Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

India Tata Motors Buys Jag and Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 08:19 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
lol you trying to say indians dont know what luxury is?

bad news buddy.. look at half the doctors across america... look at the engineers... and all the software guys at microsoft.. a GOOD MAJORITY of em are indian..

what are they driving.. mercedes... lexus.. porsche.. bently.. maserati's

****.. im only 18 and I got a lexus (2nd car) ... I think im off to a heck of a good start... just like the rest of us. Parents got an S550 E350 and we got a 528i

lol I aint braggin.. just making a point. just cuz INDIA.. bought out jag and land rover.. doesnt mean the names will go to ****.

The guys at Microsoft are doing well, so do the professionals in America but India remains one of the poorest country in the world with poverty rates ever increasing. Sadly even doctors do not make a lot of money in India. Your parents are doing well, but I doubt you are making any siginificant money at the moment.
Old 01-04-08, 09:01 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormwind
The guys at Microsoft are doing well, so do the professionals in America but India remains one of the poorest country in the world with poverty rates ever increasing. Sadly even doctors do not make a lot of money in India. Your parents are doing well, but I doubt you are making any siginificant money at the moment.
I was gonna comment about that as well but I didn't want to stir up any trouble.
No one is doubting that Indians don't have taste or know what luxury is but India the country is still a poor country. Meaning they are probably paying their workers (not everyone in India is Indian so this could mean anyone working in India) much less than in other countries, so maybe the quality will drop. There's a reason why so much outsourcing goes to India because it's more cost efficient, they can pay them far less for the same work. I can't comment on the quality of a car product coming from India but it is up for skepticism.
Old 01-04-08, 10:47 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm very interested in watching how this turns out, as i work on jags and rovers for aliving. it really can't be worse than being under ford ownership.
Old 01-04-08, 12:33 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Really??? So all the hundreds of thousands of highly educated professionals that are attracted to work in the US by big corporations have worthless degrees? FWIW India has some top class educational establishments and they certainly don't issue worthless degrees. In fact the Indian Institutes of Technology was ranked the third best technology university in the world in 2005 and with the cost of tuition continuing to rise more students are expected to travel to the sub-continent from the West to complete degrees.
I didn't mock the indian educational system at all.

I merely said, that if you come from a foreign country, most likely, the degree you earned will stand for nothing in the states.

As the guy after you posted, a lot of educated professionals have to work again to get an american degree in order for them to practice whatever they specialize in.

That's not to say for everyone and for everything but in MOST cases, it's what happens.

And it's fantastic that india has such a great educational instution. But again, there's a reason why foreigners still look to come study in the US. It's because an american degree means something in the world.
Old 01-04-08, 01:15 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430

I merely said, that if you come from a foreign country, most likely, the degree you earned will stand for nothing in the states.

As the guy after you posted, a lot of educated professionals have to work again to get an american degree in order for them to practice whatever they specialize in.

That's not to say for everyone and for everything but in MOST cases, it's what happens.

And it's fantastic that india has such a great educational instution. But again, there's a reason why foreigners still look to come study in the US. It's because an american degree means something in the world.
Engineering degrees are universal.

Everything else is second class.

Oooh, my ego is too big for this thread...

No really though, the next decade is gonna rock. The focus is not just shifting, but it's getting bigger to include Russia, China, and India.

And you thought the world was small yesterday... Thank goodness we're taking everyone along with us this time:
http://radian.org/notebook/first-deployment
Old 03-26-08, 02:48 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Report: Ford closes on Jaguar, Land Rover sale

Price tag said to top $2 billion

Tata Motors is buying Jaguar just as the automaker is ready to launch the new XF sedan.

By GREG MIGLIORE

Ford Motor Co.'s sale of British luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors Ltd. closed on Tuesday for more than $2 billion, Reuters is reporting.

The deal was signed Tuesday and is expected to be announced on Wednesday, March 26, an unnamed source told the wire service. It also calls for Ford to pay Tata $597.7 million to help cover retirement expenses for Jaguar and Land Rover workers.

Ford has been restructuring its global operations and is focusing on returning its North American business to profitability. Money from the sale is expected to be used in product development, CEO Alan Mulally has said.

The automaker sold Aston Martin to Kuwaiti holding company Investment Dar and former Benetton and British American Racing chief David Richards, last year.

Ford also has considered selling Volvo.

