Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Genesis - New Images (Interior)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 07:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that wood look real to you guys?
Old 09-18-07, 07:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess thats nice. That interior design seems so overdone and played out right now.
Old 09-18-07, 07:38 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks decent..........
Old 09-18-07, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Even if not 'perfectly' executed, it still looks like a huge leap forward for Hyundai.

I think many here look down on it because of the brand name and the junk they originally produced. Hyundai seems to be fully intent on moving upmarket from their position today, using Kia (their subsidiary) to carry the econo market. I see nothing standing in their way except time.
Old 09-18-07, 08:36 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That interior has a real cheap look to it.

It looks like an attempt to copy a Benz interior gone terribly wrong...
Old 09-18-07, 09:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the seats look cheap.

like those $29 Staples "leather" managers chairs.
Old 09-18-07, 09:35 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that cheap looking digital clock has got to go, especially w/ that big display it looks really out of place and outdated.
Old 09-18-07, 10:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just more Hyundai Haterade here I see.

If this car comes out with the same options and size say as an ES350 or Avalon, for $10K less and it's RWD, I think it will do well.
It's not going to happen. 10K less than ES350 is 23K, and the Azera already costs 24K base price so it's impossible. Hyundai has confirmed the Genesis will be it's most expensive sedan. Expect a base price of 27-32K. And I would not expect the standard features to match the ES350.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
does that wood look real to you guys?
Korean insiders are saying what you see is fake wood.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Even if not 'perfectly' executed, it still looks like a huge leap forward for Hyundai.

I think many here look down on it because of the brand name and the junk they originally produced. Hyundai seems to be fully intent on moving upmarket from their position today, using Kia (their subsidiary) to carry the econo market. I see nothing standing in their way except time.
Hyundai has been really struggling with sales. US sales have been flat for over a year now, and China sales are actually down.

Depending on specs and pricing, the Genesis might do well or it might end up like the Azera has: just another average Hyundai.
Old 09-19-07, 08:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's not going to happen. 10K less than ES350 is 23K, and the Azera already costs 24K base price so it's impossible. Hyundai has confirmed the Genesis will be it's most expensive sedan. Expect a base price of 27-32K. And I would not expect the standard features to match the ES350.

Korean insiders are saying what you see is fake wood.

Hyundai has been really struggling with sales. US sales have been flat for over a year now, and China sales are actually down.

Depending on specs and pricing, the Genesis might do well or it might end up like the Azera has: just another average Hyundai.
I've always thought that it's suprising their sales are flat. It seems they have competitive, nice looking cars and SUV's with great warranties. Just shows that it takes some time for consumers to change their perception of the brand. The Azera is a good example of unmet expectations. It does make you wonder how an even more expensive, upmarket Genesis will fare. VW has been trying to go upmarket in the U.S. for years with not much success.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-19-07 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-19-07, 10:14 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've always thought that it's suprising their sales are flat. It seems they have competitive, nice looking cars and SUV's with great warranties. Just shows that it takes some time for consumers to change their perception of the brand. The Azera is a good example of unmet expectations. It does make you wonder how an even more expensive, upmarket Genesis will fare. VW has been trying to go upmarket in the U.S. for years with not much success.
Here's the problem; their cars are competitive, but are they class leading? To change perceptions, you need class leading vehicles to make people take notice of your brand. As it stands right now, Hyundai has some very competitive vehicles, but none that are actually class-leading.

If people are happy with their Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans, why would they suddenly switch to Hyundai? The American brands have the most to worry about because their owner satisfaction rates are not that great, and their vehicles as a whole not as competitive as the Japanese.
Old 09-19-07, 10:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Here's the problem; their cars are competitive, but are they class leading? To change perceptions, you need class leading vehicles to make people take notice of your brand. As it stands right now, Hyundai has some very competitive vehicles, but none that are actually class-leading.

If people are happy with their Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans, why would they suddenly switch to Hyundai? The American brands have the most to worry about because their owner satisfaction rates are not that great, and their vehicles as a whole not as competitive as the Japanese.
Good points. Hyundai hasn't been innovative at all. They've done a good job of copying the successful styling and features of other brands, but haven't done anything innovative from an engineering or styling standpoint. Maybe that will be next?