Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Girly Cars That Some Men Love To Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07 | 08:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Girly Cars That Some Men Love To Drive

Girly Cars That Some Men Love To Drive

Posted in Generic trend stories on May 22nd, 2007

We at vcars have been confused by the amount of “men” we see proudly driving motors that are so transparently designed for women. While we would love to know the physiological reasoning behind those purchases, we know where our expertise lie and it certainly isn’t psychology. Consequently we decided to put our heads together and generate a list of feminine cars that we often see the male population of the UK driving.

You may all be thinking, “Well, what are the characteristics for a ‘feminine’ car?” Who knows? We don’t know the definitive answer to that, but we sure as hell know that when we see a 6ft lumberjack driving a Ford KA, there is definitely something strangely odd going on.

We proudly present our list of “feminine cars that some men love to drive” (in no particular order):

Ford Ka
They say that men buy ridiculously fast and expensive sports cars to compensate for the lack of … We believe that the Ka was built for men that know they are lacking absolutely nothing…besides from a masculine ride. This vehicle is actually smaller than the average man and holds as much power as a limping Chinchilla; and we men know that size and power is everything.

Contrary to common belief, not even a Ferrari engine-transplant, a thick spoiler and 19 inch alloys will ‘beef’ this puppy up. We all know it’s been tried.

Peugeot 206cc
No doubt about it, this vehicle is definitely not unattractive. It looks sexy and sleek, and when the roof is down, it even manages to pull off a sporty look that even men adore. However, a man driving to the pub in this vehicle just wouldn’t impress the local football team after a victory- not even with a masucline metallic black finish. This is designed for a sophisticated young lady that wants to take her girlfriends to a swanky little bar, to enjoy a round of dry-martinis and lemonades. Although we appreciate this vehicle for what it is (a chick-cart), we still get confused by the amount of men making this purchase so they can brag about owning a “sports car”. We said it has a sporty “look”- nothing else.

The New Mini
All petrol-heads can appreciate a well built car; and the German manufacturer BMW certainly don’t lack technical skills, so this little beauty definitely gets thumbs up for ingenuity. But we ask you an important question, are the inner workings of a glorious beast enough for a man, if the beast looks like a cute, fluffy little kitten?

In conclusion, it’s a perfect purchase for a female city-slicker that wants to be recognised for driving a reliable piece of kit. Unfortunately, there is no such glory for a man that drives this vehcile; any man seen behind the wheel will be asked what estate agent they work for, and what state the property market is currently in.

The new SLK
The SLK is another beautiful piece of German craftsmanship; it’s a finely tuned machine that certainly has enough calibre to impress the audience. However, there’s nothing really masculine about it. The front bumper can be deceiving at times, by pulling-off a mean, prowling glance, but that doesn’t last very long, and then it’s back to reality. It’s apparent; the SLK is the wife of the SL. The SLK doesn’t come cheap, so money is no object for any owner; we can only assume that any man driving around in a SLK has been pressured by their wife. If that’s the case, they should be driving a girly looking car…

MG TF
Unfortunately, the MG TF are currently no longer in production, but still extremely common on our roads. Like the 206cc, they can pull off the sporty look, without actually having the pedigree to overtake the average family saloon that’s on its last legs.

The MG TF is an extremely compact motor; perfect for a 2nd division footballer’s wife and her poodle. These are commonly seen driven by men; we at Vcars think we have come up with a logical reasoning for this- we just assume, “his car must need some serious repair after that accident. He’s lucky he can borrow his wife’s car in the mean time”

New VW Beetle
The VW Beetle is an absolute classic; any true petrol-head idolises the Herbie movies and the classic Beetle. No matter how small or inadequate the classic Beetle looks, it still looks just right whether the driver be male or female, and has a place in every motor enthusiast’s heart.

Unfortunately, the god-father didn’t pass its genes through in its entirety to the modernized niece. The niece accepted the notorious bubble body, but completely rejected the rough curves and sharp teeth. So in essence, we’re left with a vehicle that, simply, looks extremely, perfectly round.

