Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota: Plug-in hybrids need ‘better batteries’

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 08:05 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota: Plug-in hybrids need ‘better batteries’

Toyota: Plug-in hybrids need ‘better batteries’

Toyota doesn’t expect plug-in hybrid cars to be a huge success until battery performance doubles. The Japanese auto maker doesn’t even see a significant market that would purchase a plug-in hybrid as of yet.

Plug-in hybrids will take off “when we have better batteries,” Yo****aka Asakura, a manager in Toyota’s hybrid vehicle system engineering division told Automotive News. When batteries offer “two times the energy storage capacity in the same space, then we can see plug-in hybrids,” he says.

If the current Prius were to become a plug-in hybrid that could go at least 37 miles on battery power alone, it would require 12 times the battery power in the current Prius. That battery would fill up the hatchback, Asakura said.

Adding plug-ins to that will add “just a little more” in sales. Asakura refused to comment on the chances of Toyota’s using lithium ion batteries, rather than the Prius’ current nickel-metal hydride batteries, which offers less energy than lithium ion.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/07/23...ter-batteries/
Old 07-23-07, 08:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see that Toyota is showing restraint; personally, I just don't like the way this hybrid/plug-in technology is going.
Old 07-23-07, 08:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... so 37 miles of battery only driving in the current prius would require 12 times the batteries?? I knew it was bad, but not that bad?

I guess that explains why nobody is doing plug-ins right now... when the difference between a full charge and an empty charge is 3 miles of gas-free driving (assuming you don't need to get moving very quickly)...

I wonder if that 37 miles is calculated as stop and go, too? Or is that highway miles (which would give us a more worst-case scenario since hybrids do better in the city than they do on the highway)

I've heard that the goal for Chevrolet's 2009 Volt is 30 miles, plug-in, gasoline backed electric drive train. (think of it as an electric motor with gasoline backup instead of the opposite way as most hybrids have been so far).

But from the sounds of it they better be looking at lithium ion if not lithium polymer before they can even consider such a thing...
Old 07-23-07, 08:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

teh battery is the current weakpoint from making even higher mileage hybrids and plug in cars, smaller, lighter, and higher capacity batteries have to be developed for this to happen
Old 07-23-07, 08:51 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

I think battery tech is at a stand still right now. I see it being that way for the next ten years. Im mean lithium batteries were a big step up but too many safety issues with them. That whole Plug in stuff is a waste of time in my opinion but Im not the company with millions in R&D. Lexus in on the right track with this one.
Old 07-23-07, 12:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

ehm, toyota is currently testing plugin prius with litium batteries in japan... i think a lot of people would be happy with 10-15 miles.
Old 07-23-07, 05:09 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
ehm, toyota is currently testing plugin prius with litium batteries in japan... i think a lot of people would be happy with 10-15 miles.
Exactly. Sure the technology could always improve with better batteries, producing a longer range, but at least Toyota is concentrating on making the technology a reality in the near future instead of waiting around and doing nothing simply because the current batteries aren't "good enough".
Old 07-23-07, 05:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...and one of the marketing slogans for HSD/LHD is "you never have to plug it in."
Old 07-23-07, 08:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BS... I say they're downplaying it so their competitors don't get a head start (I think GM is also thinking about plug-in).

HyMotion and Calcars have shown that it can be done. Of course with Toyota, they'll need more testing to ensure they can still offer the long hybrid warranty even with plug-in capability.

And for all those that are saying it's dirtier. Is it worst for the environment to "waste" the electricity at night or to suck up the juice and charge the car?

I mean, electricity is generated and if it's not used, it's gone to waste. Plugging in at night improves profits for electricity companies cause now they're getting paid for electricity produced at night.