Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will The Chinese Succeed in USA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 12:47 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not since almost everything else seems to be made in China and sold here in the US..
Old 07-24-07, 02:47 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2006
And will they be confined to low priced cars?

Low cost will be the selling point when they enter the market. But can they move beyond that price point into traditional priced vehicles? Or luxury brands?

Obvioulsy build quality, safety, content and dealer support will be critical for their succeess. But will Americans be receptive to these brands? How much will the recent success of Hyundai have on Americans accepting Chinese vehicles?

My guess is American will accept these vehicles after they can be assured of the quality of the vehicles. I believe you will see a proliferation of Chinese brands early on that will be reduced to a handful of brands after a few years, as smaller companies will enter the market ill prepared and without the financial resources to succeed. Those manufacturers that have been preparing for entry with US partners, and working with European manufaturers over the past few years will be in the best shape to succeed early on.

Frankly I look forward to the increased competition. Look what competition did for Detroit and Hyundai. Hyundai is now in a position to challenge Toyota and Detriot has never build a better quality car, though they still don't stack up to the Japanese brands.
I am not buying one until I can fill it up with a melamine-spiked gas to increase horsepower and chassis structural rigidity, as well as interior dimensions, just like the motherland intended...
Old 07-24-07, 03:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they sell the car the same price as in China, they will, think about brand new car for less tha 4K... but mean while, those cars are the one you DON"T want to get in... Last time we drive a Alto manual ( powered by a 0.8 3 Cyclinder?), we had to turn the AC off since there are 3 people in the car, and the car can't accelerate..