Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Q&A: BMW M Vice President Gerhard Richter

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 10:43 PM
LexFather

Talking I thought I was arrogant.Q&A: BMW M Vice President Gerhard Richter

Edmunds

The M Power Strikes Back
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121767
By Alistair Weaver, Contributor Email

Date posted: 07-19-2007
STORY TOOLS
Print thisPrint this Save thisSave this Digg this storyDigg this!
Email thisEmail this Most PopularMost popular del.icio.usdel.icio.us

Gerhard Richter is vice president, BMW M Gmbh — the man responsible for the new generation of M cars. He began his career at BMW in the chassis development department, helping to engineer the first-generation BMW 7 Series. He then became the project engineer for BMW M's first everyday road car, the 1979 M535i, and he has worked at M ever since. Gerhard Richter was interviewed at the launch of the new 2008 BMW M3 by Inside Line's Alistair Weaver.

How would you define the role of the M3 in the BMW M range?
The M3 stands for our philosophy. It is the best representation of the M character, combining the feeling of a racecar with that of a normal street car. We concentrate on what we call "concept harmony," by which we mean that we look at the car as a whole. This is what separates us from everyone else.

How difficult has it been to replace the old inline-6 engine with a V8?
It was not so easy. The six-cylinder is the traditional engine for an M3. But the old engine had reached its limits. We had to develop an all-new engine and it made sense to design a V8. For fans of the six-cylinder engine, we have the M Coupe. This is our entry-level M model.

Will there be a new version of the lightweight M3 CSL?
We built the last M3 CSL to test how many euros customers are willing to pay for less weight. For 20 years, they've learnt to pay for more power, not less weight. The reaction to the CSL was very positive and you will already see in the new M3 that we've spent a lot of money bringing down the weight.

The last M3 CSL was very successful and fun to drive. From now on, there will always be a CSL version of the M3.

The M3 has grown up, both in terms of size and price. Is there room for a smaller, entry-level M car, based around the new 1 Series coupe available in Europe?
Theoretically, yes. A 1 Series coupe would be a good base for such a car, but there has been no decision yet.

It is true that the M3 has grown over several generations and the latest car is a similar length to an old 5 Series. But we also have the M Coupe for those who want a small car that concentrates on driving fun.

How do you decide which engine to develop for each car?
We're looking for the best performance for the type of car. For the M5 and M6 we use a V10, and for the M3 we use a V8. If you only develop one engine for all your cars, then you cannot have the perfect car. If the engine in the smaller car is too big, you will not have the right harmony.

What are your main targets when developing a new model?
We concentrate on several targets — high revs, lower fuel consumption. There are lots of targets but our main target is that the car must be fun to drive. Raw horsepower is not as important as how agile the car is and how the driver feels.

The power-to-weight figure is the most important figure — more horsepower and lower weight equals more agility.

Will we see alternative engine technologies in the future, such as diesel?
When a diesel is able to achieve high revs, why not use it? But for now it's not possible. We need that special, high-revving character in an M engine. It's not enough just to increase the boost pressure [of the turbo]. We need to change the character of the car.

What about a hybrid?
We already have a brake-energy regeneration system in the new M3, but it's not our target to put 100 kilograms [220 pounds] of batteries in our car. We need much smarter hybrid technology.

Or turbocharging?
Maybe in the future. In 2011, the F1 racing regulations could change to introduce turbocharging. If we were able to bring our character together with a turbo engine, then why not? Formula 1 is very important for us; BMW M's heritage is in motorsport. Changes in the F1 regulations might be good for us. If the change fits with the M character, it could be a solution. The most important thing for the customer is to have this special character.

Or hydrogen?
Maybe in 15 years time. It's important to remember that the car is only 100 years old and technology moves very fast. The new M3 engine has 17 percent more horsepower than the old, but it has 7 percent less weight and 8 percent lower fuel consumption. This is one of the most efficient V8s on the market.

What do you see as the key rivals for the M cars?
The characters of our rivals' cars are so different that customers can find the right car for them. The Porsche is a Porsche — very successful and fun to drive. And when people think of Porsche they think of the 911 — a modern-day Beetle.

(laughs)

Audi Quattro Gmbh uses front- or four-wheel drive, and so the handling is quite different. It's a good solution if you live in the mountains. Mercedes AMG uses a relatively low-revving big-block engine and an automatic gearbox. Every car is different.

AMG has recently started to offer a limited run of tuned cars called Black Series. Can we expect a similar range from BMW?

This is not our philosophy. The Black Series is a way of trying to change the character of the cars, but we wouldn't do this because we have a clear idea of what our cars need to be. We have a personalization program — Individual — which caters to owners with special tastes, but these changes would never affect the driving characteristics of an M car.

Audi recently introduced the R8 to much acclaim. Will BMW build a supercar?

That's a very difficult question to answer. A car like the Porsche Carrera GT could reflect our character, but the Carrera GT was not a commercial success. Below this supercar level, anything we could offer would just be on a level with the M3 or M6.

We could build a car that used the technical aspects of the M3 or M6 but clothe it in a new body, but such a car would be more expensive and no more fun to drive. That is the reason why we're hesitant to build such a car, although as an engineer I'd love to do it.

If you build a €1 million supercar, no one will ever have the chance to see it. For us it's better to make an M3 or M6, where the price is OK.

Old 07-22-07, 10:55 PM
LexFather

To me..damn near every company took a shot!
-we don't put the same engine in everything-Nissan
-200lbs of batteries is crap-Lexus
-black series is not the right way to do it-Mercedes
-a good solution for the mountains-Audi
-911 is a modern day beetle-Porsche (might have been joking)
-Carerra GT not a commercial success (uhhh, no other supercar sold better)-Porsche

And reading the majority of M3 reviews, its not as great as he would have us believe. =)

Old 07-22-07, 11:27 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its refreshing to see someone serious about weight, even if the intent is to charge the consumer more for it...

so on that note, its good to see that there will be a e92 csl
Old 07-22-07, 11:53 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why did you make two threads for this? haha
Old 07-23-07, 12:10 AM
genearch
Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Agenda
Old 07-23-07, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What part of the interview did you find arrogant? This, IMO, was the only sentence he made that struck me as arrogant:

We built the last M3 CSL to test how many euros customers are willing to pay for less weight.
In other words, "You want our products, you clean out your bank account".
Old 07-23-07, 05:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I didn't find anything arrogant in that article. In fact, most everything he said makes sense.
Old 07-23-07, 05:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Porsche is a Porsche — very successful and fun to drive. And when people think of Porsche they think of the 911 — a modern-day Beetle.
I thought this quote was pretty snobbish, other than that a good interview.
Old 07-23-07, 06:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Agenda
Incorrect. I found it arrogant, seems no one else did, big deal.

Mistake

Old 07-23-07, 06:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate baiting perhaps? It is clear to the objective mind.
Old 07-23-07, 07:08 AM
genearch
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Without a doubt

+1
Old 07-23-07, 07:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Guys knock it off please.
Old 07-23-07, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You guys need a hug?
1. I posted 2 by accident
2. To ME its arrogant
3. There is no baiting, there is nothing to bait.

You guys DON'T POST when I have a thread a few threads down informing everyone on the real facts on how BMW design (Bangle) changed. There is so real good information in there.

Instead of commenting on both articles, you are commenting on me in this thread b/c you do not agree with my comments.

Old 07-23-07, 08:25 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave just said knock it off, right?
Old 07-23-07, 08:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yes I did.........