Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Infiniti M45x facelift pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 10:59 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point is that many cars have similarities with one another. In pictures, the current g35 coupe looks similar to the altima coupe. In person, they look nothing alike. The altima coupe reminds me more of a scion tc.
Old 07-25-07, 12:00 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I like the front/rear much better. The rear lights are very similar to what the Toyota Avalon did in its last generation refresh. So to me it looks a lot better. Getting to flipsides point, there is a difference between family resemblence and well the same thing over and over.
Really? You mix up 2 headlights for 4??? LEDs for projectors? I will say the ES and LS front does look way more similar than the IS/GS.
Just a question out of curiosity: Why do you always try to find similarities between a particular group of vehicles? Particularly in threads such as this one, in which it doesn't seem to pertain to the topic at all

How is it beneficial or helpful, in any way? I'm sure if I had the time, I would be able to find dozens if not hundreds of cars that share similarities which each other, yet are completely different cars.

Unlike my other posts, I'm not criticizing you. I'm just really curious to see your perspective on your approach.

Last edited by S8B; 07-25-07 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 06:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
Just a question out of curiosity: Why do you always try to find similarities between a particular group of vehicles? Particularly in threads such as this one, in which it doesn't seem to pertain to the topic at all

How is it beneficial or helpful, in any way? I'm sure if I had the time, I would be able to find dozens if not hundreds of cars that share similarities which each other, yet are completely different cars.

Unlike my other posts, I'm not criticizing you. I'm just really curious to see your perspective on your approach.

Always? I am not finding anything. They ARE similar. Send an e-mail to the designers, not me.

Old 07-25-07, 07:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think the similarities in luxury cars lines as you go up the scale is totally intentional. A C-class looks like a smaller E- class which looks like a smaller S-Class. The BMW 3 looks like a baby 5 which looks like an adolescent 7 series. The same strategy goes for Lexus and Infiniti. It's about brand identity. With mainstream cars makers the emphasis is more on specific models within the line. That's why they have names like Camry, Maxima, Accord, Mustang and so forth. The model name carries a certain amount of brand awareness which is beneficial to the overall brand. People say, I drive a Mustang or an Accord.

But with luxury brands you want to emphasize the marque itself so that people say I drive a Benz or I drive a BMW or Lexus or Infiniti. That is also why luxury cars usually have number designations like 535i, GS350, M45 instead of names. The emphasis is on the brand itself.

That goes hand-in-hand with the styling unity you see in the upscale brands too.
Old 07-25-07, 07:37 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure they similar in the pictures but wait until you see it on the streets. Once again, as with almost anything, it'll be better in person. There is also the physical size difference between the M/G, IS/ES, etc.
Old 07-25-07, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Sure they similar in the pictures but wait until you see it on the streets. Once again, as with almost anything, it'll be better in person. There is also the physical size difference between the M/G, IS/ES, etc.

We've only got these lame pictures of the refreshed M, but to me it looks promising. The new back bumper with the inset 'skirt' is going to make the car look less like it has a 'big butt' (a good thing). The front looks better to me also.
Old 07-26-07, 12:56 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Not laughable, that is his opinion I agree that offering AWD with the M45 is great.
This car nor any car in this class is a flagship. They are midsize luxury sport sedans.
As someone else noted, the M is acting as the flagship for Infiniti for now as it is the top of the line model they currently offer. Yes of course it is a midsize luxury sport sedan, but that wasn't my point.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I really don't think the M & G look identical or even close to that. When I see a G on the road, I immediately know that it's a G and never once confused it with an M. Same thing vice/versa. But in all honesty, I do think at quick glance the LS & ES look very similar. I can identify the distinction between them after looking at them more closely, but at first glance, they could be either/or. I don't, however, think the GS & IS look similar. I could never confuse the GS with the handsome IS - too many differences. A Maxima maybe, but not an IS
Old 07-26-07, 04:11 PM
lawman
Driver

I loved my 5 speed lexus but needed more doors... was all set to pick up a 2001+ LS430, but a funny thing happened on my quest to pick up a LS430 last summer... A "used" 06 M35 was made available.... it had a good ammount of new stuff/goodies, rear view camera, cooled seats, "new" factor, bourbon interior... so I went with the M.

So far so good, there are some bads and plenty of goods...I can pick out a bunch of things I liked about my Lexus that the M does not have, but the M is in no way a slouch...

agree that the refresh is maybe a little too soon for this car 2 years out. Do like the refresh so far and look forward to seeing the sport/aero kit as I think the M has one of the better OEM aero kits. The tails never bother me too much like them better at night...

agree the dual exhaust tips could be more, but that is what Junction Produce is for..., also not to sure on the fogs, like them better then my version but don't care for the design thing/line from the fog...

Am happy with the way Infiniti is trying to keep up...

I have done some mods on the M as some **** hole guy named Manaray keeps buggin me about no chrome or something...

I actually do prefer the M look over the 3rd gen G, just my opinon, the little mods help.... some pics (excuse the quality)

day pic next to a damn nice 3rd gen G..

I am liking the refresh lower bumper a bit better then the current version

some night shots...

The tail lamps at night are not so in your face, I like the LEDs.. The refresh seems to "tone" down the large tail lamps, makes it a bit sleeker...

Old 07-27-07, 06:50 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new update.

The interior light change and addition of the HD is definitely nice, not to mention the available M45x model.

Where's the new transmission though?!
Old 07-27-07, 06:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Actually, as similar as the design of the M & G, I can tell them apart in an instant on the road even from a distance.
The new G35 sedan looks so much better than the M35/45, it's a big improvement over the previous G35 sedan.
Old 07-27-07, 07:21 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lawman
I loved my 5 speed lexus but needed more doors... was all set to pick up a 2001+ LS430, but a funny thing happened on my quest to pick up a LS430 last summer... A "used" 06 M35 was made available.... it had a good ammount of new stuff/goodies, rear view camera, cooled seats, "new" factor, bourbon interior... so I went with the M.

So far so good, there are some bads and plenty of goods...I can pick out a bunch of things I liked about my Lexus that the M does not have, but the M is in no way a slouch...

agree that the refresh is maybe a little too soon for this car 2 years out. Do like the refresh so far and look forward to seeing the sport/aero kit as I think the M has one of the better OEM aero kits. The tails never bother me too much like them better at night...

agree the dual exhaust tips could be more, but that is what Junction Produce is for..., also not to sure on the fogs, like them better then my version but don't care for the design thing/line from the fog...

Am happy with the way Infiniti is trying to keep up...

I have done some mods on the M as some **** hole guy named Manaray keeps buggin me about no chrome or something...

I actually do prefer the M look over the 3rd gen G, just my opinon, the little mods help.... some pics (excuse the quality)

day pic next to a damn nice 3rd gen G..

I am liking the refresh lower bumper a bit better then the current version

some night shots...

The tail lamps at night are not so in your face, I like the LEDs.. The refresh seems to "tone" down the large tail lamps, makes it a bit sleeker...

That's hot!!