Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

X5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 05:00 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not sure either. I went to the dealer Tuesday to ask. I hope to know sometime soon. I'm waiting to find out what I'm going to buy next. X5 or LX 570. I don't know why BMW is keeping it a secret. I should know by the middle of August...

Craig
Old 07-29-07, 08:08 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
I will be glad to take your offer, if you are willing to find me a brand new LX570 for 60K.

Well, I didn't say the car is a night mare. I actually like how it drives, and handles. I think only Porsche turbo SUV will come close when it comes to the performance department. The 4.8 V8 sounds pretty amazing and really mean.

Like Tony said, the car is excellent for about 3% of the activities what you would want to do with a 5000lbs SUV, like attacking the corner with a hardcore speed, or driving on the ramp like a mad man. Other than that, if you really want a luxury SUV when you want a soothing ride in after a long day of work, look else where.

You said it perfectly Stig. I was seriously thinking about getting the new Cayenne S or the Turbo but for the money the electronics is so out dated that it would put me back to BMW for value. The only other SUV I am considering is the new Mercedes GL 550 with AMG sport package that SUV looks awesome. Electronics is still 3 years behind lexus but better than Porsche and behind BMW. So that brings me back to the new LX570 or the new GX470.
Old 08-12-07, 12:58 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

The X5 is going to come out with a twin turbo diesel in March 08. That would be my engine of choice.

Craig
Old 08-12-07, 09:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
The X5 is going to come out with a twin turbo diesel in March 08. That would be my engine of choice.

Craig
Can you give us more info?

I would be all over it. Bye Bye 4.8 gas guzzler, if I can get twin turbo diesel.
The worst thing about X5 4.8i right now is, I can even make 3 days without a stop at the gas station. Pretty annoying.
Old 08-13-07, 12:29 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Yeah, I've had in confirmed by two dealers. It should be available in March 08.
I don't have any pricing info yet. I would think the option would be much less than the 4.8 over the 3.0 right now. Once I hear more, I will post the info. I've been waiting for this engine. BMW used this engine in the 25hr race @ Thunderhill. It should be awesome...

Craig
Old 08-13-07, 01:04 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a fan of the new i-drive interface with the menu button to just get back to the home screen if you get lost in it somewhere. ive been using it for about 3 months and easily have the hang of it
Old 08-13-07, 01:37 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Adrian Hearn BMW has revealed details of its most powerful diesel SUV ever -
the X5 3.0sd.
Using a twin-turbocharged 3-litre engine, the diesel produces 286bhp and an
enormous 427lb/ft of pulling power.
This means the 4x4 will accelerate from 0-62mph (100kph) in 7 seconds before
running out of steam at 146mph.
And the frugal engine means the X5 will still manage an impressive 34.4mpg,
while overtaking and hill-climbing is made easier with the huge pulling
power delivered at just 1,750rpm.
The 3.0sd is 52bhp more powerful than the standard 3-litre X5, and to cope
with this, BMW has fitted uprated brakes.
As with the standard model, power is transmitted to the 4x4 via a six-speed
automatic gearbox to all four-wheels.
And those wanting a sportier version can opt for the M Sport pack, which
boasts 19-inch alloys, sports suspension, sports seats and a more
aerodynamic bodykit.
Production of the 3.0sd begins in the USA in August with the X5 expecting to
hit UK forecourts in October.
Prices start at £42,630 for the 3.0sd SE, rising to £47,675 for the 3.0sd M
Sport.
Old 08-13-07, 01:38 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

0-62 in 7 seconds is right with flat torque curve. Press release confirms that.

The new BMW X5 3.0sd
BMW’s class-leading Sports Activity Vehicle is now available with the world’s most powerful production six-cylinder diesel powerplant. The award-winning twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre diesel engine has been brought to the BMW X5 range to cater for a growing demand for performance SAVs.

The BMW X5 3.0sd provides the driver with 286hp and a flat torque curve with a peak of 580Nm from a lowly 1,750rpm to ensure rapid performance. The X5 3.0sd is capable of accelerating from zero to 62mph in 7.0 seconds before going on to a top speed of 146mph.

Model / Price OTR / Power Hp / Torque Nm / Zero – 62mph Seconds / Top Speed Mph / Combined Mpg
BMW X5 3.0sd SE £42,630 286 580 7.0 146 34.4
BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport £47,6755

The drivetrain in the BMW X5 3.0sd is unique in its segment as it utilises two differently sized turbochargers operating in sequential stages depending on driver inputs. The key to the engine’s smooth power delivery is that, despite the mechanics of two turbochargers providing variable power, they deliver a consistent 2.85bar pressure to the intercooler at all times. One smaller turbocharger provides near instantaneous power at low engine speeds, while a larger turbocharger provides the mid to top end power. The boost of both turbochargers is a regulated by an ECU and three control valves. This arrangement ensures optimum performance delivery from just above idle speed through to the red line and makes for impressive performance figures and an absence of turbo lag.

Power in the X5 3.0sd is transmitted to the road via a standard six-speed automatic gearbox and BMW’s renowned xDrive four-wheel-drive system. Complementing xDrive technology is the use of Dynamic Stability Control + including Dynamic Traction Control. DSC+ is the most advanced stability control system currently available on a production car and comes with four additional features above and beyond the original DSC system. DSC+ adds Hill-start assistant, Brake pre-tensioning, Brake fade compensation and Brake drying. Dynamic Traction Control, when engaged, allows for a degree of wheel slip to permit forward motion on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow. It also allows the keener driver to revel in the handling characteristics of the X5 without the DSC+ interrupting the flow unless the situation becomes critical.

Diesel power accounts for more than 90 per cent of X5 sales in the UK and the new X5 3.0sd is being introduced to satisfy the wishes of some existing X5 owners who asked for an even greater level of performance. To cope with this the X5 3.0sd features uprated brakes compared to a standard 3.0d and comes fitted with thicker and larger diameter disc brakes for greater retardation. For a subtle and discreet visual differentiation between the two diesel X5 models the 3.0sd also has a chrome kidney grille with titanium vertical slats.

The BMW X5 3.0sd is on sale now and costs £42,630 OTR for SE versions and £47,675 OTR for the M Sport.

The announcement of the X5 3.0sd coincides with the news that the M Sport trim level is now available on the rest of the BMW X5 range. Launched initially on the 4.8-litre car only, M Sport allows customers to further personalise their vehicle. Standard M Sport equipment includes 19-inch light alloy M V-spoke wheels, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M leather steering wheel, Sports suspension, Sports seats, Nevada leather upholstery, Anthracite headlining and Brushed Aluminium interior trim.

The BMW X5 3.0si M Sport costs £44,690 OTR while the X5 3.0d M Sport costs £45,265 OTR. The BMW X5 4.8i M Sport tops the range and costs £53,440 OTR
Old 08-13-07, 06:05 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the earliest diesel in the X5 for the US would the normal 3.0 litre diesel, badged as the X5 3.0d as early as the mid-2008 MY.

If you want owners' experiences: www.x5world.com