about the experience itself and the freedom- it wasn't even about
the car (I had a Fiat that I bought with my own money - it was a fun car,
and I learned a lot about pride of ownership and responsibility).

One other note; while a used W210 or E39 would be fun and have great snob
appeal, I think realistically you'd want to set aside some monthly $ for
repairs and maintenance. This would be true of any used car, but I have
friends that are Mercedes & BMW technicians and I am aware of the issues
that can plague these cars as they get older. Head gaskets, window regulators, power steering racks, sunroof motors- none are particularly
cheap to replace.

If you're thinking about heading to college, having an MB or BMW might seem
cool... until a less fortunate student keys your car or an inexperienced driver
backs into the corner of your car, taking out the taillight and bumper.

Not too many 17 year olds can earn $20,000 cash, so the source of the
money may infuence your decision. If aunt rose said "Johnny, I have $20K
to buy you a car" I suppose you might as well use it. If it was a trust fund
kind of deal I suppose I would spend a portion of it and invest the rest to
fund the purchase of a home sometime in the future. I wish I could have
purchased my first home at 25 instead of 30!
Thanks you for your response and everyone elses. I think you have a very good idea in getting a cheap car. The thing is, is that it's sort of like the Aunt Rose situation. I don't think I can keep the remaining balance of the money spent. If I do i'd gladly get a used car for around 10k or so...Y33 or something. It's just that right now I don't think i'm going to be able to be sitting with 10k in my pocket with another year of HS left. If I don't then I might as well spend as much as I can right? Or am I wrong?
Old 07-20-07, 11:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks you for your response and everyone elses. I think you have a very good idea in getting a cheap car. The thing is, is that it's sort of like the Aunt Rose situation. I don't think I can keep the remaining balance of the money spent. If I do i'd gladly get a used car for around 10k or so...Y33 or something. It's just that right now I don't think i'm going to be able to be sitting with 10k in my pocket with another year of HS left. If I don't then I might as well spend as much as I can right? Or am I wrong?
Just get an 86 Dodge GLH Turbo. You will save 18,000 bucks

Seriously, there are many good cars you can get for half the price. E46 is one of them, but you tossed that out. The GS you tossed that out as well. I say just wait another year, and save up for a second hand Lexus IS250. Right now I see 06 IS250's (with 30k on the clock) for 25k. By 2008, it will be in the 20k range. This is if you want to get into another Lexus.
Old 07-20-07, 11:36 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try to find the most stock mustang for 5k then drop in 15k of mods and WATCH OUT!!!
Old 07-20-07, 11:48 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Just get an 86 Dodge GLH Turbo. You will save 18,000 bucks

Seriously, there are many good cars you can get for half the price. E46 is one of them, but you tossed that out. The GS you tossed that out as well. I say just wait another year, and save up for a second hand Lexus IS250. Right now I see 06 IS250's (with 30k on the clock) for 25k. By 2008, it will be in the 20k range. This is if you want to get into another Lexus.
I'm just thinking the E46 is going to be too small. I didn't toss the GS out yet too! Out of the 528 or the 535 what would you choose? I REALLY love that body style.

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Try to find the most stock mustang for 5k then drop in 15k of mods and WATCH OUT!!!
No thank you, i've seen too many idiots driving those mustangs and i'd hate to be one. Maybe when i'm older and can handle 400WHP, but for now that's a little too much...
Old 07-20-07, 11:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just thinking the E46 is going to be too small. I didn't toss the GS out yet too! Out of the 528 or the 535 what would you choose? I REALLY love that body style.

528I sport package I would take that over the 540I seriously due to the fact the N52 family of inline 6's are bullet proof and ranked amoung the top 5 engines on the planet. Test drive all cars mentioned and give us your feedback
Old 07-20-07, 12:06 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Dream...straight up dream. I'm looking for those right now. I just want to stay in the lex family SO bad. O well

What about a WRX? STi maybe?
it is ok to buy used STi, but it is not ok to buy used EVO. The 540i w/ 6spd comes comes with sports package. If you're looking for a manual car, 540i w/ 6spd is my top pick, and then STI next. OF course, get the 01+ 540i.

If you're going to end up with an automatic, get the gs4/430, or an already boosted gs300.

Last edited by ElitistK; 07-20-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-20-07, 12:22 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ElitistK
it is ok to buy used STi, but it is not ok to buy used EVO. The 540i w/ 6spd comes comes with sports package. If you're looking for a manual car, 540i w/ 6spd is my top pick, and then STI next. OF course, get the 01+ 540i.

If you're going to end up with an automatic, get the gs4/430, or an already boosted gs300.

why it is ok to buy a used E39 and not a newer Evo I had E39 528i, 540 6spd and E39 M5.. from my experiance my Evo was by far had way less problems than any of the E39s I owned, even I had fews things on the car...

Quick Reply: I have 20k now!! What to get?