Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

X5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 05:29 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X5

I know that this is not a direct competitor to the LX but does anyone have the X5? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you like it?

Last edited by luxury1; 07-23-07 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-23-07, 06:38 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

We don't have a 2007+ X5. E78 I think is what it's called...
We have the E53, the 2004 X5 4.4i
This was before there was the 4.8is and after the 4.6is
I wish we waited for the 4.8is.
I believe in the new X5, the 4.8i is the standard highest engine
Personally I would wait for the X.Xis version to come out. BMW's are not nice cars unless in full trim form. It was first my moms, then mine, and now my sisters. I drove it very very hard, it handled lots of abuse. For what it's worth I hated the vehicle though. It was slow, understeered heavily, and couldn't offroad worth a damn.
Old 07-23-07, 10:09 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
We don't have a 2007+ X5. E78 I think is what it's called...
We have the E53, the 2004 X5 4.4i
This was before there was the 4.8is and after the 4.6is
I wish we waited for the 4.8is.
I believe in the new X5, the 4.8i is the standard highest engine
Personally I would wait for the X.Xis version to come out. BMW's are not nice cars unless in full trim form. It was first my moms, then mine, and now my sisters. I drove it very very hard, it handled lots of abuse. For what it's worth I hated the vehicle though. It was slow, understeered heavily, and couldn't offroad worth a damn.
Thanks for the input. Someone told me that the nex X5 drives like a 550 but I haven't yet validated.

I am really surprised that BMW doesn't have an X7 to compete with the LX. I am sure it would do really well.
Old 07-23-07, 12:36 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 with 23k miles. Our head cracked at 20k miles. Car was out for 2 weeks at dealer for repairs. Luckily it was all under warranty, but regardless should not have happened at such a young age. I probably won't ever buy another German car.
Old 07-23-07, 03:51 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default For what its worth

Originally Posted by luxury1
Thanks for the input. Someone told me that the nex X5 drives like a 550 but I haven't yet validated.

I am really surprised that BMW doesn't have an X7 to compete with the LX. I am sure it would do really well.
I currently have a 06 550 full bells and whistles and totally regret going over to BMW. Service is absolutely horrid and I have had a crap load of electronic issues with at least 6 firmware updates that take a day to two days each to do. BMW brags about all the electronics they have but none of it works like it should for example. Auto headlights come on during the day any time it wants, I drive gets stuck, Navigation shows you 50 miles off course, Bluetooth freezes, Each firmware screws up another part of the car so you have to wait till they fix it on the next firmware. Brakes are impossible to stop smoothly and jerks, Tranny jerks the first 5 miles like an old jalopy.

The only good thing about the BMW 550 is the handling and how flat it takes corners but for 95% of daily use it sucks. The 5% when you are on open highways going past 90mph or taking turns down steep mountain roads its great.

I really should have gone with the GS 460 or kept my GX470. As soon as my lease is up in 09 I will never stray from Lexus again. I will most likely get the LX570 or the new redone GX.

The new X5 by the way is having alot of firmware update issues just like the 550 did in the beginning and people are not happy with the Gas mileage and the small gas tank size causing frequent fill ups. Many are complainning about the air leveling problems also as well as bad tranny shifts.
Old 07-25-07, 02:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

We just took the delivery of 2008 X5 4.8i with almost all the options. (sport, premium, 20" wheels etc/)

X5 and LX are totally different cars. You really can't compare one with the other. The car drives amazingly well for a big SUV. That's a big plus for X5.

In terms of build quality, you will be disappointed with BMW if you are used to Lexus' craftsmanship. I-Drive is a nightmare. I jokingly call it i-Crash. Sound system is horrible. My old 4runner has better sound system than the X5 with premium sound system. We have 500 miles on the ODO now, and we can't do better than 10.5MPG.

Overall, I am not impressed for what it costs. The sticker was 71xxx. The car could have been better. Much better actually.
Attached Thumbnails X5-img042.jpg  

Last edited by STIG; 07-25-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 02:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

This is the quality you get from 70k car. Acceptable? You'd be the judge.

