Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Genesis - New Images (Interior)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07 | 11:46 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

That steering wheel is going to feel weird the way how the wood is not continuous with the leather
Old 07-28-07 | 05:32 AM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that the center part of the steering wheel is covered with black tape and hiding the badge? Hmmm, something tells me this car is not going to be sold as a "Hyundai" - can we say new upscale division?

On Edit: I noticed on the link to the site, it shows other pics of the steering wheel without the tape over it. That badge is definitely not the Hyundai badge.. hmmm

Last edited by LetMeShowU; 07-28-07 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-28-07 | 06:19 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
nothing original, just copies form other makers... not feeling it@!
Well to be honest who has done something original in the entry luxury segment? I would say no one. BMW, MB, Lexus showed nothing innovative in terms of interior design either (if that is what you referred to).

I think Hyundai needs to blend in and be accepted before they do anything original or eccentric.
Old 07-28-07 | 08:47 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That steering wheel is going to feel weird the way how the wood is not continuous with the leather
Isn't that how it is with Infiniti and the Cadillac Escalade?
Old 07-28-07 | 09:44 AM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Has anyone else noticed that the center part of the steering wheel is covered with black tape and hiding the badge? Hmmm, something tells me this car is not going to be sold as a "Hyundai" - can we say new upscale division?

On Edit: I noticed on the link to the site, it shows other pics of the steering wheel without the tape over it. That badge is definitely not the Hyundai badge.. hmmm

Hyundai has already stated this will be a HYundai. Yjey have not made a decision on a sperate line for a upsacale brand or a brand to compete with Scion.
Old 07-28-07 | 12:53 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tom2006
Hyundai has already stated this will be a HYundai.
Really? That's not what I've been reading. I looked at the wording pretty carefully - yes, it's a Hyundai concept, but then again so was the Nissan Fuga (which became the Infiniti M), so that doesn't really mean a thing. No where in the press releases did it state this car was going to be branded a Hyundai.
Old 07-28-07 | 01:01 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by now they are trying to go for the "Lexus" look. Most may be suprised if this vehicle resembles the front of LS or IS
Old 07-28-07 | 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well to be honest who has done something original in the entry luxury segment? I would say no one. BMW, MB, Lexus showed nothing innovative in terms of interior design either (if that is what you referred to).
Hmm... I see plenty of innovation.

Even though generally criticized, the big German 3 (BMW, MB, Audi) have 'innovated' the iDrive, COMAND, MMI interfaces.

BMW did away with the auto shift lever and went to the little stalk (GREAT MOVE, complete waste of space in a large luxury sedan).

The Lexus LS ottoman in the segment is unique.

Lots of unique lighting touches in all of them.

I think Hyundai needs to blend in and be accepted before they do anything original or eccentric.
I think you're right there.
Old 07-28-07 | 03:17 PM
Tom2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Really? That's not what I've been reading. I looked at the wording pretty carefully - yes, it's a Hyundai concept, but then again so was the Nissan Fuga (which became the Infiniti M), so that doesn't really mean a thing. No where in the press releases did it state this car was going to be branded a Hyundai.
Hyundai execs have stated on numerous occasions in public that this model is a Hyundai brand. A dealer I know has told me as much. Dealers have supported Hyundai starting a new brand , seperate from the Hyundai brand, to launch their luxury cars. They all want to follow the Lexus model, as most dealers also have Toyota and Lexus brands and realize the potential.

Websites are not the most current/correct source for information, esp regarding a corporate stategy.

Use some common sense. This brand will be released in the US in early 2008 (fall 2007 in Korea) and Hyundai has not registered a new name, nor signed up dealers for a new brand, etc. They would need six months to build showrooms (and that doesn't account for land acq and permitting), assuming everything else was complete. And the Execs have stated with a new luxury brand that they would need seperate and unique showrooms.

Do a google search. This model is referred as a Hyundai in each article. If this was a new brand 6 months out from intro, the model would use the new brand name to draw attention to the brand. The same as Lexus and Infiniti di prior to their launch.

This model will be a Hyundai.

Last edited by Tom2006; 07-28-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-29-07 | 02:16 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tom2006
Hyundai execs have stated on numerous occasions in public that this model is a Hyundai brand. A dealer I know has told me as much. Dealers have supported Hyundai starting a new brand , seperate from the Hyundai brand, to launch their luxury cars. They all want to follow the Lexus model, as most dealers also have Toyota and Lexus brands and realize the potential.

Websites are not the most current/correct source for information, esp regarding a corporate stategy.

Use some common sense. This brand will be released in the US in early 2008 (fall 2007 in Korea) and Hyundai has not registered a new name, nor signed up dealers for a new brand, etc. They would need six months to build showrooms (and that doesn't account for land acq and permitting), assuming everything else was complete. And the Execs have stated with a new luxury brand that they would need seperate and unique showrooms.

Do a google search. This model is referred as a Hyundai in each article. If this was a new brand 6 months out from intro, the model would use the new brand name to draw attention to the brand. The same as Lexus and Infiniti di prior to their launch.

This model will be a Hyundai.
Then they will fail miserably. Nobody in this country is going to spend over 30k for a "Hyundai". Doesn't matter how "nice" it is or how "well" it performs. When you have the money to spend 30 plus thousand on a new car, you're not entering Hyundai showrooms.

I assume when you say "This brand will be released in the US in early 2008", you meant to say this "car". Anyhoo, unlike yourself, I don't have friends who are dealers that work for Hyundai (as if the dealers know anything anyway), but sure I'll take your word for it.

So great, the Genesis will be branded a Hyundai - I wish them luck with it. They will need it.
Old 07-29-07 | 06:12 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately, those headlights (judging from the exposed lenses) won't be as unique and innovative as the concepts (below). I love the concept's headlights!
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Genesis - New Images (Interior)-genesis.jpg  
Old 09-18-07 | 01:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

http://www.carupdate.com.au/1922/hyu...irst-pictures/
Old 09-18-07 | 02:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Does anyone know what the base price of a Genesis will be? I keep hearing $30K, but the Azera is a $30K car. They'll need some price separation between the two. Which means the Genesis will have to be mid-$30's or lower the price of the Azera. Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-18-07 | 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just more Hyundai Haterade here I see.

If this car comes out with the same options and size say as an ES350 or Avalon, for $10K less and it's RWD, I think it will do well.
but it wont, so it wont

:-)
Old 09-18-07 | 03:50 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Apparently it will be in between the GS/5 series/E class and LS/7 series/S class in size, RWD, V8 and priced at IS/3 series/C class levels.

Considering that Hyundai has upped its reliability considerably, what's not to like?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis - New Images (Interior)