This modernized update certainly lost a lot of its male cliental; however, we have noticed a lot of die-hard fans that just won’t let go. A man’s car needs a rough edge, a bit of stubble; it certainly doesn’t need a clean shave and perfect curves. There’s a rumour going ‘round that VW are going to introduce a “Hello Kitty” version. That sounds about right…
More pics : HERE

I think the miata/MX-5 belongs to the list too ...
Old 07-27-07 | 08:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

The SLK definately is girly when compared to the SL, but in all honestly, I like the "simplicity" of it. The SL is sooo much car that the SLK suffices for everyday driving.

I would hit it. It wouldn't be in my top ten, but I'd hit it...
Old 07-27-07 | 09:28 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

I agree with most of those, and would have to throw in the civic/eclipse/jetta/celica as well. My eyes will usually trail over whenever one of those are coming because 80% of the ones I see are driven by hot girls.
Old 07-27-07 | 09:35 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by MCG33
I agree with most of those, and would have to throw in the civic/eclipse/jetta/celica as well. My eyes will usually trail over whenever one of those are coming because 80% of the ones I see are driven by hot girls.
+1 on the Eclipse. I give an extra peek when I see one.
Old 07-27-07 | 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You may all be thinking, “Well, what are the characteristics for a ‘feminine’ car?” Who knows? We don’t know the definitive answer to that
Well, I know the answer to that. For the most part, there really isn't any....though, granted, that pink and white Ka comes close.

but we sure as hell know that when we see a 6ft lumberjack driving a Ford KA, there is definitely something strangely odd going on.
Odd? Perhaps. It DOES show that some people can think for themselves and don't care about stereotypes.

Although we appreciate this vehicle for what it is (a chick-cart), we still get confused by the amount of men making this purchase so they can brag about owning a “sports car”. We said it has a sporty “look”- nothing else.
There you go...proves my point exactly, so why be confused? For some guys it makes perfect sense.

The New Mini

Unfortunately, there is no such glory for a man that drives this vehcile; any man seen behind the wheel will be asked what estate agent they work for, and what state the property market is currently in.
I wouldn't want to be around to observe that man's response to a question like that......it would probably consist of a middle finger and a couple of four-letter words.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-07 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-27-07 | 10:40 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Gonna have to disagree on the Mini. A good friend of mine has a Mini S with the John Cooper Works supercharger. Nothing girly about that car.
Old 07-27-07 | 10:45 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

The Mini is so fun to drive.
Old 07-27-07 | 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest, the Mini, especially the base, non-supercharged model, IS quite popular with females. So are the Miata, VW convertibles, Beetles of any sort, Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, Scion xA, Chrysler Sebring convertibles, Toyota RAV4's, Honda CRV's, Ford Escapes, Saab 9-3s, and many non-turbo Subarus...but that doesn't necessarily make them "girlie" cars.
Old 07-27-07 | 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think the miata/MX-5 belongs to the list too ...
Thanks Andrew.

Fortunately, I don't care.
Old 07-27-07 | 03:27 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

i doubt the mini should be on the list...

Old 07-27-07 | 03:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I might agree that I see more women driving the SLK than men but it's a car I would drive...if I could fit in it. Maybe I can, never tried. Anyway, it looks very cool and packs a punch, especially in AMG mode. When I see guys in them, they look cramped.....but they look cool too.
Old 07-27-07 | 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks Andrew.

Old 07-27-07 | 04:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks Andrew.

You're welcome
I test drove one a couple weeks ago, very fun little car, & it's loud & raw, I would drive one (I prefer the hardtop convertible version though)
Old 07-27-07 | 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
You're welcome
I test drove one a couple weeks ago, very fun little car, & it's loud & raw, I would drive one (I prefer the hardtop convertible version though)
Is your butt still sore from the test-drive?
Old 07-27-07 | 05:01 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

mmarshall - love the sig man. very cool.

Quick Reply: Girly Cars That Some Men Love To Drive