That thing flies off on the freeway once you go above 60mph. I know it's an easy fix but on the 70k car? come on..
Attached Thumbnails X5-img044.jpg  
Old 07-25-07, 03:21 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow.

What were your impressions before buying the X5?

I do like how their large wheel combo has a nice footprint, kinda thick and chunky and not look an Escalade which are tall and narrow though!
Old 07-26-07, 04:38 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
We just took the delivery of 2008 X5 4.8i with almost all the options. (sport, premium, 20" wheels etc/)

X5 and LX are totally different cars. You really can't compare one with the other. The car drives amazingly well for a big SUV. That's a big plus for X5.

In terms of build quality, you will be disappointed with BMW if you are used to Lexus' craftsmanship. I-Drive is a nightmare. I jokingly call it i-Crash. Sound system is horrible. My old 4runner has better sound system than the X5 with premium sound system. We have 500 miles on the ODO now, and we can't do better than 10.5MPG.

Overall, I am not impressed for what it costs. The sticker was 71xxx. The car could have been better. Much better actually.
Stig I couldnt agree with you more on the gas mileage and stupid I-Drive. The build quality of the BMW sucks. I paid 71k for my 550 and very disappointed. BMWs do drive incredible though but when you are in bumper to bumper traffic the car sucks.
Old 07-26-07, 07:24 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ha, you all would make the folks over the pond at Top Gear very pleased. They love ratting on German cars. Especially more recently when the new M5 came out. Jeremy Clarkson ratted on that thing the entire episode! He talked about how German cars have gotten less and less reliable. I specifically remembering him talking about "everyday driving." That M5 was "unsuitable for everday driving", so to say.

and although the new bimmers are crap like everyone sees them now, I wouldnt mind having one. Probably not an X5, because my RX gets crappy mileage now, and if i were buying a new car, it'd be more fuel efficient. I couldnt explain that 9.4mpg, but I'm sure it's not entirely the cars fault.

my dad's daily driver is an 02 525i with close to 90k on it. when i say it runs perfectly, it runs perfectly. I remember when he first got it while I was still living in nj...it wasnt his first bimmer, and def not his last. 90k and the only thing he's ever had to do is like oil, tires, and most recently some brakes. but other than that it's an amazing car. spotless outside, mint inside. seriously.

but it is tru, once you drive a bmw there is no substitute. whether or not you're saving gas, you can't help but to notice how amazing the handling is. i took the 5 out for a drive this weekend and nearly killed myself in the rx after when i realized i couldnt actually make a u-turn in only 2 lanes.

but that's what you get for driving a couch around!!
Old 07-26-07, 10:16 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround
ha, you all would make the folks over the pond at Top Gear very pleased. They love ratting on German cars. Especially more recently when the new M5 came out. Jeremy Clarkson ratted on that thing the entire episode! He talked about how German cars have gotten less and less reliable. I specifically remembering him talking about "everyday driving." That M5 was "unsuitable for everday driving", so to say.

and although the new bimmers are crap like everyone sees them now, I wouldnt mind having one. Probably not an X5, because my RX gets crappy mileage now, and if i were buying a new car, it'd be more fuel efficient. I couldnt explain that 9.4mpg, but I'm sure it's not entirely the cars fault.

my dad's daily driver is an 02 525i with close to 90k on it. when i say it runs perfectly, it runs perfectly. I remember when he first got it while I was still living in nj...it wasnt his first bimmer, and def not his last. 90k and the only thing he's ever had to do is like oil, tires, and most recently some brakes. but other than that it's an amazing car. spotless outside, mint inside. seriously.

but it is tru, once you drive a bmw there is no substitute. whether or not you're saving gas, you can't help but to notice how amazing the handling is. i took the 5 out for a drive this weekend and nearly killed myself in the rx after when i realized i couldnt actually make a u-turn in only 2 lanes.

but that's what you get for driving a couch around!!

