Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fate the reason Chris Bangle is in charge...(I am searching BMW design history)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 07:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thread! Here is some more information about bmw designers. http://www.bmwism.com/bmws_designers.htm
Old 07-03-12, 12:17 AM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys left out one of the most elegant BMW coupes of all time the E9.
Old 07-03-12, 08:12 AM
LexFather

Bangle was a genius. So ahead his time.

Originally Posted by DustinV
Interesting. I never knew that he applied for and received American citizenship.
P.s- not everything in the world is German

Old 07-03-12, 10:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

After seeing the current and boring s-m-L bmw's design, I appreciate and like his design waaay better
Old 07-03-12, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think one of the biggest impact i see from bangle is the 7 series. when the e65 first came out it was nothing short of goose bumps for most people. fast forward years, now you see the bulky high trunk line in so many cars, including the ls and s. and it has become the natural look as well, most people think it looks good.

however, i ask the same question to everyone who bring this up. when you buy a car now, do you want one that looks good now, or you are going to put it in the garage for years and drive it years later when it looks good "then"?

in some way, i don't mind bangle seeing the future, but leave it to the future. otherwise for all i care, something can be for the future but it can still look super weird now. i have to admit, now after so many years, i am totally fine with the e65 look already, and honestly i am somewhat ok with e60 as well. i have no problem driving cars of those styles now, but gosh i couldn't imagine myself doing so almost a decade ago.
Old 07-03-12, 11:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i think one of the biggest impact i see from bangle is the 7 series. when the e65 first came out it was nothing short of goose bumps for most people. fast forward years, now you see the bulky high trunk line in so many cars, including the ls and s. and it has become the natural look as well, most people think it looks good.

however, i ask the same question to everyone who bring this up. when you buy a car now, do you want one that looks good now, or you are going to put it in the garage for years and drive it years later when it looks good "then"?

in some way, i don't mind bangle seeing the future, but leave it to the future. otherwise for all i care, something can be for the future but it can still look super weird now. i have to admit, now after so many years, i am totally fine with the e65 look already, and honestly i am somewhat ok with e60 as well. i have no problem driving cars of those styles now, but gosh i couldn't imagine myself doing so almost a decade ago.
NIce post. While we both agree the E65 did bring future design to cars it sure as hell wasn't pretty. BMW had to lease the car for the first time and sell it aggressively. It did however influence many other cars no bigger influences than the double dash and the trunk. To me the F01 is actually the design that looks best after Bangle.

Maybe if Bangle was given a chance to evolve his designs they would have gotten prettier to look at. Instead he was basically forced out and he left with the courage of his convictions with design. To think Lexus now uses a BMWish dash!

I didn't like his designs at all initially and have warmed up to most. I see his influence everywhere and he did an amazing job making BMWs look different but still be a BMW to most people. Today it seems every company is moving into make everything look the same for the sake of an easy way to create brand identity.

Bangle is missed

Old 07-03-12, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
NIce post. While we both agree the E65 did bring future design to cars it sure as hell wasn't pretty. BMW had to lease the car for the first time and sell it aggressively. It did however influence many other cars no bigger influences than the double dash and the trunk. To me the F01 is actually the design that looks best after Bangle.

Maybe if Bangle was given a chance to evolve his designs they would have gotten prettier to look at. Instead he was basically forced out and he left with the courage of his convictions with design. To think Lexus now uses a BMWish dash!

I didn't like his designs at all initially and have warmed up to most. I see his influence everywhere and he did an amazing job making BMWs look different but still be a BMW to most people. Today it seems every company is moving into make everything look the same for the sake of an easy way to create brand identity.

Bangle is missed

absolutely agreed. if somehow he made it more of a evolution (and subsequently bmw able to give him more time) rather than a sudden revolution, things could have been a lot different. imagine if he was still at bmw now and evolving the future that mb and lexus are chasing after.

in some way, i can see how things are settle down (as in boring) now. lexus and mb has "caught up" to bmw, and they are still trying to find the next best thing. bmw has toned down and now while elegant (subjective comment), you don't see that much of a future trend anymore. so the question becomes "what's next?" and no one seems to have the answer.

back a decade, bangle said it loudly and confidently "this is the future". and he's absolutely right
Old 07-03-12, 12:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
absolutely agreed. if somehow he made it more of a evolution (and subsequently bmw able to give him more time) rather than a sudden revolution, things could have been a lot different. imagine if he was still at bmw now and evolving the future that mb and lexus are chasing after.

in some way, i can see how things are settle down (as in boring) now. lexus and mb has "caught up" to bmw, and they are still trying to find the next best thing. bmw has toned down and now while elegant (subjective comment), you don't see that much of a future trend anymore. so the question becomes "what's next?" and no one seems to have the answer.

back a decade, bangle said it loudly and confidently "this is the future". and he's absolutely right
I wasn't ready for the future...now me wants E60 M5

Old 07-03-12, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wasn't ready for the future...now me wants E60 M5

want to take a guess what i have been tempting on...
Old 07-04-12, 07:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those who are interested could probably pick up on this book which was written by Chris Bangle himself to explain his ideas and philosophies of car design through a fictional setting.