Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have 20k now!! What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07 | 07:39 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bighitbike
Hmmm, i was just thinking that I doubt I could keep the 10k and not spend it, maybe it's time for me to learn some management. That could work as an idea to keep the remaining balance. We'll see!

Thanks a ton,
Elliott
Elliott.

Put it in a CD with HEAVY penalties - that way it won't be worthwhile taking it out

Jonny
Old 07-22-07 | 02:18 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pfantom68
I just read through the thread quickly, but exactly what is your financial situation with this? You haven't been really clear, so most of this advice may end up being useless.

And being a 17-year-old myself, just wondering, what are you doing to get that kind of money (if you earned it yourself)?
Most of the money is insurance money. About 3/4's of it that is. The other 1/4 is my money. I make my money by buying things cheap and selling them for more then I bought them for. I have been doing that with paintball for awhile, but now am thinking of stepping up to cars soon.

Johnny: Do you think I should start investing or just put it in a CD? I know the CD will be less risk, but do you think I could do well in the market?
Old 07-22-07 | 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm, I was just thinking that I doubt I could keep the 10k and not spend it, maybe it's time for me to learn some management. That could work as an idea to keep the remaining balance. We'll see!
If you want to invest 10K of it or more, there are always stocks, of course....but they are risky. I myself have always liked municipal bonds, which are usually available in blocks of $5000 each, sometimes with a slight premium or discount. The interest they pay off (usually twice a year) is both Federal and state tax-free if you live in the state you invest in. There are also municipal bond funds, where you buy shares insteand of individual bonds.....these usually pay interest every month, and are also tax-free. Any broker at an investment firm can buy them for you...or in some cases you can buy them directly yourself rom the mutual fund.

I have invested in both for some years now and have built up a pretty good retirement nest egg. (which I start in two weeks, BTW)
Old 07-22-07 | 06:27 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want to invest 10K of it or more, there are always stocks, of course....but they are risky. I myself have always liked municipal bonds, which are usually available in blocks of $5000 each, sometimes with a slight premium or discount. The interest they pay off (usually twice a year) is both Federal and state tax-free if you live in the state you invest in. There are also municipal bond funds, where you buy shares insteand of individual bonds.....these usually pay interest every month, and are also tax-free. Any broker at an investment firm can buy them for you...or in some cases you can buy them directly yourself rom the mutual fund.

I have invested in both for some years now and have built up a pretty good retirement nest egg. (which I start in two weeks, BTW)
Congratulations on the retirement and thanks a lot for the tips!!!
Old 07-23-07 | 07:20 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

IMO, invest the money on yourself by getting an education, whether for college or some other form of formal schooling, you'll be far far ahead in the game called Life if you do. Once you have a degree, one day you can be like me and have TWO Lexus' in your garage.
Old 07-23-07 | 07:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bighitbike

Johnny: Do you think I should start investing or just put it in a CD? I know the CD will be less risk, but do you think I could do well in the market?
Elliott,

Loaded question. You could do very well in the market - or else you could lose your *****!

CD's are great, but low risk and low reward.

I would look at investing into some mutual funds. I have been looking at Emerging Markets. Also, you can't go wrong with Energy.

But then again, if you don't trust yourself with money then you may want to go with a CD.

I always liked investing in stocks/mutual funds because it is kind of like gambling everyday. It is fun to sign on and see how your stock is looking for the day. With a CD you know how much you are getting and the excitement is minimal. You are young and want to have fun with your money.

Why not put most of your money in a 6-month CD and take a little and use it to start trading some stocks. See how you do. If you enjoy it, when your term expires on your CD, throw a little more into your stocks. If you get owned by the stock market - go back to the CD

Jonny
Old 07-23-07 | 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
I always liked investing in stocks/mutual funds because it is kind of like gambling everyday. It is fun to sign on and see how your stock is looking for the day. With a CD you know how much you are getting and the excitement is minimal. You are young and want to have fun with your money.

Jonny
Well, it's certainly no fun when the bottom falls out of stock prices. While I can't say with certainty that there will be a crash, the Dow Jones right now is at record highs....14,000 and up. It is not likely to go up much further before a sharp downturn happens. In the investment world, that is known as a "correction".......when stock prices get overvalued and fall back to levels that more accurately reflect market conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-07 at 07:53 AM.