I love the way BMW looks their style has always been very sporty compared to Lexus but the function is only skin deep. The way the car handles and drives is grreat but not for the price. I love the way the new 3 convertible looks and the X5 looks but I will not be going back to BMW after this one. To bad Lexus couldnt hire the folks that design Mercedes or BMWs they would own the market for both looks and function. Your dad's car doesnt have the I drive system in it, thats 80 percent of the problem right there.
Old 07-27-07, 07:10 PM
aaron300z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STIG

I'll give you 50k right now for your X5. If the X5 it's such a night mare for you then I will be glad to drive it for you.

Old 07-27-07, 09:43 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aaron300z
I'll give you 50k right now for your X5. If the X5 it's such a night mare for you then I will be glad to drive it for you.

I will be glad to take your offer, if you are willing to find me a brand new LX570 for 60K.

Well, I didn't say the car is a night mare. I actually like how it drives, and handles. I think only Porsche turbo SUV will come close when it comes to the performance department. The 4.8 V8 sounds pretty amazing and really mean.

Like Tony said, the car is excellent for about 3% of the activities what you would want to do with a 5000lbs SUV, like attacking the corner with a hardcore speed, or driving on the ramp like a mad man. Other than that, if you really want a luxury SUV when you want a soothing ride in after a long day of work, look else where.

Last edited by STIG; 07-27-07 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 01:08 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want the X5, you should wait for the diesel engine. They have a twin turbo diesel rumored for the X5.

Adrian Hearn BMW has revealed details of its most powerful diesel SUV ever -
the X5 3.0sd.
Using a twin-turbocharged 3-litre engine, the diesel produces 286bhp and an
enormous 427lb/ft of pulling power.
This means the 4x4 will accelerate from 0-62mph (100kph) in 7 seconds before
running out of steam at 146mph.
And the frugal engine means the X5 will still manage an impressive 34.4mpg,
while overtaking and hill-climbing is made easier with the huge pulling
power delivered at just 1,750rpm.
The 3.0sd is 52bhp more powerful than the standard 3-litre X5, and to cope
with this, BMW has fitted uprated brakes.
As with the standard model, power is transmitted to the 4x4 via a six-speed
automatic gearbox to all four-wheels.
And those wanting a sportier version can opt for the M Sport pack, which
boasts 19-inch alloys, sports suspension, sports seats and a more
aerodynamic bodykit.
Production of the 3.0sd begins in the USA in August with the X5 expecting to
hit UK forecourts in October.
Prices start at £42,630 for the 3.0sd SE, rising to £47,675 for the 3.0sd M
Sport.

That's the engine they used in the 25 hour race at Thunderhill...

Craig
Old 07-28-07, 04:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
If you want the X5, you should wait for the diesel engine. They have a twin turbo diesel rumored for the X5.

Adrian Hearn BMW has revealed details of its most powerful diesel SUV ever -
the X5 3.0sd.
Using a twin-turbocharged 3-litre engine, the diesel produces 286bhp and an
enormous 427lb/ft of pulling power.
This means the 4x4 will accelerate from 0-62mph (100kph) in 7 seconds before
running out of steam at 146mph.
And the frugal engine means the X5 will still manage an impressive 34.4mpg,
while overtaking and hill-climbing is made easier with the huge pulling
power delivered at just 1,750rpm.
The 3.0sd is 52bhp more powerful than the standard 3-litre X5, and to cope
with this, BMW has fitted uprated brakes.
As with the standard model, power is transmitted to the 4x4 via a six-speed
automatic gearbox to all four-wheels.
And those wanting a sportier version can opt for the M Sport pack, which
boasts 19-inch alloys, sports suspension, sports seats and a more
aerodynamic bodykit.
Production of the 3.0sd begins in the USA in August with the X5 expecting to
hit UK forecourts in October.
Prices start at £42,630 for the 3.0sd SE, rising to £47,675 for the 3.0sd M
Sport.

That's the engine they used in the 25 hour race at Thunderhill...

Craig
I also hear the rumor that US will only get 3.0d (single turbo) will hit US in 2009 rather than sd version because of emission control. I am not sure if that is true or not.

Quick Reply: X5