Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MazdaSpeed6 & Sport Wagon killed off for 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 08:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MazdaSpeed6 & Sport Wagon killed off for 2008

Mazda has released details about various changes for its 2008 model line, but only two points of interest concern us. Both the MazdaSpeed6 and Mazda6 Sport Wagon have been discontinued for the 2008 model year. The demise of the Sport Wagon comes at the hands of higher demand for the standard Sports Sedan and Mazda6 5-door. We say too bad, as the Mazda6 Sport Wagon was a kiddie hauler with some attitude, and we're surprised it gets the shaft before the 5-door sedan hatchback model.

If everyone could now take a moment to tip their 40-ounce for the all-wheel-drive MazdaSpeed6... thank you. This was a unique sports sedan, if based only on the fact that it utilized a turbo four-cylinder producing 270 horsepower rather than the more common 3.5L-and-above V6 mills that so many other automakers choose for their sports sedans. Some say it had a harsh ride, we say it was sharp. And the hood bulge, fender-filling wheels and dual-exhaust should tip you off anyway that this isn't milktoast.

One glimmer of hope that was found in Mazda's press release is the fact that the all-new Mazda6 (did you see the spyshots?) will not be a 2008 model, but more likely a 2009. So, if the fates are on our side, and we believe they are, the MazdaSpeed6 will return in a couple of years after the new model debuts and gets settled in. This time, however, we doubt it will packing as few as four cylinders.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/20/r...ed-off-for-08/
Old 07-21-07, 08:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The 5-door hatchback Mazda6 is actually my favourite Mazda 6, since it still looks like a sedan but with the practicality of the large opening of the hatch door. The wagon is of course the most practical, so for me, I actually think it's the 4-door sedan that should be discontinued first
Old 07-21-07, 09:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robarapta
The 5-door hatchback Mazda6 is actually my favourite Mazda 6, since it still looks like a sedan but with the practicality of the large opening of the hatch door. The wagon is of course the most practical, so for me, I actually think it's the 4-door sedan that should be discontinued first
I had a Mazda6 hatch for a rental once. It's pretty fun to drive even with the I4 engine and sequential shift automatic. The interior layout is pretty convenient. I really liked having volume control on the steering wheel. It's a well put together car. Kinda sad they're dropping the Mazdaspeed version. But I'm sure they'll revive it with the next gen.
Old 07-21-07, 01:15 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Mazdaspeed6 didn't have such a dreadful shifter + gearbox (it was even worse than the IS 250's), such a drab interior, and such dreadful MPG, I'd be driving one today. It would've been my choice over the IS that I bought last year.

I think what killed it, was that the package was too "taut" for lazy, fat-butted Americans. Stiff suspension, performance clutch, set-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration once you got past the turbo lag... it's not an easy car for inexperienced people to drive smoothly.
Old 07-21-07, 01:47 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by ff_
If the Mazdaspeed6 didn't have such a dreadful shifter + gearbox (it was even worse than the IS 250's), such a drab interior, and such dreadful MPG, I'd be driving one today. It would've been my choice over the IS that I bought last year.

I think what killed it, was that the package was too "taut" for lazy, fat-butted Americans. Stiff suspension, performance clutch, set-you-back-in-your-seat acceleration once you got past the turbo lag... it's not an easy car for inexperienced people to drive smoothly.
For it's class I thought the interior wasn't too bad.
Old 07-21-07, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Gotta disagree, at least to an extent, ff. Dislike of overly stiff suspensions is NOT necessarily a sign of lazy or overweight people. Take the guys at Car and Driver and Road and Track, for example, if you read their magazines (as I do). Few publications are as sports-oriented as they are....those guys, automotively-speaking, are lean and mean....and live for cornering, acceleration, and braking...but even they like a certain amount of refinement and civility in a car. That is one reason that their long-term test Mitsubishi Evos and Lotus Elises were not very popular with their drivers in the long run, outside of a few minutes of driving thrills....they just beat you up too much on rough roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-07 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 06:35 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta disagree, at least to an extent, ff. Dislike of overly stiff suspensions is NOT necessarily a sign of lazy or overweight people. Take the guys at Car and Driver and Road and Track, for example, if you read their magazines (as I do). Few publications are as sports-oriented as they are....those guys, automotively-speaking, are lean and mean....and live for cornering, acceleration, and braking...but even they like a certain amount of refinement and civility in a car. That is one reason that their long-term test Mitsubishi Evos and Lotus Elises were not very popular with their drivers in the long run, outside of a few minutes of driving thrills....they just beat you up too much on rough roads.
Yup, I know. I owned an S2000 for 2 years, and knew better than to take it on anything but an evening joyride, or a trip to the store for milk. One journey to Valdosta (230 miles) in it was enough to teach me that lesson.
Old 07-21-07, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Well, that's the American market for you. Americans, for the most part, unlike Europeans, have not appreciated the convienence of wagons now for decades, although small, entry-level hatchbacks are starting to come back to an extent. In Europe, wagons, in some cases, actually outsell similiar-model sedans. Here in America, most Americans who want to haul stuff in back usually ignore the traditional station-wagon market and, instead, turn to SUV's or crossover vehicles.

Take Subaru, for instance.....home of the hot-selling Outback Wagon (even I myself bought one), one of the few wagons that has had consistantly good sales in the U.S. The Outback, despite being nothing more than just a Legacy with a higher-riding suspension, is considered a crossover vehicle. And it sells, while the Legacy wagons just sit on dealer lots. As a result, for 2008, Subaru, like Mazda with the Mazda6 wagon, is dropping the Legacy wagon and keeping Legacy sedans. Conversely, the Outback sedan is dropped, and the wagons remain.
Old 07-22-07, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Exclamation MazdaSpeed 6 and Wagon, gone!

Damn, 2 great cars gone..no demand. I thought the wagon was superb.
http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_...25&make_id=227

"MAZDASPEED6

Produced only in limited quantities, the MAZDASPEED6 will be discontinued for the 2008 model year. "

Old 07-22-07, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Old 07-23-07, 03:03 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

I liked the hatchback of the Mazda6 the best as well. Practicality without being terribly obvious to the casual observer.

Honestly the Mazdaspeed6 wasn't ever anything I liked or I would buy.