Tata has reportedly secured a deal with Citigroup and JP Morgan for $3 billion in new financing to back the purchase.
Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...461369613/1065
Old 03-26-08, 03:05 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I know this is a nearly three-month old post, but I felt very compelled to respond. This isn't true at all, or else graduate degree programs in the US would not accept most foreign students. In recent years, half of all incoming graduate students in the US were foreign students. Much of this is due to self-selection, but I disagree strongly with the assertion that "most likely" a foreign degree is worthless.

It is indisputable that, overall, the US has the best colleges in the world. However, that is a completely distinct issue from college degrees obtained in other countries being worthless.

Last edited by gengar; 03-26-08 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 04:17 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Price tag said to top $2 billion

Tata Motors is buying Jaguar just as the automaker is ready to launch the new XF sedan.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...461369613/1065
Does this mean they'll be bringing out that two-sitar sports car we've all been waiting for?

I'll get my coat...
Old 03-26-08, 06:15 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I am not so sure if it is true.....
Old 03-26-08, 10:13 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kyang91
I am not so sure if it is true.....
Well, it's on CNN. So, I think it's true.

We will see some upsale 2500$ TATA car badged as Landrover soon.
Old 03-26-08, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ford Officially Unloads Jaguar and Land Rover

Well, here it is.....we knew it was coming. Ford said Ta-Ta today to Jag and Land Rover. The new owner?........ India's Tata motors.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i..._534193_8.html

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is selling its storied Jaguar and Land Rover businesses to India's Tata Motors Ltd. in a deal that will net the struggling U.S. automaker about $1.7 billion -- roughly a third of the price it paid for the two luxury brands.

The deal announced Wednesday will expand the Indian carmaker's reach around the globe.

The agreement had been in the works for months as cash-strapped Ford sought money to fund its turnaround plan.

Tata will pay $2.3 billion for the British brands, but at closing, Ford will pay about $600 million into the Jaguar-Land Rover pension fund, Tata's statement said.

Ford (F: 5.87, -0.13, -2.16%) bought Jaguar for $2.5 billion in 1989 and Land Rover for $2.7 billion in 2000. But it has been struggling and wants to focus on its main brands.

Tata said it expects no significant changes in the terms of employment for Jaguar and Land Rover's 16,000 workers. It said the transfer of the brands would take place at the end of the second quarter.

"Jaguar and Land Rover are terrific brands," Ford CEO Alan Mulally said in a statement. "We are confident that they are leaving our fold with the products, plan and team to continue to thrive under Tata's stewardship.

"Now, it is time for Ford to concentrate on integrating the Ford brand globally, as we implement our plan to create a strong Ford Motor Company that delivers profitable growth for all."

Tata said in its statement Ford will continue to supply engines, transmissions and other components "for differing periods." Ford also will continue to provide environmental and other technologies as well as engineering support.

Tata Chairman Ratan N. Tata said his company will try to build on the brands' heritage, keeping their identities intact.

"We aim to support their growth, while holding true to our principles of allowing the management and employees to bring their experience and expertise to bear on the growth of the business," he said in a statement.

Roger Maddison, an official with Unite, Jaguar and Land Rover's main labor union, said the deal is good news for the automakers' employees as well as those who work for parts suppliers.

"Unite has secured written guarantees for all five UK plants on staffing levels, employee terms and conditions, including pensions, and sourcing agreements. The sale ensures our members futures and we look forward to working with Tata," Maddison said in a statement.

Ford shares rose 8 cents to $6.08 in premarket trading Wednesday. Its shares have traded in a 52-week range of $4.95 to $9.70.
Old 03-26-08, 07:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Hmmm, I woulda thought that with the XF coming out that Jaguar would have some potential for them. But I guess the really needed the cash. And i guess Jag will still be the car for the next Bond film.
Old 03-26-08, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I guess the really needed the cash.
That's the way it usually is with American firms....most of what they do is for short-term cash and profits.
Old 03-26-08, 08:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the way it usually is with American firms....most of what they do is for short-term cash and profits.
I could see Ford making some money off of a hybrid Fusion, well after a few years anyway. I mean, they developed the technology but only have it in one vehicle. Shouldn't they be applying it elsewhere for greater returns?
Old 03-27-08, 08:53 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

i checked ford.com jaguar and land rover are still listed there

Quick Reply: India Tata Motors Buys Jag and Land Rover