Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So much for Herbie: 2010 Volkswagen Beetle going full modern

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 07:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default So much for Herbie: 2010 Volkswagen Beetle going full modern

So much for Herbie: 2010 Volkswagen Beetle going full modern

Art By Mark Stehrenberger

Amidst the board-room shakeups and in-flux product plans following the quasi-takeover by Porsche, a few things have nevertheless stayed on course at Volkswagen Central in Wolfsburg, Germany. One such project is the replacement for the not so new New Beetle, which is reportedly on track for a 2010 launch.

Set to share a platform with the next-generation Rabbit and upcoming Scirocco, the 2010 Beetle will once again be styled in California and engineered in Germany, according to our sources. That, however, is where the similarities will end. Despite its overall success as a revival of the iconic original design, Volkswagen is looking to move away from the "chick car" image of the New Beetle.

Designers have reportedly been ordered to create a more modern and sleek style for the next-gen Beetle that will be bigger than the outgoing model and make better use of available interior space.

The cutesy bug-eye look, rounded shape, and bulbous roofline are binned in favor of a more aggressive -- and more traditional -- style with a sportier stance and coupe-style roof as depicted in the drawings.

The new car is being designed so it can be easily adapted for a wide variety of model variants. The potential Beetle plan may also explain why VW has hesitated bringing the Scirocco -- a vehicle that would be similar in scope -- stateside.

A soft-top cabrio will come shortly after the hatchback's launch, with a sport wagon with small rear doors reportedly coming shortly thereafter. Other variants on the table include a micro-van, a pickup, and a sport wagon-based crossover -- with hotted-up versions also part of the product mix.

While plan to move away from the classic Beetle shape may end up backfiring if carried out, it's an understandable move for Volkswagen to attempt to create a sub-brand using the Beetle name -- much like what BMW is attempting with its Mini lineup.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...en_new_beetle/
Old 07-25-07, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Why they try to push a "Beetle" upmarket is beyond me. Beyond me. This car should start at 12k and be 16k loaded.

If they go upmarket, then bring us the Polo or a entry level Beetle.

If they had a Beetle, bare bones, starting at 10-12k, it would sell like nuts

Old 07-25-07, 07:54 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.
Old 07-25-07, 08:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks sorta Solara-ish...
Old 07-25-07, 09:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Will be neat to see the final product.
Old 07-25-07, 09:58 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why they try to push a "Beetle" upmarket is beyond me. Beyond me. This car should start at 12k and be 16k loaded.

+1

Beetles should be a people's car

the biggest fault of VW is trying to upscale everything they have over the competition
works well in europe but not here in north america
Old 07-25-07, 10:53 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The beetle is supposed to be the people's car
Old 07-25-07, 11:48 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see a bit of C30 in there.
Old 07-25-07, 12:27 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I won't be buying one either way but I do have to say I'm kinda shocked how long the new Beetle has gone without a major redesign... it came out in 98 and unless I missed something, it has gone with the same basic chassis, interior, exterior, and so on for a decade now, and sounds like it still has at least another 2 more years to go.

12 years is unheard of in this day and age for a model to go without being reworked in a major way...
Old 07-25-07, 01:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Originally Posted by UberNoob
+1

Beetles should be a people's car

the biggest fault of VW is trying to upscale everything they have over the competition
works well in europe but not here in north america
Originally Posted by MR_F1
The beetle is supposed to be the people's car

^^^Agreed.

VW is hurting right now and they continue making these mistakes. "Volkswagan" literally means "people's car" and they keep pushing over priced products at us. Even the current Beetle often stickers around $20K+. Please. VW Beetles should compete with Yaris, Fit, Versa, ect... for under $14K. Now they want to make it even more expensive.

And I'm not to excited by those intitial renderings.

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well, I won't be buying one either way but I do have to say I'm kinda shocked how long the new Beetle has gone without a major redesign... it came out in 98 and unless I missed something, it has gone with the same basic chassis, interior, exterior, and so on for a decade now, and sounds like it still has at least another 2 more years to go.

12 years is unheard of in this day and age for a model to go without being reworked in a major way...
Yeah, even high end sports cars known for long production runs don't go that long. It's pathetic.
Old 07-25-07, 01:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So when are they gonna make the Jetta a car for more than just girls.
Old 07-25-07, 01:09 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Do the three variants each count as a VeeDub for under seventeen thousand? Will they have to change the ad campaign?
Old 07-25-07, 01:12 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

VW's version of the upcoming Audi A1. More fun cars for the summer. I like the first rendering
Old 07-25-07, 01:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Do the three variants each count as a VeeDub for under seventeen thousand? Will they have to change the ad campaign?
Originally Posted by JLSC4
Even the current Beetle often stickers around $20K+.
I don't think most people see the new Beetle as a economical car. Most people that buy them don't buy for price, but for style. Also, the varients that are priced that high come with leather, turbocharged motors, monsoon stereos, and several other upmarket features... upmarket-equipped compact cars is a market that obviously exists. Some people just want all of the options for as little as possible... so that's who that market appeals to.

VW Beetles should compete with Yaris, Fit, Versa, ect... for under $14K. Now they want to make it even more expensive.
I disagree. I think the Beetle, based on what I said above about it being purchased for style more than price, needs to stay on the high side of the low end of the market. The Rabbit if anything should be the alternative to the Yaris and such, though they currently have it positioned as more of a Civic competitor than anything.

Ya know what I'd like to see from them? Something even smaller and cheaper than the rabbit but with their smallest diesel variant and offered for about 13-14k. Consider it an upmarket but even more fuel efficient competitor to the Yaris and Fit.
Old 07-25-07, 01:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which new car costs 12k in todays market?

Quick Reply: So much for Herbie: 2010 Volkswagen Beetle going full modern